Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2018, 07:22 PM

31 posts, read 23,942 times

Advertisements

We will be shopping for a liveable fixer uppper m/h in the north central Fl area next spring. I am looking to learn all aspects of country dwelling. Where we live now is in a m/h sitting on a hill overlooking a stream. We have the normal rabbits,possum,skunks, squirrels and deer that come right up to the back door. The pests here that need to be sanitized are the ground hog as they do a lot of damage. When we moved here we found that groundhogs got in the skirt, tore up the a/c ducts and burrowed so much out of the porch slab it cracked and I had to replace it.

I know from reading this forum there are nastier creatures down the there. I learned about fire ants while down there doing repair work after the four hurricaines crossed. I imagine I'll be clearing the grounds so what will I run into and what is the preferred method to neutralize it. Are there any laws reguarding pest control methods and property size ? I noticed a few properties had a pond or a canal that reached another waterway. Would it be safe to fish/kayak or are they more of a problem with snakes, gators and skeeters ? Last but not least. What breed of dog is best suiited for that type of area. I know not all breeds are suitable for that enviornment. Thanks for any help/recommendations. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 08:29 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Hire a pest control company to spray bi-monthly, these plans are usually $55 billed every two months with free service appointments if needed between treatments.

Hire a lawn fertizler company to spray the yard bi-monthly for insects, fungus, weeds, fertlizerz

Make sure your dog is on flea/tick/heartworm medicine year round.

Any dog is fine in Florida as long as they live inside the home and go outside only for fun and potty. However, of course dogs with long thick fur will not enjoy being outside during summer months, but still i know plenty of happy Huskies in Florida. Just don’t keep them outside because of insects, parasites, snakes and just the heat and humidity.

Water is desirable in CFL, the specific water way will determine the level of risk. I have a house in Dr Phillips on a lake, I’d have no problem jumping off the dock into the lake, however if it was Lake Apopka, I’d be eaten alive by gators. As a general rule, you shouldn’t swim in 99% of the lakes, but kayaking is fine in a lot of them, and fishing is fine in all of them. The best water to enjoy in CFL is from the natural springs, they are gorgeous.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:05 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,900,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiskid1973 View Post
What breed of dog is best suiited for that type of area. I know not all breeds are suitable for that enviornment. Thanks for any help/recommendations. God bless.
Well I you plan on your dog being part of your family, the breed doesn't matter as it will be indoors close to the rest of the family where they want to be. If you are going to treat your dog like part of the wildlife and leave it outside, best just not get one.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:51 AM

4 posts, read 2,602 times
The breed of Dog doesn't matter here. Make sure that the dog does not get affected. You should find out the ways and hire the Pest Control Services to get out these problem.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:59 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Basically most of these pests are just to be kept out of the house - no need to kill fire ant on a large scale, etc. away from your house and porch.

You learn certain things in Florida - and one of them is not to sit upon mounds of earth in your shorts...

There is too much life here to kill it all.....it wins without even trying. Main thing is to keep too much moisture and mold and then insects out of your house and other structures. Plenty of termites around....even many that don't need to come from the ground! One of them flies in and....years later, the sawdust piles out.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:07 PM

4 posts, read 2,602 times
This could be very dangerous for you as well as for your dog. You should take immediate action against this Pest. I have read an article and found that many of them have hired Pest control Services to live in insects free environment and I have been searching since one week and found that https://www.rosevillecapestcontrol.com/pest-control/ Services helps people to get out of this problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida