Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,686 times

Advertisements

Hi, looking for things to do that would be interesting between Orlando and NOLA. The child is 10. We were planning on hitting the theme parks in Orlando and doing New Year's Eve in Orlando, but we have now decided to head to the Sugar Bowl before returning home to Ohio. We can take 1 day or 3 days to get to NOLA. I don't care if we stop and see the world's largest ball of yarn, as long as we have fun, it's kid friendly, and perhaps the child learns something. Any ideas? I've heard the NOLA WWII museum is nice. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 11:29 AM

334 posts, read 1,153,166 times
The big Naval Air Museum and Fort Pickens are both in Pensacola and both are well worth a stop.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:51 AM

24,413 posts, read 27,029,855 times
If you go in season, try snorkeling with Manatees in Crystal River!

River Ventures Manatee Tour Center - Crystal River - Reviews of River Ventures Manatee Tour Center - TripAdvisor

Old 12-09-2014, 12:16 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,191,552 times
Does he watch racing? Maybe do a tour of the Daytona International Speedway and then head North West to New Orleans. I even loved the tour and I do not watch racing.

Or... in Christmas Florida just outside of Orlando on Rt. 50 there is a park Fort Christmas that has a replica of the fort where a battle between the Indians and settlers took place that is interesting. It also has playground, bb and tennis coutrts, in addition to the Old Florida houses/chiurch/ etc set up in one area of the park to walk through and learn about the early settlers of Florida and how they lived.

Or check out the Space Center in Titusville, Florida and see some rockets and the Space shuttle.

Or Head to the National Seashore and take the wildlife drive, see mangroves and marsh, gators and Eagles etc. as well as a beautiful natural beach with rocket gantries and the space center as a backdrop to the ocean when you stop at access 1.

Or go to the top of the light house at ponce Inlet light house museum.

Or do an airboat ride

Or head to St. Augustin and tour the Castillo de San Marcos and the Pirate and Treasure Museum.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:56 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,352,415 times
Having family in LA I have made this trip plenty of times. I would stop by Gainesville or Tallahassee on to see the campuses and stadiums. As you're going to the Sugar Bowl I imagine you are college football fans and the Swamp and Doak Campbell are both considered hollowed grounds of college football. Plus both campuses are really beautiful. If you stop in Tallahasee you can also see all the capital sights like the State Capital and the Governor's Mansion. After that the beaches of Destin and Pensacola are beautiful, although it's probably too cold to swim this time of year. The battleship in Mobile Alabama is definitely worth seeing.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,686 times
Thank you, everyone. Your responses are very much appreciated!

Old 12-26-2014, 07:41 PM

823 posts, read 1,128,102 times
I was also going to recommend the Alabama Battleship park in Mobile. They have other things to see there too, a few planes and a submarine.
For a food stop, if you like BBQ, I would recommend stopping at "The Shed" in Ocean Springs, Miss. Their place was featured on the Travel Channel's show about the best BBQ places in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida