Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 07:08 PM

37 posts, read 64,108 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are retired, and living in WV. We are really getting sick of winter and are looking to relocate to North Florida, and am considering Gainesville. We will be going to Florida sometime in May or June for at least one week to see for ourselves. I have perused this forum to get a feel for what Gainesville is like, and come away with mixed feelings. So I am really interested in comments by current residents as to:
(1) Is Gainesville a good area for retirement?
(2) Would you recommend buying a house in Gainesville or one of the communities West of the city?
(3) If we live West of the city, what is traffic like into Gainesville?
(4) Any other thoughts as to retirement in Gainesville?

We want to live in a quiet area but still want reasonable access to the city facilities (health, arts, etc.).

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,144,152 times
Gainesville is not a bad city for retirement. Its a college town as you know with good healthcare and sports/arts from the university.

What do you like to do? what made you choose Gainesville?

Old 03-04-2013, 10:28 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshenretire View Post
My wife and I are retired, and living in WV. We are really getting sick of winter and are looking to relocate to North Florida, and am considering Gainesville. We will be going to Florida sometime in May or June for at least one week to see for ourselves. I have perused this forum to get a feel for what Gainesville is like, and come away with mixed feelings. So I am really interested in comments by current residents as to:
(2) Would you recommend buying a house in Gainesville or one of the communities West of the city?

We want to live in a quiet area but still want reasonable access to the city facilities (health, arts, etc.).

Thank you!!!
It's an awful city for retirement because it doesn't really offer much for retirees. The university is huge and UF students love to party. The town of Gainesville doesn't have much to offer besides UF. DEFINITELY visit first.

Have you considered a small town along the coast?

Old 03-05-2013, 03:17 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,144,152 times
It really depends on your lifestyle and what you like to do.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:58 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,938,396 times
Taxes in Alachua Coumty are high along with cost of homes,not that desirable for retiree.I have lived in North FL as a retiree for 22 years.
You will find people are centered around church and family,bible belt.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,203,395 times
I'd stay clear of Alachua County. The property taxes and cost of homes are very high for the area. You'd get much better value in the surrounding counties such as Levy, Gilchrist, and Marion and yet still be within 30-45 minutes of Gainesville if you want to go to a UF sporting event or presentation. The students do get very annoying and there's no escaping them.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:31 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,524,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It's an awful city for retirement because it doesn't really offer much for retirees. The university is huge and UF students love to party. The town of Gainesville doesn't have much to offer besides UF. DEFINITELY visit first.

Have you considered a small town along the coast?
It has been rated one of the best towns to retire many times now. Forbes just listed it this year. I don't think you understand that college towns always make many of these lists for retirees.

Gainesville, Florida - The 25 Best Places To Retire In 2013 - Forbes

Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I'd stay clear of Alachua County. The property taxes and cost of homes are very high for the area. You'd get much better value in the surrounding counties such as Levy, Gilchrist, and Marion and yet still be within 30-45 minutes of Gainesville if you want to go to a UF sporting event or presentation. The students do get very annoying and there's no escaping them.
All of those counties are out in the sticks. You can find plenty of reasonably priced homes in Gainesville. Especially if you are not looking in the zones for the best schools. Students are easy to escape by living west of 75.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Taxes in Alachua Coumty are high along with cost of homes,not that desirable for retiree.I have lived in North FL as a retiree for 22 years.
You will find people are centered around church and family,bible belt.
Gainesville is the most educated city in Florida and one of the most liberal. Gainesville has a gay mayor. It is NOT the bible belt at all.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshenretire View Post

Thank you!!!
I'd suggest looking west of 75 and in some areas that are not zoned for the best schools since that drives up price. Traffic is all relative to when you are driving. Rush hour times can get pretty congested.

I'd put various other college towns ahead of Gainesville but if you want a college town in Florida it would be Gainesville or Tallahassee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida