Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 08:49 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,550,882 times

Advertisements

Given how popular Florida is as a place to move, due to the warmth, lifestyle, etc. it seems inevitable its population eventually reaches at least 30 million by the midway mark of the century. This website here projects its population to reach 31 million by 2050, but given that its population is already over 21 million, and it projects only an additional 100K or so 7 years from now, it seems to me that projection is already too conservative, and maybe even 40 million may be in sight by midcentury.

For reference, California's population is about 39 million ... which brings me to my main point: Do people really think Florida can avoid the crowding, traffic, high expenses, etc. seen in California these days when it has about the same population California does now (or, at least reasonably close to it)? Or is there some magic formula special to Florida that will enable it to avoid being "Californicated?"

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 08:22 AM

91 posts, read 167,647 times
I think the magic formula is to continue to be a no-state-income-tax state and to somehow remain in the "Swing State" status (Purple). Make the politicians work for your vote!

Last edited by Florida Paul; 08-21-2018 at 09:23 AM..

Old 08-21-2018, 09:18 AM

9,371 posts, read 14,322,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post

Florida with 30 million people? 40 million? What will it be like?

Do people really think Florida can avoid the crowding, traffic, high expenses, etc. seen in California these days when it has about the same population California does now (or, at least reasonably close to it)? Or is there some magic formula special to Florida that will enable it to avoid being "Californicated?"

Thoughts?
First and foremost, as mentioned, remain a no-state-income-tax state.

Faster growth in the number of tall buildings, slower growth in the number of single family homes. But either way, insurance costs will be, well, sky high.

By definition, you can't avoid crowding.

Our best bet to avoid traffic nightmares is a new technologies framework, not more of the, by now, century-old infrastructure framework.

Generally speaking, as humans have been doing since the onset of the industrial revolution, we must continue to find innovative ways to shield ourselves from each others' crappy personalities through free markets and technology.

Just a thought ... innovative ways to live under water and/or design and build canal cities a la Venice (Italy), but obviously based on new technologies.

Good Luck!

Old 08-21-2018, 09:22 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

Just a thought ... innovative ways to live under water and/or design and build canal cities a la Venice (Italy), but obviously based on new technologies.

Good Luck!
Way ahead of you buddy:

Old 08-21-2018, 09:42 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,550,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Paul View Post
I think the magic formula is to continue to be a no-state-income-tax state ...
That would have the effect of making the state even more popular, and hastening the day when its population reaches 30 million, and then 40 million. Is that what Floridians want to achieve?

Old 08-21-2018, 11:27 AM

91 posts, read 167,647 times
I can tell you Floridians don't want to pay more taxes just to keep people from moving to the state. Taxing people to death for every little thing would be very California-y.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:57 PM

1,017 posts, read 788,197 times
Florida could go the jersey route and tax people to death and charge to go to the beaches and have silly laws.

Florida is such a transparent state people stay for a few years and end up moving home or somewhere else.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:15 PM

988 posts, read 683,415 times
The environment in Florida is showing signs of stress. Red tide problems are related to an influx of nutrients. Too many people, too much agriculture. I was born in Tampa. I left the hospital for Madeira Beach, where my mother and father lived. My father says there was one bar at John's Pass at that time, and few other businesses. I remember fishing from the Treasure Island Beach as a kid. We bought bait at a bait store on the beach. Just a guy selling live shrimp to locals and coconut heads to tourists beach-side, where the real estate is very pricey now. Lots of bungalows. Few hotels. Florida will survive, but in a very different form. What's happening to the water is sad. Last summer it was Indian River Lagoon, IIRC. Now Sarasota south. That is largely non-point source organic pollution driving the blooms, and difficult to control. The situation isn't hopeless, but will require real effort to turn around. Were I to move back, I'd look east panhandle-ish. I don't mind the number of people in Tampa-St. Pete, but future water quality in the bay and near-shore gulf concerns me. People will continue to move, no matter how bad the water gets! Look at Baltimore's inner harbor, no disrespect intended. If people tolerate that, they'll tolerate degraded bays in Florida too.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:43 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
I moved out of the state some time ago due to an inability to deal with heat and humidity but thats just my physical limitations, on frequent visits to see friends and family the traffic/crowding/urban sprawl gets old,not really a place i enjoy going anymore,i can only imagine what it would be like with double the population.

Old 08-21-2018, 04:13 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,843,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Given how popular Florida is as a place to move, due to the warmth, lifestyle, etc. it seems inevitable its population eventually reaches at least 30 million by the midway mark of the century. This website here projects its population to reach 31 million by 2050, but given that its population is already over 21 million, and it projects only an additional 100K or so 7 years from now, it seems to me that projection is already too conservative, and maybe even 40 million may be in sight by midcentury.

For reference, California's population is about 39 million ... which brings me to my main point: Do people really think Florida can avoid the crowding, traffic, high expenses, etc. seen in California these days when it has about the same population California does now (or, at least reasonably close to it)? Or is there some magic formula special to Florida that will enable it to avoid being "Californicated?"

Thoughts?

Florida already has over 100 million annual visitors and 21 million current residents. A large portion of this visitor/resident population is located near the 1350 miles of Florida coastlines. With 64,000 sq. miles, Florida's average population density of 378 people per sq. mi. (If you add in 100M annual visitors, the population density increases by almost 5 times to est. 1890 people per sq. mile).

In contrast, California has over 250 million annual visitors and 39 million residents - with about 830 miles of coastline and 163,000 sq. miles and an average population density of 251 people per sq. mi. (Add 250 million annual visitors and the population density increases more than 6-times or an estimated 1500 people per sq. mile).

In some respects, Florida's population already exceeds California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida