Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 10:27 AM

6 posts, read 21,892 times

Advertisements

moving to South Florida - looking for best private schools (could be Ft Lauderdale/Boca/Weston/Miami) and also places to live. looking for pluses/minuses or anything to help narrow search. schools are most important to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 07:36 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
That is a large area from Miami to Boca. Where will your work be? What is you budget for private schools? The best private schools can cost $30k a year.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:01 PM

i know it is a large area - and understand the costs - but want to pick the schools first - will work around the rest

Old 11-23-2015, 04:09 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitclose View Post
moving to South Florida - looking for best private schools (could be Ft Lauderdale/Boca/Weston/Miami) and also places to live. looking for pluses/minuses or anything to help narrow search. schools are most important to us.
Saint Andrew's PK-12 in Boca Raton.

Pine Crest School in Boca Raton PK-8, in Fort Lauderdale PK-12. There may be others in Broward County, but I am not familiar with them.

Ransom Everglades in Coconut Grove section of Miami 6-12.

For elementary, Gulliver or Riviera Day School, both of which also have 6-12, located across Coral Gables, Pinecrest and the Killian section of Miami-Dade.

Of course there are many others, but to my knowledge these are the "best", at least measured by tuition prices.

Among those, Ransom Everglades is the premier in the sense that it offers a standout university-like curriculum, especially at the high school level, and this is reflected in the price tag. Many graduates go on to Ivy League universities.

Miami is more expensive, especially in terms of housing, than Boca Raton and Broward County in general, but Miami also has a greater concentration of wealth and career opportunities for those with the right set of connections, wealth and skills, probably in that order.

All three offer warm temperatures all year round and no state income tax. In my opinion, Palm Beach and Broward Counties have better beaches than Miami-Dade.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 11-23-2015 at 04:21 AM..

Old 11-23-2015, 07:17 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Pine Crest in Fort Lauderdale would be my recommendation as it has the size (2500 enrollment) to offer diversity and clubs/athletics to round out the top-notch academics allowing students to get the well-rounded experience.

https://www.pinecrest.edu/

Old 11-24-2015, 08:24 AM

thank you all! it is good to hear more rave reviews about pine crest, ransom and gulliver - we already put in applications there! we don't want to apply to religious schools so st. andrew's is out - but wanted to find one more school to apply to... we heard of american heritage, benjamin school and university schools - any idea which is the "best" of those three? and are they a very distant third or just behind the others mentioned? i will look into riviera day school - although i do prefer a K-12 as my daughter will be entering 5th grade.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:58 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
thank you all! it is good to hear more rave reviews about pine crest, ransom and gulliver - we already put in applications there! we don't want to apply to religious schools so st. andrew's is out - but wanted to find one more school to apply to... we heard of american heritage, benjamin school and university schools - any idea which is the "best" of those three? and are they a very distant third or just behind the others mentioned? i will look into riviera day school - although i do prefer a K-12 as my daughter will be entering 5th grade.
I would throw in University fourth behind Pine Crest, Ransom Everglades and Gulliver without too much of a dropoff. In my opinion the others would be a bit of a fall off.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:00 AM

Default Where to live if kids at pine crest in ft lauderdale?

Is Weston too far from pine crest ft lauderdale campus? Looking for a neighborhood and love Weston but wondering if too far from ft lauderdale. Any pluses and minuses welcome to living in one place versus another.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:20 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Is Weston too far from pine crest ft lauderdale campus? Looking for a neighborhood and love Weston but wondering if too far from ft lauderdale. Any pluses and minuses welcome to living in one place versus another.
Weston is a nice place to live. American Heritage and University School are closer than Pinecrest. Both are good schools but the atmosphere is different. American Heritage has a more competitive academic environment, University School is more nurturing and forgiving academically. Heritage is larger than University School although both are smaller than the public schools around here. Both have lots of clubs, sports and activities. Fine arts is better at American Heritage.

Plenty of kids commute by bus to Pinecrest from Weston. There is a bus that leaves from Tequesta Trace Park. I think it is too long to commute to school. Pinecrest is a fine school but its far from Weston.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:22 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would throw in University fourth behind Pine Crest, Ransom Everglades and Gulliver without too much of a dropoff. In my opinion the others would be a bit of a fall off.
My ranking would be American Heritage ahead of Pinecrest then University school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida