Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 07:03 AM

20 posts, read 156,043 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are exploring different cities to live in Florida and are having a difficult time choosing the best one for us. I've visited Jax, Orlando, Miami, and just about all of the towns in between. The only one in contention for us that I've yet to visit (I'll do so this weekend) is Tampa/St Pete.

Most important for us is that I am able to continue my career in financial services. She is a musician, so an art scene would be very important for us as well. In addition, we would like if there was at least a small Asian culture (population, markets, restaurants) present. Aside from those factors, everything else is kind of secondary...

However! Significant pluses would be: a foodie scene, public transportation, beach and park access, low crime, low cost of living. Not concerned with politics, natural disasters, or public school systems. We do not have children.

I know nowhere is going to present itself as utopia, but I'd love some feedback on what might be a good area for us! If you could suggest specific neighborhoods, that'd be even better!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 05:54 PM

290 posts, read 340,475 times
Miami and Tampa are the best for financial services. Miami has the best art scene (not sure about music) and St Pete might be a distant second... What type of Asian community are you looking for? The only respectable one I'm aware of is the Little Siagon part of Orlando. Tampa has a few areas too but they are quite a bit smaller. Not sure about Miami and I really doubt there is much in Jax.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:37 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,795,365 times
Jax has a large Filipino community because of the military base and yes Orlando does offer a decent sized Asian community and I think it would a nice city for a young couple like yourself.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:44 PM

By the way, what area of financial services are you in?

Old 07-16-2015, 09:31 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,857,800 times
Find a job first and then look for a nearby area meeting your criteria. Florida has several very diverse markets and location should not pose a problem. On the other hand, what is the point of moving somewhere in Florida ... and then finding it necessary to move somewhere else (or commute an extremely long distance) for employment?

Old 07-18-2015, 06:22 AM

20 posts, read 156,043 times
Right now I am a financial representative and am looking to either continue that or to get my 66 and enter an advisory role (currently have 7/63).

My wife is Chinese, and while that'd be the most important to have for us, we both enjoy all Asian foods and cultures. We're coming from Utah, so it won't be hard to improve upon (although they admittedly have a fantastic poly community)--we are not at all expecting a New York or San Francisco Chinatown. Some authentic restaurants and markets would go a great way for us, though!

Old 07-18-2015, 06:43 AM

109 posts, read 163,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGatsby View Post
Miami has the best art scene (not sure about music)
Having the best art scene in Florida is like bragging about being the prettiest ugly person.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGrad View Post
Right now I am a financial representative and am looking to either continue that or to get my 66 and enter an advisory role (currently have 7/63).

My wife is Chinese, and while that'd be the most important to have for us, we both enjoy all Asian foods and cultures. We're coming from Utah, so it won't be hard to improve upon (although they admittedly have a fantastic poly community)--we are not at all expecting a New York or San Francisco Chinatown. Some authentic restaurants and markets would go a great way for us, though!
Professionally speaking it seems like you'd want to be where the money is. SE Florida is the most affluent area so I'd probably pick somewhere between Jupiter and Coral Gables.

I don't think these is a Chinatown in Florida. Each city has a couple Asian markets and you'll probably luck out with at least 1 or 2 authentic restaurants.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez8 View Post
Having the best art scene in Florida is like bragging about being the prettiest ugly person.
Miami's art scene isn't bad, have you ever been to Wynwood? One of the coolest places I've been to in Florida.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:27 PM

112 posts, read 259,997 times
Smile Perhaps Orlando?

Being that I grew up in central Florida, I can tell you that Orlando has a very diverse metro area. You should check it out. Lots to offer in that area too. I currently live in Naples. I love it for so many reasons. While we have a lot of financial companies, I can't say that we have that much of an Asian community. The reasons I love Naples are below.

- Amazing weather (year round)
- Beautiful beaches (year round)
- Just a beautiful extremely well kept area. (roads, buildings, parks)
- Proximity to Tampa and Miami for concerts, sports and other special events.
- Proximity to Key West. (I'm in KW at least 3-4 times a year)
- Awesome boating & fishing. (year round, are you seeing a trend here?)
- Quantity and quality of great unique dining. (hardly any chains or fast food)
- Quantity and quality of high end retail. (Everything from Target to Gucci)
- Proximity to three great airports means you can fly anywhere! (RSW, TPA, MIA)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida