Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 07:23 AM

302 posts, read 1,049,573 times

Advertisements

Well once again it amazes me just how a$$ backwards Florida really is. After two major Tornados, Hurricanes and wild fires this state still refuses to install sirens! With the loss of life in 98 and now in 2007 politicans still do not realize the importance of this warning system. Their thought is that during the summer months most people have their a/c running and all windows closed tight, therefore they wouldm't be able to hear a siren. Well guess what, A mobile home is made of tin, most homes are made of block on the first floor and wood-frame on the second where bedrooms are. Do you honestly think that you couldn't hear a siren blowing? My God, I can hear my neighbors going at it at night. Most homes/trailers here also have single-pane windows. The insulation here is not that thick either.
It gets hot in Kansas too in the summer. Do you think they run their a/c and have windows closed....yup you betcha. And they have more insulation and double pane windows. I guess this goes back to the good-ol-boys or even the schooling system we have in this state. Just a bunch of idiots coming out to run this state. I'm not sorry to blast this as it's my opinion and they should be held resonsible for the deaths and for future death counts. I've seen too many natural disasters through-out this country where local counties have given their residents/taxpayers a chance for survival. It's about time this place does something too!!
In this mornings paper they stated they wouldn't think that the public would know what to do if they heard a siren?!

I ask people here......would you know what to do if you heard a siren blasting off in the middle of the night or afternoon??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 7,109 times
i agree, this state (which claims to be progressive- and really is not) lags far behind others in Civil Defense, and other safety issues..I have no proof, but it wouldn't surprise me .if the builders were "getting away with" less structural safety standards..due to the "good ol' boys" system, and they way they "throw them up -so rapidly"....just a thought to tell new home builders- to really question/watch the building process!!!.Dj

Old 02-04-2007, 07:53 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuse View Post
Well once again it amazes me just how a$$ backwards Florida really is. After two major Tornados, Hurricanes and wild fires this state still refuses to install sirens! With the loss of life in 98 and now in 2007 politicans still do not realize the importance of this warning system. Their thought is that during the summer months most people have their a/c running and all windows closed tight, therefore they wouldm't be able to hear a siren. Well guess what, A mobile home is made of tin, most homes are made of block on the first floor and wood-frame on the second where bedrooms are. Do you honestly think that you couldn't hear a siren blowing? My God, I can hear my neighbors going at it at night. Most homes/trailers here also have single-pane windows. The insulation here is not that thick either.
It gets hot in Kansas too in the summer. Do you think they run their a/c and have windows closed....yup you betcha. And they have more insulation and double pane windows. I guess this goes back to the good-ol-boys or even the schooling system we have in this state. Just a bunch of idiots coming out to run this state. I'm not sorry to blast this as it's my opinion and they should be held resonsible for the deaths and for future death counts. I've seen too many natural disasters through-out this country where local counties have given their residents/taxpayers a chance for survival. It's about time this place does something too!!
In this mornings paper they stated they wouldn't think that the public would know what to do if they heard a siren?!

I ask people here......would you know what to do if you heard a siren blasting off in the middle of the night or afternoon??

One problem is there is nowhere to go. There are no cellars or anyplace to hide. Either way a good investment is a weather radio.

http://www.floridadisaster.org/bpr/EMTOOLS/Warning/nwsradio.htm (broken link)

After my experience with past hurricanes I don't count on anybody but myself to stay safe. Don't wait for the government to help you, all they are interested in is being sure they don't take the blame for anything and passing the buck. Do what you can to protect yourself. If you live in a mobile home or even a common house you can build a safe room of poured concrete and steel.

It can be a room of you house, or can even be built as a 10 x 10 storage shed in the back yard where you can go if you have to. Point being, if you want to be safe you have to do as much as you can yourself before you begin looking for someone to blame. Whose fault it was doesn't much matter after the fact, although there usually is something to be learned.

It was interesting what one of the officials said the other day in a news conference after the tornado. Someone mentioned FEMA's help. He said people better figure out what they were going to do on their own and not count on FEMA. He said they still were waiting for payment from FEMA from 2004. You need to take responsibility for yourself and keeping your family safe in the event of a disaster. I guess I am getting bitter in my old age, but it unfortunately comes from experience. In New Orleans in some cases even the cops ran away and some took to looting.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:59 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
I'm so glad you started a thread on this. We had just touched on this subject a bit under the thread discussing the awful tornadoes. I asked my husband how it works and this is how it works here~The city council orders new sirens and the county commissioners maintain and check the sirens. The Civil Defense pays a huge percentage of the original cost. So, you may want to visit both the county commissioners meetings and the city council meetings and let them know sirens are needed. (They should've already known that) It'd be better if a few people from the community could get together to show support in numbers.

I was shocked to hear about the lack of sirens when I was watching this on the weather channel. So I asked on the other thread and it was confirmed that Fla. doesn't have sirens. That is just shocking.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:00 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
One problem is there is nowhere to go. There are no cellars or anyplace to hide. Either way a good investment is a weather radio.

http://www.floridadisaster.org/bpr/EMTOOLS/Warning/nwsradio.htm (broken link)

After my experience with past hurricanes I don't count on anybody but myself to stay safe. Don't wait for the government to help you, all they are interested in is being sure they don't take the blame for anything and passing the buck. Do what you can to protect yourself. If you live in a mobile home or even a common house you can build a safe room of poured concrete and steel.

Macguy I agree with you.
This might sound crazy but I could swear that I heard sirens Thursday evening (along with lots of thunder.) I had heard that a waterspout was found by radar off the Cape here.
Anyway, I would like to learn more about building a saferoom. How do you go about doing this?

Old 02-04-2007, 08:08 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,169 times
Friday morning there was a tornado warning for southeast Polk County. It was stated on tv that a tornado was spotted. We did have a siren. Not all of Florida is without sirens.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:19 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
Friday morning there was a tornado warning for southeast Polk County. It was stated on tv that a tornado was spotted. We did have a siren. Not all of Florida is without sirens.
Grammy, that's good to know it isn't a statewide problem. I didn't actually catch the area they were referring to, but it was some place in the area that was hit by the awful storm.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:24 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
When I was growing up in Tampa, we had sirens - they used to go off periodically to make sure they worked. Somewhere along the way they got rid of them. Stupid, eh?

Old 02-04-2007, 09:35 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Default Storm Shelter

I had mentioned on another thread that when you build or even after you build, put in a storm shelter. Somebody else come back with "Can't, water table is too high".

Here's just an example how to fix that problem. These shelters are water proof. I did a google search for "Storm Shelter". This is only the first hit. There are several. Can get steel, or fiberglass. But check it out. Would be well worth buring this in your back yard.

http://www.shelters-of-texas.com/refuge.html

Old 02-04-2007, 09:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Thanks Jgussler!
This would really make me feel safer. Might be a bit rough trying to get our 135 dog in there, but I'd sure try!
In Denver, we always ran down to the basement, or if I was at work, we hustled the students into the bathroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: