Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 01:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,127 times

Advertisements

I am a gay man just about to graduate from college I am got to be a certified HVAC Technician, and yes I know what your thinking there's not a lot of gay men in that field. But I decided I do not want to be put into a box that human civilization has created for me. So my question, is there anybody or there that could give me some advice on how I should go about trying to get a job in my field, seeing how most people in this field are heterosexual men. Oh and the main reason I am asking is because I live in the south, currently in Texas but trying to move back to Florida where I was born and raised. So do I have a better chance of finding a job in Texas (near San Antonio) or back in Florida, and if in Florida which city do you think I have the best chance? Thank you so much for anybody that could give me some advice on this matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 04:27 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
As a gay man as well I would steer you toward SE Florida (Broward or Palm Beach County) or the Tampa Bay area (especially St Petersburg and Tampa to a lesser degree). Both areas will have decent demand for HVAC Techs and a more likely comfort level at work, not to mention plenty of social opportunity.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:28 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Being gay won't hold you back in any major city in FL.
Orlando, Tampa/St-Pete, and SE FL are all very open when it comes to that.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:04 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
What does being gay have to do with being an HVAC Technician? Why would this even be an issue, unless you make it one?

Old 01-12-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
What does being gay have to do with being an HVAC Technician? Why would this even be an issue, unless you make it one?
Precisely.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:47 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

Perhaps if you were gay in a field of study/profession dominated by straight, blue collar men, you would share the OPs apprehension at how he may be received.

It's not whether OP will make it an issue. It will be if others make it an issue.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Perhaps if you were gay in a field of study/profession dominated by straight, blue collar men, you would share the OPs apprehension at how he may be received.

It's not whether OP will make it an issue. It will be if others make it an issue.
I get this, but gays don't face much bitterness in Florida's major cities, if any at all. In my days as a mechanic, I worked and interacted with several gay men, and none of them were treated unfairly by anyone.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:12 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJohnson87 View Post
I am a gay man just about to graduate from college I am got to be a certified HVAC Technician, and yes I know what your thinking there's not a lot of gay men in that field. But I decided I do not want to be put into a box that human civilization has created for me. So my question, is there anybody or there that could give me some advice on how I should go about trying to get a job in my field, seeing how most people in this field are heterosexual men. Oh and the main reason I am asking is because I live in the south, currently in Texas but trying to move back to Florida where I was born and raised. So do I have a better chance of finding a job in Texas (near San Antonio) or back in Florida, and if in Florida which city do you think I have the best chance? Thank you so much for anybody that could give me some advice on this matter.
We own a HVACR company in Georgia and we don't care what your sexual preference is. We just need to know if you have your EPA license and if you have any real-work experience. I don't know why you would feel the need to bring up that you're gay at all, it's not on the job application.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:11 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Like others have said I don't think you will face any type of prejudice an also I agree to stick to SE Florida or Central Florida as those areas seem to have higher salaries in the field.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:17 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I get this, but gays don't face much bitterness in Florida's major cities, if any at all. In my days as a mechanic, I worked and interacted with several gay men, and none of them were treated unfairly by anyone.

Good to know others won't make it an issue for him in Central and South Florida.

Being gay is not something that is necessarily "advertised," but guys on the job ARE going to talk about sex, their wives/girlfriends, etc. The office girl is going to inquire as to his plans for the weekend with his girlfried.... And when they do (and they always do), the OP would want to know he isn't going to be in a "deep south" kinda situation when he says, "actually, I don't have a girlfriend...." I think it's reasonable that someone know what they should expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida