Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did Hurricane Irma make you want to relocate?
Yes, I'm high tailing it out of here 14 15.05%
Nope, we're staying put 65 69.89%
Not sure yet, but I am seriously considering moving 14 15.05%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 08:05 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,317,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Okay, here's some...Atlanta, Nashville, Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Richmond, Asheville, Greenville SC, Columbia SC, Chattanooga, Louisville, Kansas City, Dallas-Ft Worth, Denver and Colorado Springs come to mind if one were to poll a cross section of Americans who didn't get off on heat/humidity 9 months of the year and weren't looking to break out in a cold sweat every time a Category 2 or higher hurricane came barreling across the Caribbean toward your home and livelihood. Of course those already attracted to this type of environment are going to defend it, so get a grip on being so strident about your choice as if it's the only valid answer, since in the big picture it's very much not.
KC and Dallas get ridiculous heat waves in the summer, hail storms,, significant tornado activity, ice storms and snow.

I'll take fl and the occasional bad hurricane, personally over that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 08:15 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Okay, here's some...Atlanta, Nashville, Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Richmond, Asheville, Greenville SC, Columbia SC, Chattanooga, Louisville, Kansas City, Dallas-Ft Worth, Denver and Colorado Springs come to mind if one were to poll a cross section of Americans who didn't get off on heat/humidity 9 months of the year and weren't looking to break out in a cold sweat every time a Category 2 or higher hurricane came barreling across the Caribbean toward your home and livelihood. Of course those already attracted to this type of environment are going to defend it, so get a grip on being so strident about your choice as if it's the only valid answer, since in the big picture it's very much not.
I don't need to "get a grip" on anything. I love where I live and don't need to defend it. I am just wondering why you never moved out of Florida, since you visited so many other states and crossed them off your list, including some of those places you named, yet you are still here....

Old 09-24-2017, 09:16 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I don't need to "get a grip" on anything. I love where I live and don't need to defend it. I am just wondering why you never moved out of Florida, since you visited so many other states and crossed them off your list, including some of those places you named, yet you are still here....
I've moved something like 8-10 times in my life and I've noticed every city has people that only complain and talk about how much better life would be elsewhere. They never move though, they always have an excuse and as someone who has moved so many times, it just sounds like whiney bullship. Moving is never easy, so they use family or their job as excuses when in realility you can make it happen if you really wanted to... some people just like to be miserable.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:39 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Naturally the cheerleaders show up right away...*eyeroll* As far as why some are stuck while it may seem overly simplistic to up and move, a combination of factors ranging from financial to family obligations prevent many including myself. If you don't like listening about the negatives, too bad. There are many of us who cringe and have to listen to the rainbows and unicorn crowd who call this state perfection above all else. Like all situations there are two sides to the story, and often both have legitimate points if one puts aside personal agendas which is why it very much belongs in this forum to discuss...like it or not.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:45 AM

20,862 posts, read 9,521,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownKnight View Post
70% of those are still in cold weather climates. Comparing crime/homicides between Chicago and STL doesn't exactly make a great case for Chicago anyway. We all know the issues with St. Louis and even worse East St. Louis (consistently one of the most dangerous cities in the country).
New Orleans and Memphis are southern cities, and ahead of Chicago.

There are more large cities in the north than there are in the south, so any statistic of large US cities is going to have more northern cities than southern ones.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:28 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,317,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
New Orleans and Memphis are southern cities, and ahead of Chicago.

There are more large cities in the north than there are in the south, so any statistic of large US cities is going to have more northern cities than southern ones.
Houston? Dallas? San Antonio? All top 10 most populated.

3/3 of the top 3 most populated are not in the northeast or Midwest where most of the dangerous cities are located. And many of those cities are experiencing population stagnation and or outright exodus....Detroit is a great example

Old 09-24-2017, 12:30 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Naturally the cheerleaders show up right away...*eyeroll* As far as why some are stuck while it may seem overly simplistic to up and move, a combination of factors ranging from financial to family obligations prevent many including myself. If you don't like listening about the negatives, too bad. There are many of us who cringe and have to listen to the rainbows and unicorn crowd who call this state perfection above all else. Like all situations there are two sides to the story, and often both have legitimate points if one puts aside personal agendas which is why it very much belongs in this forum to discuss...like it or not.
If YOU don't like hearing the POSITIVES, then "too bad." You and a few others like to throw the word "cheerleader" at those of us who are happy and appreciate where we are. I am glad that I am one - I am sorry that you are not, but I can't fix that, only you can. I know you have had chances to move, but you chose not to; I just dont buy it that you "can't move." Where there is a will there is a way. People do it all the time.

And none of us who are happy here have called this state "perfection" you just like to put words in our mouths. Most of us who are happy will readily admit to things that could be better; but at the end of the day Florida fulfills most of what makes us happy, over anywhere else. I am just the type of person who does not dwell on negatives, in life one takes the good with the bad. Good luck to you, I truly hope you get to move to whatever place you have in your mind that will satisfy what you are looking for.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:58 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Quote:
If YOU don't like hearing the POSITIVES, then "too bad." You and a few others like to throw the word "cheerleader" at those of us who are happy and appreciate where we are. I am glad that I am one - I am sorry that you are not, but I can't fix that, only you can. I know you have had chances to move, but you chose not to; I just dont buy it that you "can't move." Where there is a will there is a way. People do it all the time.

And none of us who are happy here have called this state "perfection" you just like to put words in our mouths. Most of us who are happy will readily admit to things that could be better; but at the end of the day Florida fulfills most of what makes us happy, over anywhere else. I am just the type of person who does not dwell on negatives, in life one takes the good with the bad. Good luck to you, I truly hope you get to move to whatever place you have in your mind that will satisfy what you are looking for.
Exactly, I've also lived in cities that kyle fantasies about in bed such as San Francisco. What I find funny is some of his hig complaints are so much worse in the cities he fantasies about such as traffic, unaffordable rent/housing etc. He fails to realize people working professional jobs end up having 1-4 other room mates in a small apartment to be able to afford housing. In Orlando, he talks about how most people cant afford to buy, yet when I show him how cheap condos are in Orlando, he writes it off as who wants to live in a condo! Yet in the cities he pleasures himself at night to people would give their arm and leg for a condo, even a studio condo. It's just not healthy to live in a place that causes you to complain all day every day. It would be good for him to get a dose of realility though.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:02 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
Quote:

Many on here do repeatedly say that FL is paradise. Maybe not you, but that's the cheerleading that kyle is talking about. People try to talk about Florida objectively on here and get slammed.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:47 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,752 times
It Is still just possible that some of us genuinely love Florida.

My dad was stationed here back when I was 11. OMG I loved the weather. From the humidity to the warmth. I am so suited for this state. I never in a million years ever thought I would actually call this my permanent home.

Then my Mother-in-law's husband passed away. She had been living down here for 20 years and absolutely was acclimated. Instead of her moving North, and she would have been way too cold, we moved here to be near her. I jumped on the chance to move here when hubby asked if I would be willing. Oh hell yeah!

We rented for 4 years. That gave us plenty of time to decide if this was going to be permanent. We had our house built and have been in it for 10 months now.

I do believe that it is NOT for everyone. I only take umbrage when certain posters slam an area and keep coming back to the section to tell us we are all <insert any derogatory term>.

I do not mind when people voice their opinion as long as they don't call us names or lump us into a certain category of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida