Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 07:54 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinette118 View Post
Syracuse is in New York state, which means access to NYC events.

Antoinette, do you realize that Syracuse is about 5-6 hours north of NYC. The differences between NYC & Syracuse are night & day. You better realize what you're getting into....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 07:58 AM

789 posts, read 785,095 times
Antoinette118 Funny tread !! Considering Syracuse to nyc is 250 miles+ its not like you have quick and easy access to NYC . Y I have an aunt that live in the garbage Syracuse , She hates it , The kids moved away too . You asked were else . How about any other city with in 250 miles radius . Your the one looking to move so pull up map google and make notes on possible citys to run search's on .

Florida also has some real nice and safe areas too but it is what You make of it by where you pick to live !! Like Kissimmee has some of the worse crime in florida . Nothing new there . Want a big city live style you give up safety as one of those plus's .

Last edited by Yac; 11-12-2020 at 02:38 AM..

Old 08-24-2017, 08:02 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Very well stated, Hardluk..

Old 08-24-2017, 08:26 AM

128 posts, read 149,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinette118 View Post
Don't be fooled. Florida is not the utopia they make it out to be. Wages are low, summers are horribly hot and humid. Large insects, snakes, bear, wild boar, lizards, raccoons etc. red ants that bite. Alligators in every lake. Hurricanes and sink holes. Culturally bankrupt. I am used to a faster pace. I grew up playing in the snow. Miss the vibrancy of the Northeastern states. Yes, there is crime everywhere. I guess you just have to pick your poison when it comes to living accommodations.
I know nothing about Syracuse but I wanted to offer some support.
Don't let the negative remarks discourage you. If this is something you really
want and can afford to do...then why not?
I live in GA and work with dozens of people from Minnesota that are terribly homesick.
Quite a few still commute to GA for work keeping only a shared apartment here and spending
days off back in MN. Of course that is a unique situation but they love the snow and
miss their close knit community, friends & family.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by caragitana; 08-24-2017 at 08:39 AM..

Old 08-24-2017, 10:23 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caragitana View Post
I know nothing about Syracuse but I wanted to offer some support.
Don't let the negative remarks discourage you. If this is something you really
want and can afford to do...then why not?
I live in GA and work with dozens of people from Minnesota that are terribly homesick.
Quite a few still commute to GA for work keeping only a shared apartment here and spending
days off back in MN. Of course that is a unique situation but they love the snow and
miss their close knit community, friends & family.

Best of luck to you.
This is becoming rarer as the kids graduate from college and move to where they can get a job and the parents get tired of the Winter weather and move to Fl or CA (if they can afford it). Family life is now over the internet. Close knit communities are becoming a thing of the past and friends move for the same reasons.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:04 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Antoinette, do you realize that Syracuse is about 5-6 hours north of NYC. The differences between NYC & Syracuse are night & day. You better realize what you're getting into....
It is 3 and a half/4 hours from NYC. Not 5 or 6 hours away.

Also, Neighborhood Scout is probably one of the most suspect sources to use given some of their crime rankings.

Again, this thread likely needs to be moved or reposted in the right area.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:24 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
On the flip side: Upstate New York and Other Regions Increasing Their Share of Millennial Jobs - Emsi

Is Rochester cooler than Buffalo for 20-somethings?

Report: Millennials are moving to Buffalo, living the 'new American Dream' | syracuse.com

The Rebirth of Downtowns: Spurring New Growth Upstate | Community Preservation Corporation - Community Preservation Corporation

People may not realize that Upstate NY has an overall cost of living that is around, if not below the national average, depending on the area.

Then, you have this: http://www.nahb.org/en/research/hous...ity-index.aspx (click on the 4th section for the complete list for the affordability housing index)

So, it may not be as crazy as people think it is.
Let's see what the 2020 census shows. Until then the last several decades have shown population bleed from upstate. Only NYC has growth in N.Y.,, but that wasn't enough for Florida to overtake New York in overall population a few years ago

Old 08-24-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
It is 3 and a half/4 hours from NYC. Not 5 or 6 hours away.

Also, Neighborhood Scout is probably one of the most suspect sources to use given some of their crime rankings.

Again, this thread likely needs to be moved or reposted in the right area.
4 hours or less if everything works out well with no traffic or accidents and you speed

Old 08-24-2017, 06:30 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Let's see what the 2020 census shows. Until then the last several decades have shown population bleed from upstate. Only NYC has growth in N.Y.,, but that wasn't enough for Florida to overtake New York in overall population a few years ago
Not true, as parts of Upstate NY held steady or actually showed small gains in the first decade of the 21st century. So, it will be interesting to see what happens in 2020, as it is a somewhat mixed bag. For instance the Rochester metro has never had a population decline in an official census and the Albany area has also shown steady growth, which includes the second fastest growing County in the state between 2000-2014 in Saratoga County.

While NY gets immigrants, FL gets immigrants and retirees. So, there are some different dynamics to consider as well.

In terms of NYC, it will depend on which way you go as well, as taking I-81 south to either Route 17 or into PA, then catching I-380 to I-80 east is faster than going I-90 east and I-87 south.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Not true, as parts of Upstate NY held steady or actually showed small gains in the first decade of the 21st century.
Gains? Proof?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida