Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2020, 08:41 PM

4 posts, read 2,528 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am asking ALOT of you all. I thank you very much for your time in advance. If you have at least a few suggestions to help me narrow down cities. In order of need:

1. On beach or one block off to help with humidity/mosquitos
2. I am very allergic to mold so not sure if that can be helped near water? May be a newer home?
3. Small/Medium sized community for church, docs, and less traffic
4. Thinking West coast might be prettier than East??
5. We love to walk, swim, paddleboard, kayak, etc.
6. May be ok in a 55 and up community?

Any thoughts?

Thank you and I hope you are doing well.
Patti
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 09:17 PM

3,234 posts, read 3,191,046 times
You forgot one more bullet point:
7. Budget?

Depending on that the rest of your questions can be answered better.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:26 AM

264 posts, read 337,939 times
Gulf coast is way more expensive than the Atlantic coast.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:04 AM

Budget for housing below $450,000 prefered.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:34 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
All of Florida is extremely humid, so if you don't like humidity, this state is not for you. Your budget maybe is too low for "on" the beach, maybe even "one block off" depending where you are looking. Possibly a condo somewhere. Mold is from water intrusion, also if you live where there are a lot of older trees with decaying organic matter. Sunlight kills mold.

Honestly, it's hard to answer such a broad question. Especially the "small to medium size community" part. But maybe others here will have some ideas.

Good luck!

Old 06-22-2020, 07:53 AM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granola71 View Post
Hello,
I am asking ALOT of you all. I thank you very much for your time in advance. If you have at least a few suggestions to help me narrow down cities. In order of need:

1. On beach or one block off to help with humidity/mosquitos
2. I am very allergic to mold so not sure if that can be helped near water? May be a newer home?
3. Small/Medium sized community for church, docs, and less traffic
4. Thinking West coast might be prettier than East??
5. We love to walk, swim, paddleboard, kayak, etc.
6. May be ok in a 55 and up community?

Any thoughts?

Thank you and I hope you are doing well.
Patti
At 450K or less on/near the beach in a home versus condo I would recommend the Satellite Beach/South Patrick Shores area in Brevard County on the Atlantic side. It's a very safe and well-established community popular with active duty and retired military from nearby Patrick AFB as well as families looking for good schools. In your price range you can find homes in the 2 block to 3 block distance from the beach which are very nice in that area and not overcrowded. A few blocks the other direction is the Indian River which is popular for kayaking and paddleboarding. Age of home has nothing to do with mold, it's about the tree cover and lack of sunlight, neither of which should be a problem there.

https://www.satellitebeach.org/
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...29,14&qdm=true

Old 06-22-2020, 09:04 AM

Thank you all ! Kyle19125 I had not thought about going to the East Side of Florida.... cool suggestions. I also learned more about mold issues. Thank you for this helpful advice!

Old 06-22-2020, 02:56 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,199,282 times
Kyle is right to point you to Brevard County in your price point. There are plenty of homes within a few blocks of the beach in that price range. You could also consider areas to the north in Volusia, Flagler, and St. Johns County. Basically, I would take a trip and drive AIA from Melbourne Beach to St. Augustine Beach and check out all the beach towns and see what you like.

Homes on the west coast within blocks of the beach can run into the millions. Prices can be double or higher. The northern half of the east coast of Florida has the most affordable oceanfront real estate. One negative of Brevard is you are near 2 major air force bases and NASA. There's been a lot of talk of cancer clusters and water well contamination from decades of pollution so I would get a very good in home filtration system to be safe so you have good water.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:29 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,170,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Kyle is right to point you to Brevard County in your price point. There are plenty of homes within a few blocks of the beach in that price range. You could also consider areas to the north in Volusia, Flagler, and St. Johns County. Basically, I would take a trip and drive AIA from Melbourne Beach to St. Augustine Beach and check out all the beach towns and see what you like.

Homes on the west coast within blocks of the beach can run into the millions. Prices can be double or higher. The northern half of the east coast of Florida has the most affordable oceanfront real estate. One negative of Brevard is you are near 2 major air force bases and NASA. There's been a lot of talk of cancer clusters and water well contamination from decades of pollution so I would get a very good in home filtration system to be safe so you have good water.
Water systems were tested and not found to be infiltrated. Still recommend a water filter though because water in Florida tends to taste funny anyway-city or well does not make a difference to me and I have been here for 45 years at least and have had both. One area I lived in I could not even stand to cook or rinse spaghetti with the city water because it made the spaghetti taste funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida