Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 06:41 PM

15 posts, read 13,338 times

Advertisements

my wife and I currently live in rural nnj, and will be leaving the workforce in 2016.we have family and friends in Jacksonville and lake worth but the east coast seems a little busy for us.we have visited the west coast from venice to( naples to expensive) but nice.looking for safe,low crime areas. single family neighborhoods,with low amount rentals. close to amenities, beach.will be visiting estero,bonita springs,and punta gorda in july. any info. greatly apprec. areas to avoid a plus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 08:36 PM

290 posts, read 340,889 times
If you move to Venice you'll be in the company of many other retirees.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:28 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,807,748 times
Quote:
low amount rentals. close to amenities, beach.
You need to define "low".

Old 06-03-2015, 05:01 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,139,106 times
Actually the entire east coast isn't "busy" and there are areas that are quieter than much of the west coast. You might check out places like Palm Coast and Vero Beach/Sebastian which offer fairly low housing costs and are hardly considered overcrowded.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:12 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,281,741 times
Why would a retiree rent? Or is that your idea of snow birding? Low Rent? Even IMHO Modest Rent is not to be found anyplace a retiree would want to stay in Florida. Example : Port Charlotte Fla. 2bed 1.5 bath 1 car garage maybe only a carport no pool not on a canal 30 minutes+ to Gulf Coast Beach .. min $850+Utilities.... Nicer Home usually 3 bd 2 bath 2 car garage and a pool with screened Lanai.. $1100-$1500 a month + Utilities

Old 06-03-2015, 06:43 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,200,243 times
You mention Estero, Bonita Springs, and Punta Gorda. We looked at Estero and Bonita Springs as well. Realize that if you want to be close to a beach, you'll have to travel some from most of Estero. There is a big bay between the mainland and barrier beach. Punta Gorda is mostly boating not beaches.

If beaches are what you want, I would look at Nokomis (just north of Venice), Venice, and Englewood. Then further south, Ft Myers and Bonita Springs (you already said Naples was too expensive). I think you find Nokomis, Venice and Englewood to be the most reasonable $$ wise and least crowded. Once you get up into Sarasota it gets a bit more crowded.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:59 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,171,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Why would a retiree rent? Or is that your idea of snow birding? Low Rent? Even IMHO Modest Rent is not to be found anyplace a retiree would want to stay in Florida. Example : Port Charlotte Fla. 2bed 1.5 bath 1 car garage maybe only a carport no pool not on a canal 30 minutes+ to Gulf Coast Beach .. min $850+Utilities.... Nicer Home usually 3 bd 2 bath 2 car garage and a pool with screened Lanai.. $1100-$1500 a month + Utilities
I am in a very similar position as the original OP except I currently live in Baltimore. To me, $850+utilities for a house is dirt cheap. My daughter currently pays more than that for a 1 BR apartment and she was lucky to find that. I could easily swing $1,100 or so a month in rent.

My intention is to sell my house here and move south. I plan to rent also, as I'm not sure where I'd like to permanently end up. My original plan was southwest Florida, but I haven't ruled out the Jacksonville area as I like its diversity and walkability - especially the Avondale-Riverside area. I also have family in that area - my father was from Jacksonville.

I also fell in love with Savannah, but in the historic district I'd likely have to be looking at a 1BR with my budget. Maybe spend a year or so there, and then move on. Beaufort SC is another place on my wish list.

Back to the original OP - maybe try looking at the Sarasota area, or possibly Northport or Port Charlotte? I did love Venice, but found it pricier than other areas nearby. Of course, it's right on the gulf, so that's the plus. Bradenton was also a possibility.

I really haven't considered the crime stats - remember, I'm from Baltimore. It's kind of hard to scare me.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:22 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,352,972 times
I moved from Savannah once to Daytona Beach. The housing prices fell through the roof once I left there. Daytona is dirt cheap, but not for us.

I like the historical district too, but I always called it the hysterical district due to the rent prices! There is no way in the world that they can justify those prices in that economy, and yet they do, The area is surrounded by two bad ghettos and the river too, so you feel a little hemmed in there.

For what its worth, I found Savannah much more friendly that any Florida town I've ever been to. With that comes a lot of the old South poverty and discrimination problems too. They aren't blatant, and there is a tiny bit of progressiveness there, but it is what it is. Still, if we could afford to live there we would, but its too pricey, and the south part of town is just anyplace USA.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
By Low Rent,I Ment Low Amount Of Rental Homes In The Area OrLow Amount Of Rentals In A Particular Development.Do Gated Comm. Tend To Have Lower Amoints Of Rental homes? Don't Want To Live Were There Are People constantLy Moving In An out

Old 06-09-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually the entire east coast isn't "busy" and there are areas that are quieter than much of the west coast. You might check out places like Palm Coast and Vero Beach/Sebastian which offer fairly low housing costs and are hardly considered overcrowded.
Thanks Will Have To Check Out The Palm Coast also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida