Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 09:08 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,243,946 times

Advertisements

I see these big, beach/tourist shops in every coastal Florida town. They are usually on expensive pieces of property, don't seem to have enough traffic to even pay the light bill but there will sometimes be a half dozen in a small beach town. Seems like you couldn't sell enough $5 T-shirts to cover the nut that these big places must have. Anyway, always wondered and hope someone has some insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 09:34 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,853,012 times
In Destin, there are literally a dozen of these along a 10-mile stretch of Hwy 98 ... and more are under construction! While they all seem to advertize "Going out of business -- 50-75% off!", I've never seen one actually go out of business. (Cocoa Beach is quite similar with as many beach stores in an even smaller area).

Logically, they must be making money, either through large mark-ups or buying traffic, but, one rarely sees more that a few cars in the parking lots. Like you, I'm also somewhat befuddled by the large number of these stores (???) It seems like if there is one large successful beach store (eg; Ron Jon's in Cocoa Beach) - three others will open on adjacent lots(?) -- Perhaps, due to excellent locations, the stores are designed as 'place-holders' for future intended business/building sales (except, as stated, they don't seem to go out of business?)

-- Another one that surprises me is the large number of 'Fireworks stores' along the highways in Florida (fireworks aren't even legal here ... and apparently they sell them with a disclaimer where the buyer states the fireworks will be used for agriculture purposes to frighten away birds!).

In a related vein, I've never really been able to wrap my mind around the traffic necessary to support the high overhead involved in many retail stores. For example, one would have to sell 20K, $5 T-Shirts (above) with a 50% mark-up every month --- just to support $50K est. in monthly building lease, utilities, advertizing, employee overhead costs. (That's a lot of T-shirts!) ... plus, for 2-3 months, there really isn't much beach traffic here. (Go figure!!!)

Last edited by jghorton; 01-17-2014 at 09:50 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 09:41 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,007,110 times
Another reason I like Vero. Not here...yet.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:17 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,130,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I see these big, beach/tourist shops in every coastal Florida town. They are usually on expensive pieces of property, don't seem to have enough traffic to even pay the light bill but there will sometimes be a half dozen in a small beach town. Seems like you couldn't sell enough $5 T-shirts to cover the nut that these big places must have. Anyway, always wondered and hope someone has some insight.
All the Israeli's got together and formed a conglomerate and they pool their buying power.

Those Wings/Eagles/whatever beach stores are EVERYWHERE not just on Florida beaches. I saw one in Times Square and there was one at Fisherman's Wharf last time I was there.

Anywhere there are tourists, you'll find one.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:26 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,341,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

In a related vein, I've never really been able to wrap my mind around the traffic necessary to support the high overhead involved in many retail stores. For example, one would have to sell 20K, $5 T-Shirts (above) with a 50% mark-up every month --- just to support $50K est. in monthly building lease, utilities, advertizing, employee overhead costs. (That's a lot of T-shirts!) ... plus, for 2-3 months, there really isn't much beach traffic here. (Go figure!!!)
High volume (there's a sucker born every minute and a lot of people that normally make wise choices turn into brainless idiots on vacation) and merchandise from China. You'd be shocked to see the markup on some of the junk in these places.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:32 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,631,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
All the Israeli's got together and formed a conglomerate and they pool their buying power.

Those Wings/Eagles/whatever beach stores are EVERYWHERE not just on Florida beaches. I saw one in Times Square and there was one at Fisherman's Wharf last time I was there.

Anywhere there are tourists, you'll find one.
There is a small beach town in NC that has two Wings stores almost directly across the street from one another. I think they both close for the winter, too. Just a little farther up the road(about 100 yards) is a local surf shop that still sells some of the same crap you can get at wings, but also sells surfboards and other bigger ticket items. All of these places have been in business for years so they have to be making a decent profit.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:01 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,324,885 times
All one has to do is look up the history behind Ron Jons surf shop to know that these shops with the right location make an absolute fortune.

Blue Herons grew up in a beach town and knows this well.

LOL I have actually sold items to many Wings stores back in the day when I owned my own business so I know the actual way many survive.

Huge orders into the 10s of thousands. I shipped to one primary location in town with each order being boxed separate from the others. When I asked why, Herons above posted why. They buy in huge chunks and share the discounts.

Story is these people are smart business owners. They make a ton of money.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:15 PM

910 posts, read 2,222,914 times
As Harry said, Vero Beach is wonderfully free from tacky tourist shops, and the town won't even allow highrises to be built along the beach. There was talk of putting parking meters in at beach parking lots but that was quickly shot down too. This is one great place to live !

Old 01-18-2014, 08:19 AM

17,553 posts, read 39,191,005 times
Guess I'm just weird, but I grew up in Florida and still love the tacky little beach shops - the wilder, more colorful and stuffed with stuff the better..... Bradenton Beach is low-key, old Florida and has a number of these cute, funky little shops painted in wild colors. Love it!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:29 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,007,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Guess I'm just weird, but I grew up in Florida and still love the tacky little beach shops - the wilder, more colorful and stuffed with stuff the better..... Bradenton Beach is low-key, old Florida and has a number of these cute, funky little shops painted in wild colors. Love it!
Not those kind of shops. The ones they're refering to are HUGE, with tacky merchandise, and on every corner. Think Myrtle Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida