Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 11:04 AM
JH6 JH6 started this thread

1,435 posts, read 3,218,798 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We were fortunate to buy a home near Austin Texas about five years ago.

House is worth double what we paid.

We are considering a move to the Gulf side of Florida, and getting a house on at least 1 acre.

Can you all recommend areas to start looking. Price range is under $300k.

I see a lot of options within 20 miles of Tampa FL.

We can work in any major metro, I do IT and my wife is a Licensed Social Worker.

Thanks,

JH6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 11:14 AM
JH6 JH6 started this thread

1,435 posts, read 3,218,798 times
Also I am trying to figure out what the catch is.

We pay $4000 in property tax and 650 per year for insurance on my house in Texas.

House of similar value on more land in Florida is $2000 in tax and what does insurance run?

Flood insurance is probably required?

We have a gas furnace and water heater in Texas but honestly I think we could get away with all electric house. We use the furnace maybe 1 week per year. Is gas typical in Gulf area houses?

Old 07-05-2016, 06:14 AM

110 posts, read 110,277 times
Insurance is tricky, it all depends on whether or not you are in a flood zone or not. I have found that the actual major insurance companies are a lot more expensive down here. When I purchased insurance for my condo, I used a private broker who got me a lot better rate than what I was able to come up with on my own.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:21 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Gas service is pretty localized in the sense that some neighborhoods can have it but other neighboring streets won't. Our MLS has a public side to it www.MyFloridaHomeMLS.com and you might find that helpful. You can probably find properties all along our part of the gulf coast that match but they may not be what you are looking for. You just have to do the work, either on your own or through an agent.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:29 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
In Florida, many homes use an electric "heat pump" for heat. The heat pump is combined with the AC unit. So it's basically an AC/Heat unit all in one.

The gulf coast of FL is large, running north and south along most of the state. The southern portion is warmer in the winter than the norther portion of FL. The temps in the summer are more similar, but in the coldest winter months, the lows/coldest part of the day is much more intense in the norther parts of FL. What does this mean? You run the heat more in Norther FL during the winter. And there are more hard freezes in northern FL. This impacts the the types of plants/trees in the area. Some tropical plants cannot handle freezes and such plants might be more commin in southern FL but not in northern FL.

About home insurance. Windstorm insurance can significantly add to the cost of a home insurance policy. This is insurance that covers hurricanes and any wind events. Sometimes (usually) , "windstorm" coverage is built into the regular homeowner's policy. However, if the home is located within 1500 ft of navigable water(that goes to the gulf), then often you get a home insurance policy that doesn't cover wind and it's called "Ex Wind". Then you have to by a separate wind-only insurance from Citizen's insurance(the state run carrier) because they are the only providers of wind-only policies. It's cheaper this way also, sometimes a lot cheaper.

Flood insurance is another coverage that is separate. If the home is newer than mid 1970s, usually(but not always), then it's likely that the home's elevation is above the FEMA required elevation. If this is the case then flood insurance is usually not that bad(not that expensive). It's the homes that have elevation BELOW Fema's requiredelevation(called BFE) that can have very expensive flood insurance. There are many variables that impact flood insurance cost. The higher the home's elevation above Fema's required BFE, the cheaper the flood insurance. There is also V zone which means wave velocotity. This is the high cost areas close to open water and V zone flood ins is most expensive and the homes have vry strict building designs needed. other flood zones(A, AE, etc also have building designs to handle floods such as built on piers(elevated) or build on stemwall to elevate or just raised lot with fill dirt to elevate. There is a lot to learn about flood insurance and associated building techniques as well as flood insurance policies and associated costs.

You cannot just say all homes in flood zones have high insurance. Some flood ins policies are very reasonable and some are very high. You must learn as much as you can to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: