Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,457 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am from Northern NJ close to NYC (about 15 min no traffic). My family and I are planning to move to Florida and have NO IDEA what area would be good for us. I have looked into Jacksonville and Tampa but I am open to any other suggestions. Here are some of the things we are looking for:

Family oriented/ good schools (I have a 4 year old so schools are important)

Close to shopping/grocery stores (nothing rural)

Close to hospital or major cities (I am a nurse and my father will be living with us, he works as a salesperson) I would not like to commute more than 30 mins to work.

Safety is a big concern however I do understand that neighboring a city sometimes has bad parts to it.

I love the town that I live in now its very urban and there are shops in my town that I do not need to drive to get to and I am just outside NYC.

We are moving mainly because of health issues with my parents.

I dont want to be in the middle of nowhere as I am in my 30's and so is my husband. We would like to have a kid friendly neighborhood. Close to restaurants and shops would be nice.

We also would like to be close to a beach, but not too close (dont want to get flooded). Maybe like 30min to an hour from a beach.

Please let me know what would be the best place for my family and I. I still have to take a trip to Tampa or Jacksonville but I want to know in advance what areas of florida are worth my time to look into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 06:03 PM

240 posts, read 286,846 times
What are the health issues? Florida heat and humidity is not good for everything.

You pretty much have to drive to places in Florida. Public transportation is nowhere near what you have in New Jersey/New York.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:55 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
It's always best to determine where someone will be working before deciding where to move.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:33 AM

30 posts, read 31,720 times
What you're looking for doesn't really exist in FL, not really.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:08 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimromero03 View Post
Hello everyone! I am from Northern NJ close to NYC (about 15 min no traffic). My family and I are planning to move to Florida and have NO IDEA what area would be good for us. I have looked into Jacksonville and Tampa but I am open to any other suggestions. Here are some of the things we are looking for:

Family oriented/ good schools (I have a 4 year old so schools are important)

Close to shopping/grocery stores (nothing rural)

Close to hospital or major cities (I am a nurse and my father will be living with us, he works as a salesperson) I would not like to commute more than 30 mins to work.

Safety is a big concern however I do understand that neighboring a city sometimes has bad parts to it.

I love the town that I live in now its very urban and there are shops in my town that I do not need to drive to get to and I am just outside NYC.

We are moving mainly because of health issues with my parents.

I dont want to be in the middle of nowhere as I am in my 30's and so is my husband. We would like to have a kid friendly neighborhood. Close to restaurants and shops would be nice.

We also would like to be close to a beach, but not too close (dont want to get flooded). Maybe like 30min to an hour from a beach.

Please let me know what would be the best place for my family and I. I still have to take a trip to Tampa or Jacksonville but I want to know in advance what areas of florida are worth my time to look into.
The major hospitals in FL are always on the hunt for RNs, so finding a job certainly won't be an issue. FL's weather is well known for being favorable to those with arthritis and joint pain as well as some respiratory issues. Despite some who say otherwise FL does have some very good school districts too. There are also many areas where one can walk to shops/restaurants although not urban in the way NY/NJ communities tend in terms of concentration of businesses. A great place to check out in my opinion would be Nocatee, a planned community south of Jacksonville that is in the top-rated school district in FL (St John's County), and which has a "town center" walking distance to homes that has a grocery store/pharmacy (Publix) plus a bank, shops, restaurants and a Starbucks. https://www.nocatee.com/town-center Nocatee is 30 minutes or less from the south side commerce centers in Jacksonville for your father and husband's potential jobs, and employers for you like the Mayo Clinic, Baptist Medical Center - Beaches or Baptist Medical Center- South.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/patient-v...-guide/florida
https://www.baptistjax.com/locations...l-center-south
https://www.baptistjax.com/locations...center-beaches

Old 06-06-2018, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterK View Post
What are the health issues? Florida heat and humidity is not good for everything.

You pretty much have to drive to places in Florida. Public transportation is nowhere near what you have in New Jersey/New York.
My mom has horrible back pain and arthritis so the winters are brutal for her, she is getting surgery done soon and then we are planning to move shortly after.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:25 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimromero03 View Post
My mom has horrible back pain and arthritis so the winters are brutal for her, she is getting surgery done soon and then we are planning to move shortly after.
Jacksonville would be best. Nocatee is a nice planned community and there are others in the same area south of Jacksonville.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:49 AM

266 posts, read 262,027 times
We just moved from Jacksonville to Orlando after having lived there for more than 10 years.

I wrote my take on Jax here: Jacksonville or Fort Myers?

St. John's county (the area S and SW of Jax) is said to have the best schools in Florida, and Jax has endless almost empty beaches. Also, we liked the weather in Jax a lot.

But apart from that, there was no entertainment for us in Jax and we stopped going out years ago (it was more frustrating than anything). If you are into American rock music, there are concerts in Jax and in St. Augustine, as far as I know. But should you be into anything Latin, you will NOT find it in Jax.

There are a few bars and restaurants at Jax and Neptune beach but the bars are not very nice. Downtown is completely dead on weekends (that is what I read in the Jax newspaper a while ago).

Shopping: Yes, Jax has the usual chain stores and now finally also has Aldi's (discounter), Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Last year it finally got an Ikea store but I was told that the one in Jax is rather small (I never went) and by far not as nice and big as the one here in Orlando.

My experience is that whenever a new store starts moving into FL, it will NOT open in Jacksonville but in Miami and/or Orlando, and maybe years later in Jax.

Jax is more like south Georgia than like Florida. It dos not have that metropolitan feel that Orlando or Miami have, it is rather provincial.

I do not know Tampa.

We live in Orlando now and now have everything we love! There is lots of entertainment for all kinds of tastes here! The beach is only one hour away.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:33 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanoricua View Post
W

We live in Orlando now and now have everything we love! There is lots of entertainment for all kinds of tastes here! The beach is only one hour away.
1 hour if no traffic and it isn't snow bird season. I know as I live in NSB

Old 08-15-2018, 05:04 PM

266 posts, read 262,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
1 hour if no traffic and it isn't snow bird season. I know as I live in NSB
I drove that way only once so far. It was on a Saturday and 192 was completely empty.

What does NSB mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida