Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 01:13 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
what could become the biggest mistake of your life with you and your whole family crying.

With all due respect isn't this overly dramatic?

Roads go in and out of every town.
If it doesn't work out - you move.
Life's all about the experiences and trying new things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 01:21 PM

27 posts, read 28,983 times
Being born and raised not to far from where you are thinking heres the facts. (1) You will have the opportunity to pick apples, pumpkins, ski, sled, swim, hike, etc (Boston 2+hrs away, NYC 4 1/2 hrs, Providence 2 hrs, )Cape Cod 1+), a lot of historical areas, shopping same as anywhere (with cute store called christmas tree store) big malls not really-box stores mom and pop, churchs of all faiths. Now summer is awful the traffic getting to the cape, its very tourisy-expensive but beautiful, you would not want to live in Marion County (armpit)I assume your husband is in the insurance industry, state tax(s) that includes your car, clothing, food, etc...this is an area with not a lot of industry historically fishing....All seasons are beautiful...fall beautiful leaves cool nights, warm days (60s) winter cool (-5 to 40's) ice, snow but not every week-depends (northeasterns-come off the coast) spring cool (40-60's with warmer days in between) summers (anywhere from 60-100's) many homes have no a/c. There's green grass, no palms-some pines, no sand except at the beach. No alligators, snakes yes..but then animals, insects, reptiles are everywhere...Schools do your homework its spotty...Would a move be good only your family can decide that..our family has moved multiple times across the country and now we are moving from washington state to tampa area.its been rough at times but we have only grown closer as a family and had experiences that others only wish they could have had. Just remember you would only be a plane ride away.. Good Luck and if I can help more let me know..

Old 08-04-2017, 02:55 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
With all due respect isn't this overly dramatic?

Roads go in and out of every town.
If it doesn't work out - you move.
Life's all about the experiences and trying new things.
No, I don't believe it is. After being on this forum for 10 years, I have seen it over and over - people ranting and crying over a move they made in haste, or without enough research. Moving is expensive, and one wants to at least feel they have made a choice based on solid research.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:33 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
We're from Massachusetts, moved to Florida for five years and then back to Massachusetts. Now we snowbird in Florida for four months. The winters vary from freezing cold to bearable cold and from occasional snow to crippling snow and ice. What I dislike most is Spring. Winter temps can carryover into April and then there's the gusty rains, sometimes lasting for days. It doesn't really get into flip-flop season until after Memorial Day. Fall is spectacular though.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:00 PM

72 posts, read 69,627 times
I found this thread as my family and I are life-long MA residents considering moving to FL for work.

Massachusetts is beautiful. I live on the coast. I love its proximity to other states. Want mountains? Or beach? You got it all within a reasonable drive. There's a lot to do.

People love to rave about the schools but like anywhere else, the really good public schools are in high COL towns.

Housing is expensive. So much of it's old. Taxes just don't stop increasing.

The roads are crap - potholes galore.

The weather, ugh. It's a BIG driving force for us to look elsewhere. It gets old, fast. It starts getting cold in October and breaks late April (even then it's chilly). Snow is exciting the first time in the season. After that it's nothing but a headache. The weather this summer has been disappointing. Cloudy, upper 70's in August.

Do yourself a favor and visit for as long as you can before you make a move.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:40 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
YES. Schools are far superior, quality of living is above, opportunities for you and the kids. Buy warm clothing and you'll be ok. We moved out of Fla a month ago and it was the best decision we've made for our kid. We'll never return to that state. 34 years was long enough. Any opportunity you have to move out of Fla imo take it. Given the opportunity we would move back to New England to either Mass, Southern Maine, or Coastal NH

Old 08-26-2017, 06:08 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
No, I don't believe it is. After being on this forum for 10 years, I have seen it over and over - people ranting and crying over a move they made in haste, or without enough research. Moving is expensive, and one wants to at least feel they have made a choice based on solid research.
I agree with this.

When we get the poster that wants to move to Florida sight unseen don't we all say visit first?

Granted, the OP is transferring for work so that is a plus, but still...

Old 08-26-2017, 07:46 AM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
If the OP can live with cold and 6 months of clouds then give it a try sly.

Last edited by LKJ1988; 08-26-2017 at 08:48 AM..

Old 08-26-2017, 08:27 AM

686 posts, read 622,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
YES. Schools are far superior, quality of living is above, opportunities for you and the kids. Buy warm clothing and you'll be ok. We moved out of Fla a month ago and it was the best decision we've made for our kid. We'll never return to that state. 34 years was long enough. Any opportunity you have to move out of Fla imo take it. Given the opportunity we would move back to New England to either Mass, Southern Maine, or Coastal NH
Glad to hear. I have similar aspirations for (hopefully) next year. Putting FL in my rear view mirror will be a cause for joyous celebration.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:37 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Have you noticed the main reason people move to Florida? its because they hate the cold. Being lifelong Floridians i'd bet you wont be liking the cold either.
As you say you are comfortable in your present situation why move? just tell hubby to tell his bosses thanks but no thanks.
As for being a fun change? the novelty wears off quick=
http://www.aljazeera.com/mritems/ima...5124189_18.jpg
I grew up in Florida and you would have to cut off all my limbs before I would move back. I grew sooo tired of the same hot humid weather for months on end. No thanks, I'll take having 4 distinct seasons over that tropical crap.

You'd be surprised how many native Floridians get tired of the same hot weather and long for seasons. Btw I can't speak for Mass. but here in Minn. people actually look forward to winter so they can go ice fishing, play hockey or go snow mobiling. Can't do that in Florida lol you can't even make an autumn leaf pile! And no palm fronds do not count!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida