Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 06:38 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
I lived in North Fort Myers, still have home with 3 1/2 acres in future devolopment area, zoned 16 units per acre. Bought in 03 for real cheap and is paid for. When the next building boom comes, and we all know it will happen, I will sell.
My buisness was involved in all the crazy building going on during 05 and 06 in Charlotte and Lee counties and I made very good money. I knew it would not last so I saved money and invested some, and not in real estate.
Use to look at permit boards on all the new homes and the same names came up as buyers.
Good for you! Someone with some common sense during the crazy days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 07:35 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
I think that many of the vacant properties are a result of HOA rules that prohibit tenants. I'm sure their intentions were good, but now we have issues. My HOA permits 20% investors which is a regular topic of discussion in our meetings.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:38 AM

541 posts, read 1,995,698 times
We have a ton of homes and condos for rent here in Celebration. The rents they are getting are nowhere near the mortgage/tax/insurance cost but I guess it is better than the home just sitting there. Tons of condos for sale. Yet they keep building them! Prices still way too high.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:55 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
My HOA permits 20% investors which is a regular topic of discussion in our meetings.
Karen - How is this investor limitation enforced? As condo units are by definition individually owned, how can an unit owner be prohibited from leasing out his property?

I'm a 20-year condo owner in NY state and I do not believe it's possible (or legal) in NY to have such a limitation in condo by-laws. However, in a co-op, since teants and prospective purchasers require board approval, I think it's possible to have such a limitation.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:38 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
Default Restrictive Covenants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy-NJ-NY-ME? View Post
Karen - How is this investor limitation enforced? As condo units are by definition individually owned, how can an unit owner be prohibited from leasing out his property?

I'm a 20-year condo owner in NY state and I do not believe it's possible (or legal) in NY to have such a limitation in condo by-laws. However, in a co-op, since teants and prospective purchasers require board approval, I think it's possible to have such a limitation.
It's in the HOA docs and enforcement must be a nightmare for the management company. It also happens quite often in new communities where the homeowner has to agree to live in the property fulltime for a period of time, usually two years. There is a new high rise near TIA that is sitting nearly empty because of this owner-occupant requirement. Of course there are allowable exceptions for military, relocations, etc. Sounds absurd, yes?

Old 11-19-2007, 09:31 PM

28 posts, read 110,663 times
Default Its a warning sign for any neighborhood

Rental homes are bought by speculators for profit.

I'm one of them.

Speculators always sell sooner than long time residents and may be willing to take lower prices.

If the percentage of rental homes is low, then you are in good shape. But if it gets too high, it's time to get out.

I would bail once the rentals exceeded 20%.

Its too hard to keep your value after that.

Good luck!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:50 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,657,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Many are being used as grow houses to grow Mary Jane. Big problem here.

That may be what some are being used for but other than Fla being essentially a police state when it comes to pot, I fail to see any problem with it.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:05 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,907,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Rental homes are bought by speculators for profit.

I'm one of them.

Speculators always sell sooner than long time residents and may be willing to take lower prices.

If the percentage of rental homes is low, then you are in good shape. But if it gets too high, it's time to get out.

I would bail once the rentals exceeded 20%.

Its too hard to keep your value after that.

Good luck!
This has some numbers from just one builder in Lee County. Most of the homes are now up for rent."Fort Myers/Cape Coral is the worst market in the country right now; it saw the most rapid inflation in prices and now it's seeing the most rapid deflation. It just doesn't have the industries that would attract new residents. People are either already here or retirees."

The News-Press, news-press.com, Business, How Hovnanian lost big in Lee County (http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071117/BUSINESS/311200009/1075 - broken link)

Last edited by firemed; 11-20-2007 at 07:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida