Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 11:47 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times

Advertisements

Also, if you want to go swimming in late December?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 12:15 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Siesta Key Beach

Old 11-12-2018, 02:51 PM

25,774 posts, read 12,840,301 times
Marco Island for late December.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:23 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
The water is cold in December but if you are used to the water in the northeast in the summer it's about the same.

the best would be in Key West as far as tropical, warm, and clean water.

I think the Tampa/St Pete area has the best powdery sand, don't know if it's white.

The beaches themselve don't have a lot of palm trees on the sandy areas, maybe just in the area when you first get on.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:39 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
The truly white sand beaches in Florida are located in the Panhandle - largely between Panama City and Pensacola). The sand color in turn determines the appearance of the water, which is why the area is referred to as the Emerald Coast.

Swimming in late December depends on what you consider cold, both outside and in the water. I see people swimming at the beach then, but, after many years in Florida, we consider it too cold (except for selected days).

Old 11-12-2018, 05:26 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,898,981 times
The sand and water in the Destin area are pretty outstanding as far as their appearance.Clearwater and Siesta Key are always in the mix for best beach.Key West doesnt have any real beaches,whatever you see are made,the keys are not known for beaches,they could be in the running for warm waters but the keys are more about drinking and fishing,not beaches.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:19 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
So, basically it looks like the Tampa bay area or thereabouts are my best bet.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:26 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, basically it looks like the Tampa bay area or thereabouts are my best bet.
If, due to weather, etc, you select Central Florida, don't leave-out the Melbourne/Indialantic/Satellite Beach area on the Space Coast. We lived there for about 27-years (directly on the beach for about 10); and also lived in Tampa for several years. A few key differences between the E/W Coast beaches are:

Access: E Coast offers far better access and parking with less beachfront traffic
Sand: Sand is about equal, but, E Coast has more coquina rock in long stretches
Surfing: E Coast has the surf and has spawned major U.S. surfing champions (K. Slater, Hobgoods, etc)
Water: W. Coast often seems prettier; but remember, W. Coast is GULF, while E Coast is OCEAN
Fishing: W. Coast offers better ocean/boat access, while E. Coast is limited to Cape Canaveral and Sebastian

As mentioned in an earlier post, we've lived on the Emerald Coast (Destin) for the past 8-years, which, by far, offers the prettiest beaches (white sand and water color) in Florida.

Of course, if you are still working and can only spend an occasional weekend at the beach, it really won't matter where in Florida you live (From the Center of the state to either the E or W coast beaches is only about a 1-hour drive.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:36 AM

25,774 posts, read 12,840,301 times
Y'all, the OP wants to swim in late December. That means from Bonita Springs South on the West Coast and Miami South on the East Coast.

Some of the sand in Bonita Springs just North of Naples is White, like Barefoot Beach, where its as White as the Panhandle and even has sand oat covered Dunes. You could drive 20 minutes South to North Naples for nightlife at the Mercado...closer to Bonita Springs than going Downtown Naples. This would be my #1 choice for you. Barefoot Beach will not be too crowded either because too few know about it. Don't let the private guard gate deter you, there's a fabulous public beach just beyond it and they MUST let you through that gate because its the only way to access the State Park.

Key West has almost no sand whatsover, but some of the northern Keys has Islands with White sand and warm water. Not much to do at night though. Best best area in the Keys would be Islamorada. That would be my #2 choice for you. It will be crowded.

South Beach in Miami has near-white sand that isn't too course, and water color's nice, but overcrowded and parking's real tough and long distance to carry stuff from car to water's edge unless you go to SOFO's beach area where you can watchthe cruise ships co and go. Key Biscayne is worth a look if you are okay being near a major city...my #3 choice.

Naples water will be warm enough to swim, but their sand isn't White. Lot's to do at night Downtown. #4 choice.

Further South is Marco Island, warm aqua waters, sand is nice but not quite White, and not powdery, kind or remote #5

I have been to nearly every nice public beach in Florida. The Panhandle's too cold for late December. So is Clearwater Beach, and Pass-A-Grille in St. Petersburg. Too cold for Siesta Key. Lido's a mess right now so scratch that and too cold anyways. Delray's too cold and sands not White, but awesome nightlife. Boca Grande's awesome but too cold in late Dec. and very quiet at night.

If you can wait until the last minute to see what the weather's doing at that time, and if its in the 80's in Sanibel/Captiva, I'd add that to the list. Quiet at night though. Very Tropical feel to that area teeming with wildlife. Soft White sand. Very family friendly. If you don't like kids, skip this option. Otherwise, fly in to Ft. Myers.#6 Stay at South Seas Plantation resort.

I've been scouring beaches in Florida every Winter since 1977. I consider myself an expert. Trust me, for late December stay futher South. Even if a Artic cold blast comes through, you'll still be in shorts walking the beach.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:41 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
[quote=beach43ofus;53631506]
Key West has almost no sand whatsover /QUOTE]

Your post was pretty much spot on but wanted to correct the Key West error. Not sure if you're "almost no sand" comment was meant to include Smathers Beach which while manmade, was named one of the Top 10 beaches in Florida by the Travel Channel. The sand is powder white and doesn't burn your feet, much like Clearwater Beach and Siesta Key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida