Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 777 times

Advertisements

We keep talking about moving to FL and we will be having the opportunity to make some changes in the next year or two so we would like to ask some opinions of locals for areas. We want to make the move somewhere near the Alabama state line but would like to stay inland about an hour or so but no more than an hour and a half. Population about 30-50k but not too busy that it takes you an hour to drive anywhere in town. Good place to raise a family, we have a son in preschool and plan on having another little one later so transferring schools will not be bothersome but want to make sure it's a good education system. We will both be finding new occupations and if we can't find any in the field we are in now, we will need some good options. Our gross income is roughly 80k and would like to stay around there, given of course the change in prices on items. We will most likely rent for awhile while we visit different places before we buy a home. Looking for affordable homes in regards to size and price compared to some other places. When we visit, we plan on also asking the law enforcement on their opinions as well as some realtors. We want to make a smart move. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 04:26 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Your criteria in my opinion points toward the city of Crestview. It's very family-friendly and has some of the best schools in the state. Crestview, FL - Community Video Tour

Old 12-09-2018, 04:39 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
The panhandle was hit hard by hurricane Michael. If you are in construction you might find jobs. Not having jobs or a place to live in an area hit by a hurricane doesn't sound like a good idea.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:55 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Sigh. Panhandle's a bigger place than most folks attempt to realize.

Parts of the panhandle were hit hard, generally Panama City to Tallahassee. West of Panama City was essentially undamaged by Michael.

The Okaloosa County (Ft. Walton Beach-Destin-Crestview) employment market is largely driven by Department of Defense spending with a side of tourism. If you're a veteran, it really helps in terms of getting a good job, doubly so if you have an active security clearance.

If you have a background in money or IT, Navy Federal Credit Union seems to be doing some large expansions on the north side of Pensacola, and the Pensacola area in general has probably the most diverse job scene on the Panhandle. I would target that area for jobs and the adjacent Milton/Pace area of Santa Rosa County for home and K-12 school purposes. It's the scenario that seems to hit pretty much everything on your checklist to the point I'm kind of thinking you're asking us to validate some research you've already done elsewhere.

Not sure where in Kentucky you're coming from, but housing in parts of Florida that have decent jobs in general can and does often command a premium compared to other parts of the South and Midwest.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:45 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Check out Pace, Florida. It's closer to 20,000, but good schools. My Son's travel baseball team used to compete against the Pace Seadogs, so I have interacted with the parents during the games, and they loved Pace.

I would also suggest Lynn Haven, but I think they got hammered by the last Hurricane, so by the time you are ready to move down there, they might not have had enough time to recover. I just know its great for family's. We used to play the Lynn Haven Longhorns, and they loved Lynn Haven just like the travel baseball parents loved Pace.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:12 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
My friends in Lynn Haven (nice suburb of Panama City) say it's still in post-storm apocalypse mode and the job market in that area is largely tourism dependent where you want to move down there with job offer in hand under normal circumstances.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:53 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
My friends in Lynn Haven (nice suburb of Panama City) say it's still in post-storm apocalypse mode and the job market in that area is largely tourism dependent where you want to move down there with job offer in hand under normal circumstances.
I know a diesel mechanic and a hydraulics mechanic down there who are close to 6 figures. They are journeymen, but there are skilled people down there doing very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida