Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 11:02 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times

Advertisements

Florida governor signs law ending funding to clinics providing abortions.
TALLAHASSEE, FLA. | BY BILL COTTERELL

Florida Governor Rick Scott on Friday signed a law that cuts off state funding for preventive health services to clinics providing abortion and imposes abortion restrictions already being tested before the U.S. Supreme Court.

Florida is among many states adopting new abortion laws as conservatives seek to chip away at the U.S. Supreme Court's landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion.

Scott signed 68 new laws and issued statements on some non-controversial bills on Friday but did not comment on the abortion statute.

The bill, which easily passed the Republican-controlled legislature earlier this month, has been the target of television advertisements by Planned Parenthood and protests at the Capitol by women urging a veto.

John Stemberger, president of the Florida Family Policy Council, called the law "a historic victory," in a statement.

State funding of abortion was already prohibited, but the new law also blocks money for services for low-income women at the clinics.

It also requires doctors to have admitting privileges at a hospital - a type of formal affiliation that can be difficult to obtain - within a "reasonable" distance of clinics.

In addition, the law requires annual inspection of clinics by health authorities and tightened rules on disposal of aborted fetal tissue.

"For Rick Scott to prioritize political pandering over his own constituents' access to healthcare is more than cynical. It's shameful," Laura Goodhue, executive director of the Florida Alliance of Planned Parenthood Affiliates, said in a statement.

She predicted HIV rates will "skyrocket" and teenage pregnancies will rise because women will lose access to regular treatment at state-funded clinics.

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering a challenge to a similar law in Texas, where several clinics have closed because of new restrictions.

Legislative sponsors in Florida argued that the law was not meant to shutter clinics but protect women with new safety rules.

The law takes effect July 1 but will probably be challenged in court quickly. Howard Simon, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida, said he was not surprised the governor signed the bill.

"He claims to be for small government, pro-freedom and opposed to putting government in between people and their doctors – except when it comes to Florida's women," said Simon.

Another Florida law passed last year, requiring women to wait 24 hours before getting an abortion, recently took effect and faces a continued legal challenge.

I love how PUKES are for "Individual Liberties" yet they want to control the bodies of WOMEN & now have "Religious Liberties" bills being passed in Georgia & North Carolina to discriminate against Gays!

They only care about "their" religious beliefs which are exclusionary just like the Taliban!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 12:12 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,937 times
They don't want people to have access to abortion or birth control. This whole issue is the #1 thing Republicans are down right stupid on.

Making abortions more difficult to obtain doesn't stop them from happening, it only makes them happen in less safe circumstances. I couldn't imagine what I would do to myself if something was growing inside me that I didn't want. Like a parasite sucking my life out of me. Yuck. Yet some guy who a UFO clearly beamed down in Tallahassee wants to tell a woman what to do with her body and to deny her the access to control her own body.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:26 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Source : Florida governor signs law ending funding to clinics providing abortions | Reuters

Old 03-26-2016, 03:45 AM

509 posts, read 517,706 times
If you don't like it, move to another state.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:42 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
If you don't like it, move to another state.
Americans, free people that they are, move somewhere and then work through the political process to make the place suitable to them; this has been going on since the birth of our nation. If you don't like it you can move to another country.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Americans, free people that they are, move somewhere and then work through the political process to make the place suitable to them. If you don't like that you can move to another country.
There are plenty of states in this country where they dont have to be bitter (California and NY come to mind). No reason they have to come here and try to destroy the culture we have valued for so long. Florida is obviously not a suitable place for these people. There is no reason for them to be here and be unhappy.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:47 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,446,599 times
PP argues that the funding cuts services to women. On the flip side, PP does not do mammograms (they erroneously argue that they do in public but admit in filings that no facility does). They get 85% of their money from the performing of abortions.

Bottom line is that there are public health facilities that already provide health services, family planning, etc and PP, who is the primary beneficiary of abortion funding, is primarily an abortion provider, not a health care provider.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:28 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
There are plenty of states in this country where they dont have to be bitter (California and NY come to mind). No reason they have to come here and try to destroy the culture we have valued for so long.
There's plenty of reason. I came here because I like the weather, the beach and the history. And I intend to use my political rights to try to make this place as I'd like it to be. I neither need nor seek your approval.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
There's plenty of reason. I came here because I like the weather, the beach and the history. And I intend to use my political rights to try to make this place as I'd like it to be. I neither need nor seek your approval.
Then every legislative session have fun with your

Enjoy Florida Brotha!!

Old 03-26-2016, 12:43 PM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Good to see Florida is keeping pace with other non-progressive states like Alabama, Arkansas and Kansas. It should work wonders at helping to keep Florida free of large corporations with well-paying jobs from coming here and in some cases doing business here. Way to go once again to our sleazeball Governor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: