Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 03:13 PM

13 posts, read 19,981 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

My girlfriend (26) and I (24) (lesbian couple) are looking to move somewhere in Florida. I have lived in Polk county my whole life and my girlfriend moved her a few years ago from Baltimore. We currently live in Winter Haven which is a nice and quiet place surrounded by lakes and there is a lot of development going on at the moment which means there are great job opportunities. The reason we want to move is mainly for change. We don't feel this is the place for us. Everywhere you look, you will find some sort of restaurant. We want an environment that offers more than just food such as dog parks, parks for kids, educational opportunities for children, large farmers market. Natural food and supplies stores. We want an environment that promotes an active lifestyle. We both are currently in college seeking our associates degrees and our daughter will be starting kindergarten next year so we want a place that offers good schools as well as a college near by. Not a high crime area. We want to settle down and buy a house eventually. The career fields we are working towards are Human Services and Nutrition, Health, and Wellness. We don't want to live in a small town, 30,000 or more population is good for us.

We really have no clue where to start as far as finding a place to move. If you have any suggestions, advice, and/or ideas, we would really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 03:25 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,144,152 times
College girls, Tallahassee or Gainesville would be perfect for you.

Both have everything you want.

Sent from my HTC DNA

Old 09-19-2013, 09:25 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Take a look at Jacksonville. It has a few very gay-friendly neighborhoods that fulfill what you're looking for in terms of other criteria and a job market supportive of your careers. Check out the San Jose and Springfield neighborhoods.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:34 PM

13 posts, read 19,981 times
Thank you everybody for your responses. Sorry for the delay. We aren't looking for a college town per se, but, just a place near college. We are looking for place to live settle down, so we don't want to be surrounded by the college atmosphere. Are all of the cities mentioned family oriented? Thank you again for the responses everybody.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:06 PM

102 posts, read 185,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegegirls View Post
Thank you everybody for your responses. Sorry for the delay. We aren't looking for a college town per se, but, just a place near college. We are looking for place to live settle down, so we don't want to be surrounded by the college atmosphere. Are all of the cities mentioned family oriented? Thank you again for the responses everybody.
Denver suburbs or in the high rockies. You would fall in love.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:01 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Take a look at Jacksonville. It has a few very gay-friendly neighborhoods that fulfill what you're looking for in terms of other criteria and a job market supportive of your careers. Check out the San Jose and Springfield neighborhoods.
Quote:
Yes, and I would say the Springfield neighborhood especially.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:25 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,741 times
I second the suggestion for the Melbourne area.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:04 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Hello everybody,

My girlfriend (26) and I (24) (lesbian couple) are looking to move somewhere in Florida. I have lived in Polk county my whole life and my girlfriend moved her a few years ago from Baltimore. We currently live in Winter Haven which is a nice and quiet place surrounded by lakes and there is a lot of development going on at the moment which means there are great job opportunities. The reason we want to move is mainly for change. We don't feel this is the place for us. Everywhere you look, you will find some sort of restaurant. We want an environment that offers more than just food such as dog parks, parks for kids, educational opportunities for children, large farmers market. Natural food and supplies stores. We want an environment that promotes an active lifestyle. We both are currently in college seeking our associates degrees and our daughter will be starting kindergarten next year so we want a place that offers good schools as well as a college near by. Not a high crime area. We want to settle down and buy a house eventually. The career fields we are working towards are Human Services and Nutrition, Health, and Wellness. We don't want to live in a small town, 30,000 or more population is good for us.

We really have no clue where to start as far as finding a place to move. If you have any suggestions, advice, and/or ideas, we would really appreciate it.
Sarasota FL. Has some of the best schools in the state, public and private. Best beaches in the country, lots of parks, is the "culture coast" of Florida, is loaded with every natural/organic food option including farmer's markets, organic farms, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, has three small colleges including Ringling College of Art and Design and a branch of USF, and lastly has more alternative healing practitioners than any place I have ever seen. There is a good size population of gay and lesbian living here also. It has a smallish but vibrant and walkable downtown (rare in Florida). Be sure to put this on your list to check out.

ETA: There will be people piping up that this is a "retirement town." Well that is true but it is also very family oriented; most of the coments from people who say it's all retirees don't live here and know virtually nothing of this area. We have lived here a total of 22 years now, and we also lived in Lakeland so I know the comparisons. This place is heaven compared to central FL (although Lakeland and Winter Haven are charming in their own ways, very lovely)

Old 09-22-2013, 08:15 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Quote:
Hello everybody,

In your fields, I would at least go after your Bachelors degrees.

Agree with Gypsy on Sarasota.

I

Old 10-25-2013, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 670 times
I grew up in Melbourne. But I moved to Mount Dora which has a small town feel and lots of activities for the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida