Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 06:46 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,573,839 times

Advertisements

I guess being nice has to really be tried here on the Florida forum.
I sit here and shake my head at how people love to bicker and start up something. What a pitty for those people that have to do that.
It just seems that this State needs to come together.
People love to start something that they can't finish.
I dunno. I also tend to flip flop about my thoughts here too.
I am only human!!!!
May all you who stay put in Florida be happy! I was until Hurricane Charley blew apart our town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 07:19 PM

944 posts, read 3,849,075 times
Bam, it's o.k. to flip-flop. I think some people are hard on you because you oscillate between two extremes.

When my friends ask me how I like Florida, I tell them it's exactly like NYC to me; it's a love/hate relationship. It breathes life into me and strangles at the same time.

One hour I'm kayaking over a herd of manatee and the next I'm in traffic behind some freak that has ********* on the back of his truck (truckticles - yes, like a pair hangin' off the truck, like his truck is male (to remove any doubt)), right below the "You can't hide underneath that towel forever" bumper sticker.

It's hard to reconcile these thoughts. There are many places in the U.S. that never really get too crazy either way.

Florida is just one of those places that's both crazy good, and crazy bad.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:51 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,658,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
Bam, it's o.k. to flip-flop. I think some people are hard on you because you oscillate between two extremes.

When my friends ask me how I like Florida, I tell them it's exactly like NYC to me; it's a love/hate relationship. It breathes life into me and strangles at the same time.

One hour I'm kayaking over a herd of manatee and the next I'm in traffic behind some freak that has ********* on the back of his truck (truckticles - yes, like a pair hangin' off the truck, like his truck is male (to remove any doubt)), right below the "You can't hide underneath that towel forever" bumper sticker.

It's hard to reconcile these thoughts. There are many places in the U.S. that never really get too crazy either way.

Florida is just one of those places that's both crazy good, and crazy bad.

Muggy that's about as well put as any I've seen. You deserve Fla post of the day

Old 11-28-2006, 08:09 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,166,072 times
Florida can be all you want it to be. Lots of people complain about the cost of housing and mother nature force. The central and south part of the state is engorged in the tourism industry and the reality is that nothing can be done. Someone will purchase a home that we cannot afford, millions will visit the Mouse every year and will continue to buy time-shares and others will suffer because they can't afford an apartment.

Hurricanes will come and go, but someone will rebuild. Due to the tourism industry, someone will purchase and rebuild to sue the market not the community. Someone with money will make more money. What will happen if a CAT 5 hit central and south Florida? Will become a tourists only city and all the local families will have to move to the northern part of the state. So be careful what you ask for, this can be your greatest nightmare.

Now some areas in Florida are still very friendly to Floridians and tourist alike. Take St Augustine great place to live and to visit. Local folks are very friendly and they have a local economy that is controlled within rather than from the billion $$ industries.

The Northwest area of the state is also friendly and inexpensive. The main industry is linked to military and aerospace industry. This one brings very decent money to us that are employed here and provides a stable workforce that is trained and educated to properly sustain the industry.

One company is hiring about 100 aircraft mechanic, average hourly pay $25.00 plus benefits. Housing is affordable you can purchase a average home (1800 - 2000 SQ FT) for under $200K. Land is also available and you can get as little or as much as you want, is up to your budget.

Is our area a great place to live? Yes Do we have problems? Yes, just like any other city or town in America. Can the voice of the local folks be enforced? Yes, we have a voice the local government listen to the people. Do we get it our way? Sometimes, you win some and loose some is the really of life.

We are excited for what we have and we enjoy life without the fear that you find everyday in central and south Florida.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:58 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
Trust me, if the Cat 5 hits it's OVER for many years! History always repeats itself. Tourists can go anywhere, life doesn't revolve around Florida. Anyway who wants to work serving tourists? You guys upstate are a lot better making your $$$ in the aerospace fiend. I wish South Florida had more high-tech jobs and less service (slave) work. It won'thappen with today's corrupt south Florida governmentand overpriced real estate.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:02 PM

Thumbs up Florida sees drop in tourists

I mentioned tourism and just went down 2.4%, but see below for meeting on how to increase the tourism....

Visitors to Florida declined 2.4 percent, the largest drop in at least a year, during the third quarter, according to figures released Monday by the state's official tourism marketing group.

Visit Florida estimates 20.7 million people came to the state during the July-through-September period. That's 516,000 fewer visitors than the same quarter last year.

On Wednesday the state's tourism industry leaders will meet near Tampa to debate marketing strategy and how to increase Visit Florida's budget in the coming year at the group's marketing retreat.

Moderator cut: link cut

Old 11-28-2006, 09:06 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,658,127 times
[quote=sunrico90;182487]I mentioned tourism and just went down 2.4%, but see below for meeting on how to increase the tourism....

Visitors to Florida declined 2.4 percent, the largest drop in at least a year, during the third quarter, according to figures released Monday by the state's official tourism marketing group.

Visit Florida estimates 20.7 million people came to the state during the July-through-September period. That's 516,000 fewer visitors than the same quarter last year.

On Wednesday the state's tourism industry leaders will meet near Tampa to debate marketing strategy and how to increase Visit Florida's budget in the coming year at the group's marketing retreat.

Moderator cut: link cut

That will ultimately be the catalyst to a state income tax.

Moderator cut: cut

Old 11-28-2006, 09:30 PM

We need funding to alliviate the high cost of homeowners insurance and the money goes to tourism. What is the tourism money paying for?

Roads?

Public transportation?

Land development?

Health care?

Education?

I

Old 11-28-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Trust me, if the Cat 5 hits it's OVER for many years! History always repeats itself. Tourists can go anywhere, life doesn't revolve around Florida. Anyway who wants to work serving tourists? You guys upstate are a lot better making your $$$ in the aerospace fiend. I wish South Florida had more high-tech jobs and less service (slave) work. It won'thappen with today's corrupt south Florida governmentand overpriced real estate.
We are fortunate but at the same time we have one industry that every four years gets evaluated in the BRAC process. Is good at the present time, but can also be our worst enemy. We are maximizing the opportunities and benefits to the greatest extend.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:44 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
I doubt there will be a Florida state income Tax. They will do other tricks to get the tax they want without an uproar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: