Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 03:24 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times

Advertisements

I'm really just ashamed really about this story. It's not in the news or in the newspaper... this is just a story I know of and wanted to share because, frankly I'm frustrated at the lack of courtesy and just well-being some ppl show towards others.

A pedestrian got hit by a car in a parking lot, the driver was going to fast and hit this person. The person had their foot ran over (luckily that was all) and she was in a lot of pain, and was knocked over, and was lying on the ground. The person that hit this woman stayed IN HER CAR AND DID NOT EVEN GET OUT TO HELP THIS WOMAN AND/OR SEE IF SHE WAS OK. Not only that, NOBODY else offered any help. I am just shocked and this story just really struck a cord with me.

When EMS came, a person FINALLY came out to check the scene - but this person wasn't checking to see if the pedestrian was ok, this person came out to make sure his car was not hit in this accident. This kind of stuff really eats me up b/c I do a lot to help others, at least in my opinion. If a stranger comes up to me and needs gas $, I will help them out. I help others when I really believe someone is in need. And then when see this............ all I can do is shake my head and wander what in the hell happened to some places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 05:08 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
How about this one in the past week. I dont know where it happened.

Lady is in car accident. Dead in front seat. Injured children in the back seat. Person or persons came along and took the groceries out of the front seat.

How low are we going to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I'm really just ashamed really about this story. It's not in the news or in the newspaper... this is just a story I know of and wanted to share because, frankly I'm frustrated at the lack of courtesy and just well-being some ppl show towards others.

A pedestrian got hit by a car in a parking lot, the driver was going to fast and hit this person. The person had their foot ran over (luckily that was all) and she was in a lot of pain, and was knocked over, and was lying on the ground. The person that hit this woman stayed IN HER CAR AND DID NOT EVEN GET OUT TO HELP THIS WOMAN AND/OR SEE IF SHE WAS OK. Not only that, NOBODY else offered any help. I am just shocked and this story just really struck a cord with me.

When EMS came, a person FINALLY came out to check the scene - but this person wasn't checking to see if the pedestrian was ok, this person came out to make sure his car was not hit in this accident. This kind of stuff really eats me up b/c I do a lot to help others, at least in my opinion. If a stranger comes up to me and needs gas $, I will help them out. I help others when I really believe someone is in need. And then when see this............ all I can do is shake my head and wander what in the hell happened to some places.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:23 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
I blame this culture of "not wanting to get involved" ...... on it.

People simlply have too much to lose by getting involved, potentially their life. When one intervenes in someone elses problem, there is a potential for it to escalate to something one never wanted to happen. .
The saying "no good deed goes unpunished" comes to mind....

Also, safety issues. If someone is being beaten or fighting somewhere in public. Would u feel comfortable intervening? what if a gun is pulled? a knife? what if you're shot? beaten to a pulp? That's people's mentality these days.

There's too much to lose.

I dont like it, but I think that's the way things are going. People fear helping others because of the possible repercussions.

what if this person who had their foot run over sued you for "helping" him/her ....let's say u "help her" but while u were just trying to help...u inadvertantly messed her foot up even more because you're not a medical professional and didn't know that moving broken bones is never a good idea. Oops! now u have a law suit on ur hands. There's too much risk involved in helping people, unfortunately. It's a shame.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:55 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I was attacked on Clearwater Beach during spring break when I was a teen. There were hundreds of people on the beach witnessing me being dragged by my hair and threatened with death by this gang of drunk guys, hurting me, and who eventually attempted a half-assed drowning. Not ONE SINGLE PERSON came to my aid, and in fact people were laughing and thought it was joke. I haven't talked to anyone about this in decades because it took a long time to get over; and now I am posting on this board, because yes, people can be a$$holes!

Old 06-08-2014, 06:00 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Here's the Florida Good Samaritan Act:

Florida Good Samaritan Law

Basically, if someone in good faith tries to help an injured person, they're not liable for civil damages.

I'd like to think that incidents like the ones ComSense, gypsychic and Spring posted are not the norms in society.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:03 PM

Sorry that you had that experience Gyps.

Its not a new concept unfortunately....

A Cry in the Night - The Kitty Genovese Murder — Prologue — Crime Library

Old 06-08-2014, 06:04 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
There is a LOT of insurance scamming in China and the rest of the world. If you stop to help a scammer, they just may choose to use you as their goldmine.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:17 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
There is a LOT of insurance scamming in China and the rest of the world. If you stop to help a scammer, they just may choose to use you as their goldmine.
At the very least, Spring Hillian's story seems to have involved a pretty unskilled scam artist.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
At the very least, Spring Hillian's story seems to have involved a pretty unskilled scam artist.
Which scam artist?

Here is a link to the grocery story...

Thieves Steal Groceries From Wrecked SUV While Dead Victim Is Still Inside

Old 06-08-2014, 06:39 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,648 times
This here is why I FINALLY got out of Florida. I am a South Florida native too but it got to the point where I couldn't stand the opportunistic, "everyone for themselves/dog eat dog" attitudes. I couldn't even walk my dogs peacefully in my neighborhood without someone almost running me down or yelling out the car window. I even had a guy a few blocks away throw rocks at my dog as we walked by because he "was tired of dogs crapping in his yard. We were NOT even on his property, plus I always picked up after my dog. I wasn't carrying plastic bags full of poop for fun!

I am actually very happy to report that the attitudes in my new state are VERY different. Here people go out of their way to be helpful, kind, and polite. This may have more to do with the fact I do now live in a very rural, small town type area though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: