Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 10:03 PM

38 posts, read 62,823 times

Advertisements

Hello Group,

I'm posting this for my Father who I'm assisting with this search. He knows a lot of Florida but likes the area from Key West up to about Volusia County. He already knows these areas but cannot make a concrete decision yet what to do. He has visited all over the state. All areas have some good and some bad. My Dad is a chilled guy, loves to travel (fly) out of the country, stay fit, eat right and live good. Being nearby a major Airport is a plus.

Which cities do you recommend for a semi-wealthy retired 50+ yr old single man looking for:

1) 2-3 Bedrooms
2) 2 Car Garage
3) Near / Or on the Beach
4) Quiet / Mannered / Professional Adults
5) House or Condo
6) Travels a lot

His budget is $600k -- $900k.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Madruga; 03-27-2016 at 10:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 12:25 AM

823 posts, read 1,125,956 times
Naples.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:00 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,897 times
Naples good suggestion. East coast I'd look at Jupiter, Boca, Palm City or Vero

Old 03-28-2016, 09:39 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madruga View Post
Which cities do you recommend for a semi-wealthy retired 50+ yr old single man looking for:
1) 2-3 Bedrooms
2) 2 Car Garage
3) Near / Or on the Beach
4) Quiet / Mannered / Professional Adults

5) House or Condo
6) Travels a lot
His budget is $600k -- $900k.
Um, Naples is on the WEST coast and has some of the rudest people in Florida!
  • Boynton Beach
  • Delray Beach
  • Vero Beach
  • New Smyrna Beach

Old 03-29-2016, 02:45 AM

Dad says Naples is very nice but very aging, and no ocean waves. Dad rents a house at Ft. Lauderdale's Harbor Inlet neighborhood. He likes this area but is nervous about buying because traffic/tourists from Cruises and the influx of immigrants from Haiti and other migrating up from Miami that speak little to no English. He likes the north side of Jupiter, around Tequesta. He said New Smyrna was a little dead, but liked Daytona Beach Shores, but still a good four hours north of Palm Beach/FLL airports although Orlando is a major airport. Dad does not care for Orlando. Keep the suggestions coming folks.

Dad appreciates the help.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:18 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
If he likes Jupiter and Tequesta-why not that area?

Old 03-29-2016, 10:54 PM

Dad says thanks, keep the comments coming!

Old 03-30-2016, 08:40 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
If he likes Tequesta, he'll LOVE Vero Beach. A bit larger but that village feel. Even though it's a city and the county seat.

I lived all over from FT L, Tamarac, WPB and Tequesta. And even Jacksonville. I grew up part time in Ft Lauderdale.

The crowds from down south WILL eventually migrate up to Tequesta.

However if he likes it check out the Broadview Condos. My mom lived there and I loved it. It is age restricted 55. He may not be interested in that right now. The crowd may be too old but in FL alot of 55 people bought during the crash. If he's a social guy he's better off in Jupiter or VERO.

But definitely Vero Beach, where I live now. Our slogan is "Where the Tropics Begin" because of the climate warming up when you hit Vero but we still have some jacket days.

You can advance search under my screen name on the Vero Beach sub forum for all my propaganda about how great it is here.

As a dog walker I know EVERY neighborhood and meet ALOT Of people.

We are a gentle community with alot of wealth but very quietly. The highest percentage of retired CEOs in the country. Even more than Palm Beach. Trust me some pay 23K per year just in dog walking visits not even pet sitting!

We also have alot of economic diversity, though, and housing for every price point and type of buyer.

Also citrus, cattle and horse ranches.

The money people are very generous and it's almost annoying to hear about all the charity work etc LOL.

He should rent a place temporarily and try it out. Of course I ADORE the beach barrier island, I think it's the best on the coast.

BUT it can be LOUD which is why we chose Broadview Condos on the Intracoastal in Tequesta.

We have Intracoastal living here too.

The further north-ish you go the less dense it becomes so South Vero is a typical FL low density area but further up by say, the Disney property or Sebastian it's very very LOW and quiet.

I work for someone in Sea Oaks condos for example right at Disney Hotel. In a GORGEOUS 6 unit condo building. (they don't have many). Her building is VERY VERY close to the water at high tide. Her glass enclosed/patio slider balcony is HUGE and you feel like you're outside all the time. It can get LOUD though and if I do a Live In for her I have to close the doors for some quiet sometimes.

Common popular HOAs are John's Island, Moorings and all along the ocean, actually. Also Grand Harbor further inland closer to Indian River Blvd 10 minutes from the beach. To name just ONE.

Some streets AREN'T HOA but have a name. Vero Isles on the Intracoastal NOT on the barrier island is very nice. At Miracle Mile where he can get everything you can think of for normal everyday life without a box store type of thing. No car really required. IF he bikes, you can bike over the bridge to the beach 3 miles. at 17th.

Lots of golf, too if he golfs. TONS of boating.

At the OTHER end of the spectrum we had condos going for 20K and VERY NICE ONES during the crash. They're moving up now back to 2007 prices or so.

50+ is YOUNG but 60+ I'd say consider a community that has aging in place because there is a big shortage in Independent Living that goes all the way through Assisted Living to Memory Care or Skilled Nursing.

Grand Harbor is very nice in that respect that they have an Assisted Living there that they're expanding. In the Oak Harbor section which is mostly the retired age group. Grand Harbor is expanding right now. It's BIG. But beautiful not like army barracks or anything and with a TON of different type houses.

Their price points go from average to very high.

Here's the "garden room" of one in the St Andrews section that's listed at 1.3 Million.

It's prohibited to post real estate listings here.

They also have the ones with a private courtyard outside behind a wall with a private pool and birdcage screening right ON a golf course. That may be my favorite model if you love privacy. Otherwise, you get beautiful views everywhere there. NOT crowded even though it's big by humble Vero Beach standards. About 3 miles end to end I'd say.

GOOGLE vero beach grand harbor courtyard homes ...CLICK IMAGES...to see examples.

Further inland on mainland Vero by "the mall" (the busy shopping area) there is a similar community called Pointe West. Not as much variety and various PRICE choices a bit less upscale but still nice. BIG golf, regular housing but also offers Independent Living, ALF and Memory Care. NO skilled as far as I know.

(I work for ALOT of people living in these communities with their dogs)

if he like boating there's a nice Marina in Grand Harbor, too. But even our other communities have access. Even MY HOA has a canal behind it with a lift. It's across from a NON HOA called River Shores where everyone has a canal for their boat but you can't tell from the street at all.

Just an example.

MY ideal would be to get a place in Grand Harbor ON the marina view. Kind of like Fort Lauderdale living. I think it's a good match for him, too. Go up and see what the new construction is all about.

P.S you may be able to tell I LOVE house hunting. LOL. I didn't even touch on anything except housing but there is plenty to do if you aren't looking for "Broadway Across America" but can do with good regional theater. For example.

The FIRST question will be HOA or not. I TOTALLY TOTALLY recommend HOA trust me unless your'e talking acreage, horses or barrier island or Intracoastal contiguous.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 03-30-2016 at 09:37 AM..

Old 03-30-2016, 09:22 AM

Our airport is not major but has flights to Newark now.

WPB and MCO are equidistant 1.5 hrs.

MCO is a nightmare to drive AND navigate inside with all the families etc.

We have a zillion residents who happen to be pilots and plane owners. Our airport is VERY historic go read about it.

Go eat at CJ Cannons when you visit at the airport - it's adorable.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:39 AM

http://www.city-data.com/forum/port-...each-area.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/port-...otos-area.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida