Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 07:47 PM

22 posts, read 16,888 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
We are looking to move down to Florida from NJ$$$$ to Florida. Mainly for the weather and lower taxes. We also love the planned communities for our children and want an area with young families and tons of children. We have no kids in our development right now. Our #1 priority is the public school system, which is why we are looking at St. John's County and possibly Nocatee. However, since it is so far north, is it very cold for extended periods of time and if so, can anyone recommend any areas in southern Florida with GOOD schools and master planned communities? It is so overwhelming.... Our budget would be $250,00-275,00 4 bedrooms. I understand we may have to pay CDD fees and am willing to do it for my children. HELP! This is happening next summer no matter where we end up! I'm done with the north!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 08:54 AM

110 posts, read 110,168 times
In South Florida, you can take a look at Weston, Parkland, and Boca. All three of them have great schools. Parts of Coral Springs have really good schools as well but you should really check the feeder pattern as the elementary school may be really good but the high school may not and vice versa.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:07 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,571,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbog2654 View Post
Hello all,
We are looking to move down to Florida from NJ$$$$ to Florida. Mainly for the weather and lower taxes. We also love the planned communities for our children and want an area with young families and tons of children. We have no kids in our development right now. Our #1 priority is the public school system, which is why we are looking at St. John's County and possibly Nocatee. However, since it is so far north, is it very cold for extended periods of time and if so, can anyone recommend any areas in southern Florida with GOOD schools and master planned communities? It is so overwhelming.... Our budget would be $250,00-275,00 4 bedrooms. I understand we may have to pay CDD fees and am willing to do it for my children. HELP! This is happening next summer no matter where we end up! I'm done with the north!
Cold is a relative term. People in South Florida think Jacksonville is the Arctic sometimes

All of Florida is hot from Late April until October, really not much difference from Miami to Pensacola. Think about a NJ heat-wave in July or August lasting for months. Miami, ironically, can be cooler than Tallahassee in the summer thanks to sea breezes. The coldest winter day in NE Florida is like a November day in NJ. St. Augustine/Jacksonville will have a handful of freezes a year, usually less than 10. When it get to 29, it is BIG news. If the daytime temperature does not go above 60 people pull out the winter coats, scarves and gloves. Cold snaps dont last more than a few days. Rest assured it will be in the low 70s a couple days later. Winter here is not gloomy and gray for days on end like in NJ.

Lots of people like Nocatee, very big planned community and its growing. If you havent already, check out the Jacksonville subforum for more information. St Johns County has top rated schools in the state. Clay and Nassau County in Jax area are rated well also. Seminole County, just north of Orlando has a good ratings as well. Tampa area does not get as cold as North Florida so consider over there as well. I am not as familiar with South Florida.

What kind of work do you and your spouse do? Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa areas are probably best for jobs and not as expensive as South Florida.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:14 AM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Your housing budget is much more suited for the Jacksonville market and while it is somewhat cold for about 2-3 months it's nothing like what you're accustomed to in New Jersey. You might also consider the FishHawk Ranch community SE of Tampa as it fits your housing budget plus has excellent public schools (PK-12) and is a beautiful (and established) planned community with the amenities you're looking for in decent proximity of the second largest metro area in the state (Tampa-St Pete-Clearwater) offering plenty to do overall.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:28 AM

661 posts, read 866,916 times
4 BR in Nocatee starts in the low to mid 300K

Old 08-09-2016, 02:37 PM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Clay and Nassau County in Jax area are rated well also. Seminole County, just north of Orlando has a good ratings as well. Tampa area does not get as cold as North Florida so consider over there as well. I am not as familiar with South Florida.
I agree regarding Nassau County in general as it's the #2 rated school district in Florida behind St John's County. Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island and Yulee are largely nice towns though neither is big on "planned communities" and the few there are would be well above the OP's budget and size requirement (4 bedrooms). It's a great area to live in with it's proximity to Jacksonville (still largely undeveloped too) and with it's relative closeness to cities out of state like Savannah, Charleston and even Atlanta whereas in most of Florida it takes hours just to get to the FL/GA state line.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:24 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,571,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree regarding Nassau County in general as it's the #2 rated school district in Florida behind St John's County. Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island and Yulee are largely nice towns though neither is big on "planned communities" and the few there are would be well above the OP's budget and size requirement (4 bedrooms). It's a great area to live in with it's proximity to Jacksonville (still largely undeveloped too) and with it's relative closeness to cities out of state like Savannah, Charleston and even Atlanta whereas in most of Florida it takes hours just to get to the FL/GA state line.
13-15 hour drive to NJ, depending on where in NJ vs 17-20 hours from south Florida.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:13 AM

407 posts, read 828,636 times
If your #1 priority is good schools, defiantly do your homework! According to the FL DOE St. Johns county is one of three A rated schools in the state for this year! Which I think its bologna.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:14 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,222 times
Sarasota county (where I live) has some very well rated schools. There are also some great communities, Lakewood ranch being a popular one but I'm not overly familiar with it though I know families who live there and love it. Weather wise, it doesn't get 'cold' this far south. Sounds like what your looking for. Good luck!

Old 08-10-2016, 10:23 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
You will not be able to find a 4 bedroom for that budget in Palm Beach/Broward counties. Go SW or Central if that is your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida