Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 10:54 AM

69 posts, read 139,377 times

Advertisements

I’d like to take a minute and talk about the weather in Florida. Like many topics, some of this will obviously be opinion based, however hopefully it’s a non-controversial subject and can be productive to others who may come through and read it. I understand there are many maps and graphs of data, I would just like some personal input, and hopefully engage in discussion.

I personally have lived here twice. Once in 99-00 and again in 2011-2012, both times in the Orlando area. My wife and I hope to make return for a third time once we gain some financial momentum and can make it a productive and permanent move. We just arent sure what region...

What I would like to discuss is the different weather characteristics inherent to the different regions of Florida, and hopefully get some direct insight from people in those regions.

Other than the sunshine, we particularly enjoy powerful thunderstorms and the wind, rain, and awe inspiring lightening that can come with that. So I am curious about those experiences as well. Obviously Florida is hot as rule, we get that much. What I would like to drill down on is the following:

-What areas may be the least and most humid?
-What areas are have the most rainy or least rainy seasons?
-What areas can I find the most electric and powerful T-Storms?
-What areas have the best ocean characteristics? (Temp, Clarity, etc)

Thanks in advance for any response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 08:27 PM

901 posts, read 2,249,449 times
Come on.. Anybody here with a degree in Meteorology that can help this guy?

Old 08-03-2013, 06:30 AM

25 posts, read 52,588 times
I've lived in Florida for my entire life, and I'm moving next week. The main reason? I'm tired of the weather here!

But to try to answer your questions...

-You're not going to find anywhere in Florida that isn't humid. Generally speaking, southern parts of the state are more humid than the northern parts. If you're looking to avoid humidity, stick to the beaches - the sea breeze makes the situation much more tolerable.
-Again, nowhere in Florida escapes the rain during the summer. I think Key West gets less rain than the majority of the state, but probably not by much.
-I'm under the impression that the most powerful storms can be found in the south, along the western coast (Tampa and below). However, I lived at Flagler Beach for a number of years, and the storms there were always impressive. Even when it didn't rain, you could look outside and see tons of "heat lightning" every evening for a few hours.
-Depends on what you like. Me? I like cooler water temperatures and lots of waves, so I prefer the Atlantic side toward the northern part of the state. However, beaches in the south tend to be much more clear. Water in the Gulf is quite a bit warmer than the water in the Atlantic. As far as the best beach in terms of temperature and clarity, Sarasota is beautiful, warm, and has the sugar-white sand that people typically imagine when they think of the beach.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Weather forecast for all of Fla for 80% of the year = Hot and humid with chance of afternoon showers.

I never noticed much in the way of cooler temps by the beach but just a hot and humid slight wind flow

Old 08-03-2013, 08:44 AM

30,439 posts, read 21,280,188 times
My area gets the least amount of rainfall.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:51 AM

652 posts, read 1,653,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMac1981 View Post
The Florida Keys prolly have the warmest water, it's clean and at least in Key West there are no waves. Usually the more shallow the water, and the farther in you can go the warmer it will be because the sun will be able to warm it more than a deeper area.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
My area gets the least amount of rainfall.
Thought you were just generalizing but sure enough Tampa is in the blue ..
Florida's Climate and Weather: Average Annual Rainfall

Old 08-03-2013, 10:56 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,597,702 times
It almost always rains at 5PM on the SE Coast during the wet season...which always makes the PM commute a living hell..

Old 08-03-2013, 10:59 AM

861 posts, read 1,456,639 times
Anywhere in northern FL, probably in the Pensacola region.

Central FL is pretty rainy, the FL Keys are the least rainy.

Definitely Tampa. The region was rated the lightning capital of the world.

The Keys and the FL Panhandle.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:56 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMac1981 View Post

Other than the sunshine, we particularly enjoy powerful thunderstorms and the wind, rain, and awe inspiring lightening that can come with that. So I am curious about those experiences as well. Obviously Florida is hot as rule, we get that much. What I would like to drill down on is the following:

Thanks in advance for any response.
Hahahaha! It's Florida! There isn't much of a difference anywhere except the water is clearer in the gulf than Daytona north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida