Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 03:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,425 times

Advertisements

Tentatively researching different states to find what it is we're looking for. There are just too many threads on here for me to read through them all, although I've read through quite a few over the past few hours. Easier to just make my own thread

Housing below 100k, we don't mind fixer uppers at all. Small house, nothing too fancy.
Small town-ish community feel. We want to be able to take our kids on walks outside, go to the park, find a community feel, maybe homeschool groups or something. We moved hours away from home, bought land, built a house, doing the homestead thing but the area is HORRIBLE with meth addicts and trash. We're not happy, so we're doing our research before we move again. We want our kids to be able to go outside and play and not worry about crazy crime etc... (I know there is crime everywhere).

We don't want to be in the city but close-ish to an area for jobs if need be (we both work from home but who knows what will happen in the future).

We'd love to live in a small community, one acre or so is possible, small family home (again, we're NOT fancy), super kid friendly, low-crime.

Doesn't have to be near any particular beaches. We can drive and the beach is not our main reason for being interested in FL, definitely a bonus, not a necessity.

Uh, hurricanes. Guess that's hit or miss with mother nature, but yeah, we'll figure that out. lol

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 06:36 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,972,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfamilyhouse View Post
Tentatively researching different states to find what it is we're looking for. There are just too many threads on here for me to read through them all, although I've read through quite a few over the past few hours. Easier to just make my own thread

Housing below 100k, we don't mind fixer uppers at all. Small house, nothing too fancy.
Small town-ish community feel. We want to be able to take our kids on walks outside, go to the park, find a community feel, maybe homeschool groups or something. We moved hours away from home, bought land, built a house, doing the homestead thing but the area is HORRIBLE with meth addicts and trash. We're not happy, so we're doing our research before we move again. We want our kids to be able to go outside and play and not worry about crazy crime etc... (I know there is crime everywhere).

We don't want to be in the city but close-ish to an area for jobs if need be (we both work from home but who knows what will happen in the future).

We'd love to live in a small community, one acre or so is possible, small family home (again, we're NOT fancy), super kid friendly, low-crime.

Doesn't have to be near any particular beaches. We can drive and the beach is not our main reason for being interested in FL, definitely a bonus, not a necessity.

Uh, hurricanes. Guess that's hit or miss with mother nature, but yeah, we'll figure that out. lol

Thanks!
I can tell you there is no hit or miss with hurricanes in any part of Florida. If you live here you WILL be hit at some point in time. Even inland

Old 05-16-2016, 07:57 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,055,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I can tell you there is no hit or miss with hurricanes in any part of Florida. If you live here you WILL be hit at some point in time. Even inland
That's debatable. Florida hasn't been impacted by a hurricane since 2004. Prior to that Key West in 1999 and Miami in 1992 were the only other hurricanes to make landfall or severely damage part of the state. No activity for 10+ years and limited overall for the past 25 years doesn't really spell the grave danger sometimes portrayed and shouldn't be a major stumbling block to a potential move here in my opinion.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:45 AM

201 posts, read 238,354 times
kyle, I hope you did a "knock wood" when you wrote that. lol. We've been darn lucky so far ... knock wood.
OP, I doubt you'll get a 1 acre place for your budget ... if you do it will be way out in the "boonies".

Old 05-16-2016, 09:52 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That's debatable. Florida hasn't been impacted by a hurricane since 2004. Prior to that Key West in 1999 and Miami in 1992 were the only other hurricanes to make landfall or severely damage part of the state. No activity for 10+ years and limited overall for the past 25 years doesn't really spell the grave danger sometimes portrayed and shouldn't be a major stumbling block to a potential move here in my opinion.
Actually 2005- Dennis came through the panhandle. (Fortunately it was a small storm and the worst winds largely were confined to Gulf Islnds NS)

Housing below $100K in an area you'd actually want to live is the tough criteria. This is not California, but if you want cheap, look to Alabama or similar.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:00 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,577,075 times
some of the smaller towns in North Florida, Inland Central Florida.. Look at places like Lake Butler, Macclenny, DeFuniak Springs, Madison... Closer to the beach, Jacksonville or Orlando are more expensive

Old 05-16-2016, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 3,425 times
Thanks everyone so far for your responses. I know FL is a hurricane place, I'm saying mother nature is hit or miss when/where she hits with FL and we're not concerned about hurricanes, we'll take precautions like everyone else.

The one acres isn't a make/break, just be nice.

Thanks jwolfer, I'll look into those areas. Seems good "family" areas are out towards the Tampa/surrounding areas? That seems to be what I've found reading, at least so far.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:15 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,972,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That does not mean we have not been skirted, which can sometimes be just as damaging as direct impact. Katrina was a tropical storm when it made its way across south fla peninsula and still did damage. Let me clarify you WILL be hit by some sort of tropical system at some point. The only difference between a hurricane and tropical storm is 1 mph...

Old 05-16-2016, 02:28 PM

17,287 posts, read 15,484,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
That does not mean we have not been skirted, which can sometimes be just as damaging as direct impact. Katrina was a tropical storm when it made its way across south fla peninsula and still did damage. Let me clarify you WILL be hit by some sort of tropical system at some point. The only difference between a hurricane and tropical storm is 1 mph...
And then we receive the bands from even far away storms that launch tornadoes and damaging gusts at us.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:46 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,351,138 times
Under $100k in a desirable area is just not possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida