Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,757 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I grew up living in a suburb of Pittsburgh and never enjoyed living in the suburbs nor near the city of Pittsburgh. I have been living in Spain for the last two years. I obtained my masters from spain and my BS in Computer Science from a university in PA.

The job market in spain is terrible at the moment so I want to move back to the US but to a city where there are job opportunities, plenty of things to do, and good weather. I have always heard good things about Florida and have been thinking about either Orlando or Miami.

Any thoughts of this matter? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 01:23 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,951,759 times
Would have been helpful if you listed a single criteria for what you like vs just asking Orlando or Miami.

They both have their advantages over each other, but what could be an advantage largely depends on perfrence.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Would have been helpful if you listed a single criteria for what you like vs just asking Orlando or Miami.

They both have their advantages over each other, but what could be an advantage largely depends on perfrence.
I apologize, I didn´t mean to be so general. If it helps any, I included a list of things that are of interest to me.

1. Able to walk around city or take public transportation
2. Living near a beach
3. I dont care so much about amusement parks or clubs
4. Job opportunities in the IT or business fields
5. I speak spanish fluently and plan on learning portuguese in the near future
6. Cheaper Cost of living, buying vs renting
7. Places to shop or things to do, like going to parks (nature)
8. Museums

Old 07-15-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhybridx View Post
I apologize, I didn´t mean to be so general. If it helps any, I included a list of things that are of interest to me.

1. Able to walk around city or take public transportation
2. Living near a beach
3. I dont care so much about amusement parks or clubs
4. Job opportunities in the IT or business fields
5. I speak spanish fluently and plan on learning portuguese in the near future
6. Cheaper Cost of living, buying vs renting
7. Places to shop or things to do, like going to parks (nature)
8. Museums
1. Miami Beach is certainly walkable and there are other pockets across the Miami area, but don't expect downtown to have a lot of vibrancy at street level. The metrorail is nice there but it doesn't go to the Beach, and therefore it's usefulness is diminished for me. However there is an easy bus transfer to make up for that.

Downtown Orlando certainly fits the bill. There are tons of cafes, bars, restaurants, live theater, comedy clubs, dance clubs, and even an increasing number of shops all within easy walking distance. SunRail now connects the north and south burbs with the city and the Lynx bus system is not bad going north, south, east and west along 2 main corridors of development. The busses start early and run late with most of these main routes running every 15 minutes which makes looking at a schedule needless. Downtown also has Lynx connections to Disney (via express bus), I-drive, Universal, UCF, etc, all at Lynx Central Station, so you could easily get around the metro since you'd be in the center of it.

All in all this category is a drawl despite Miami Beach being the best urban experience in all of Florida. albeit very touristy and doesn't feel like a place people settle in.

2. Anywhere in Miami will be closer as the crow flies to the beach. Some of the cheaper suburbs on the extreme south western edge of town will take you some time to get to the beach, and you might be slower than your Orlando counterpart shooting out to Cocoa or Daytona.

For me waves are important, so South Florida is out. However, the water stays warmer in the winter and has that Caribbean teal that is so breathtaking. Hollywood Beach is also one of my favorite beach towns in the state, but if asked to choose I'd rather be in NSB kicking back with my board.

3. Well there's something in both cities then you won't need. However consider that Orlando having both gives you the opportunity to take out of town guests to some fantastic parks by day, and some hot nightlife by night.

4. I don't have personal experience in this area, but all articles I read points to Orlando having the better IT job market, but barely.

5. You'll get to use your Spanish in both cities, but there are parts of Miami where it is the preferred language to be spoken. Only now are some areas in Orlando becoming like this, and really they usually also speak English so Spanish is just a plus.

6. No question, Orlando is much cheaper in every single way.

7. This is about even too. There is nature everywhere in this state, be it a crystal clear natural spring in Orlando, or the tropical and lush Keys of South Florida. Take your pick, they have different feels but both areas have natural recreation options that scream Florida.

8. Orlando is closer to St. Augustine, the only kind of museum I even get excited about.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:49 PM

745 posts, read 1,584,391 times
Getting around, or trying to get out of Orlando sucks, and it takes hours, even if it is 45 miles away. Plus the tolls.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:29 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
[quote=OrlFlaUsa;35667899] "1. Miami Beach is certainly walkable and there are other pockets across the Miami area, but don't expect downtown to have a lot of vibrancy at street level. The metrorail is nice there but it doesn't go to the Beach, and therefore it's usefulness is diminished for me. However there is an easy bus transfer to make up for that.

Downtown Orlando certainly fits the bill. There are tons of cafes, bars, restaurants, live theater, comedy clubs, dance clubs, and even an increasing number of shops all within easy walking distance. SunRail now connects the north and south burbs with the city and the Lynx bus system is not bad going north, south, east and west along 2 main corridors of development. The busses start early and run late with most of these main routes running every 15 minutes which makes looking at a schedule needless. Downtown also has Lynx connections to Disney (via express bus), I-drive, Universal, UCF, etc, all at Lynx Central Station, so you could easily get around the metro since you'd be in the center of it.

All in all this category is a draw despite Miami Beach being the best urban experience in all of Florida. albeit very touristy and doesn't feel like a place people settle in."

I knew you were a complete Orlando homer but this post really takes the cake. To suggest Downtown Orlando a draw with Downtown Miami/Miami Beach in terms of an urban environment is pretty much delusional. "Tons of cafes, bars, restaurants", etc within walking distance in Downtown Orlando????? Not even close if comparing to the typical downtown area where the term "tons" is used. Furthermore one doesn't really need mass transit to get anywhere in Downtown Miami or Miami Beach's core as both have far more concentration of things to do in terms of restaurants, bars, clubs and shops. A prime example...Miami Beach's Lincoln Road.

Lincoln Road Mall - Stores | Shopping | Restaurants - Miami Beach

Old 07-16-2014, 08:34 AM

[quote=kyle19125;35670617]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
"1. Miami Beach is certainly walkable and there are other pockets across the Miami area, but don't expect downtown to have a lot of vibrancy at street level. The metrorail is nice there but it doesn't go to the Beach, and therefore it's usefulness is diminished for me. However there is an easy bus transfer to make up for that.

All in all this category is a draw despite Miami Beach being the best urban experience in all of Florida. albeit very touristy and doesn't feel like a place people settle in."

I knew you were a complete Orlando homer but this post really takes the cake. To suggest Downtown Orlando a draw with Downtown Miami/Miami Beach in terms of an urban environment is pretty much delusional. "Tons of cafes, bars, restaurants", etc within walking distance in Downtown Orlando????? Not even close if comparing to the typical downtown area where the term "tons" is used. Furthermore one doesn't really need mass transit to get anywhere in Downtown Miami or Miami Beach's core as both have far more concentration of things to do in terms of restaurants, bars, clubs and shops. A prime example...Miami Beach's Lincoln Road.

Lincoln Road Mall - Stores | Shopping | Restaurants - Miami Beach
Tonight Kyle, get in your car and head down to DT Miami and enjoy yourself. See all the wonders of monolithic condo tower bases mixed with electronics stores, and so on. Then just walk on over to the walkable pockets that I acknowledged such as Coconut Grove, South Beach, and get back to more on how it was. Certainly beats downtown Orlando's bungalow neighborhoods connected to the CBD via free bus circulator, and the charming and beautiful Lake Eola park as centerpiece.

Now where was my homerism when I clearly stated how much more urban and walkable Miami Beach is? I simply called it a drawl because Miami Beach is an ultra high end resort with very little to offer the day to day resident without having to leave via car or bus to get to the other walkable areas.

In reality neither Miami or Orlando will offer a truly walkable urban life so it's kinda like pick your poison, hence the reason for a drawl.

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 07-16-2014 at 08:42 AM..

Old 07-16-2014, 02:40 PM

745 posts, read 1,584,391 times
Why not somewhere in Tampa Bay?

Old 07-16-2014, 11:52 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times
I'd say that for your list, Miami wins in every way except cost.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:49 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,214,684 times
I agree with the above. Miami is more expensive but better. It is close to the best beaches in Florida. Has the warmer weather than inland Orlando (although summers in Orlando are hotter, the overall annual temp is warmer in Miami). Miami has more of a Caribbean feel, and is also more urban. You're probably better off there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida