Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:08 AM

111 posts, read 148,215 times

Advertisements

I am a painter but not a mechanic or hvac technician so what is the market there like.I am neither a doctor so i dont see much of a reason to stay where i am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 09:20 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
There are commercial painting firms, residential painting firms, do some Google searches and see what comes up. Painting is one of those trades that will be around forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrema View Post
I am a painter but not a mechanic or hvac technician so what is the market there like.I am neither a doctor so i dont see much of a reason to stay where i am.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:43 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Always a need for painters.... people buy houses, commerical property etc that needs to be painted and repainted. Not sure about salary

Now if you have no skills or no (relevant) college degree, the job market is bad anywhere, NOT just FL

Old 01-05-2014, 09:46 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
There is quite a lot of development of both residential and commercial buildings now. I would think painters would be in demand. I know there is a lot of competition, but during the boom there was a painter in our area who obtained a lot of jobs because he did not rip people off. His prices were incredibly reasonable and he was always busy.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:50 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
There is quite a lot of development of both residential and commercial buildings now. I would think painters would be in demand. I know there is a lot of competition, but during the boom there was a painter in our area who obtained a lot of jobs because he did not rip people off. His prices were incredibly reasonable and he was always busy.
If you are good you will perhaps find a job. But the construction market is flooded with illegals, so pay is suppressed. Thank you "open door" border people.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:10 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Under federal law, it is illegal for any employer to hire, recruit or refer for a fee any alien not authorized to work in the United States. This includes hiring contractors who employ illegal immigrants. There are criminal and civil penalties associated with this conduct.
It is also illegal for any employer not to verify work authorization. An employer who does not correctly complete an I-9 for each employee three days after the employee is hired is also subject to criminal and civil punishment.

For first offenders, there is a $250-$2,000 fine per illegal employee.'
For a second offense, the fine is $2,000-$5,000 per illegal employee.
For employers who have been convicted of hiring illegal immigrants more than twice, the fine can range from $3000-$10,000 per employee. If the employer demonstrates a pervasive pattern of knowingly employing illegal immigrants, he or she could face additional fines, and up to six months in jail.
This does not include “harboring” illegal immigrants, or knowingly employing ten or more illegal immigrants in one year. Harboring an illegal immigrant can lead to ten years of prison time.
Additionally, under the RICO act, employers hiring illegal immigrants have been sued, resulting in large settlements. The lawfully documented workers of the Zirkle Fruit Company recently settled a class action lawsuit brought under RICO. The suit alleged that their employer knowingly hired undocumented workers, driving down their wages.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Under federal law, it is illegal for any employer to hire, recruit or refer for a fee any alien not authorized to work in the United States. This includes hiring contractors who employ illegal immigrants. There are criminal and civil penalties associated with this conduct.
It is also illegal for any employer not to verify work authorization. An employer who does not correctly complete an I-9 for each employee three days after the employee is hired is also subject to criminal and civil punishment.

For first offenders, there is a $250-$2,000 fine per illegal employee.'
For a second offense, the fine is $2,000-$5,000 per illegal employee.
For employers who have been convicted of hiring illegal immigrants more than twice, the fine can range from $3000-$10,000 per employee. If the employer demonstrates a pervasive pattern of knowingly employing illegal immigrants, he or she could face additional fines, and up to six months in jail.
This does not include “harboring” illegal immigrants, or knowingly employing ten or more illegal immigrants in one year. Harboring an illegal immigrant can lead to ten years of prison time.
Additionally, under the RICO act, employers hiring illegal immigrants have been sued, resulting in large settlements. The lawfully documented workers of the Zirkle Fruit Company recently settled a class action lawsuit brought under RICO. The suit alleged that their employer knowingly hired undocumented workers, driving down their wages.

Laws are nice if they were enforced. All you have to do is look at our immigration policy. Just last week a police officer was hit head on the day after new years by an illegal that was deported twice before. I was in construction over twenty years in this area. I know what is out there, and its not legal. I spent many a day working along side illegals . Good hard workers, looking to bring home some money for there family's. I respect that, I blame our government for not enforcing our laws and creating problems. You have contractors paying people under the table for cheap labor. Which in turn creates a problem for us that play by the rules and in turn suppresses the wages for all legal workers.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:36 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrema View Post
Painters are a dime a dozen here as construction/trades in general brought in thousands form out of state during the housing boom. When the recession hit many stayed on as they couldn't afford to move elsewhere. As a result consistent work is difficult to find as the larger companies tend to staff with immigrant laborers who work for far less than what experienced Americans will and those who prefer a higher payscale (above $15 an hour) tend to work independently. I personally know a painter/plasterer with 20+ years experience who was struggling to find consistent work despite all kinds of great local references (and a high skill level) who was forced to move out of state in order to secure stable year-round employment.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:46 AM

Labor and material are your biggest expenses when bidding on work. If you get your labor under market (illegal labor), You can underbid everyone else. This has been going for over 15 yrs in this area. The wages for skilled trades people have suffered. IF the jobs and wages for white collar workers were under assault by illegal workers, i am sure more people would take notice.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:45 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Painting in new construction is not a career choice, it is spray and go and you will be lucky to make $15 an hour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: