Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2020, 11:18 PM

18 posts, read 12,616 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

So last year I got evicted for non payment after 4 years of being at that apartment. As far as paying the balance after the fact, i brought my rent current but had thirty days to come up with an aditional 2 months for leaving early which i didnt have resulting in that balance being sent to collection after the 30 days. I know this is pretty much an automatic denial from most big complexes. But i would like to know if the following plan would help (I live in FL btw):

So the apartment i want to get is a luxury apt. for 1,600/mo. My take home income from my job that ive had the past 2 yrs is just under 4x that (they require at least 2x income). I have a clean background and no complaints from my previous LL outside of non payment. Id even be willing to have new potential LL call them to verify this (even sent an email to the staff at the leasing office after the judgment letting them know that that I appreciated their help over the years and that i had nothing but good remarks about the property).

Now ive done my research and ive found that offering to pay the entire lease upfront is pretty much out of the question since, to my understanding, if i left/broke my lease all unused rent would be owed back to me anyway. So my question is this: if i went in there, explained my situation, and offered to pay the entierty of a 7 month lease down as a security deposit, then pay my regular rent as usual from month 1, would I be able to negotiate a lease with a prior eviction, poor credit? My thinking is that, if for whatever reason they had to evict me (just playing worst case senario), because i had the entierty of the lease as a security deposit they would be able to draw any balance off of this before returning it. That and being able to show that money was the only issue (not someone who caused all kinds of damage to the unit or noise complaints, or whatever other implications come with considering a tenant with a past eviction).

Any help is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 11:26 PM

480 posts, read 423,811 times
Why not rent a condo from a private owner? I would think they would have the freedom to be more flexible.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
Why not rent a condo from a private owner? I would think they would have the freedom to be more flexible.
I know beggers cant be choosers, but my concern with a private owner is that when offering a large security deposit you never really know what they're doing with the money. I have no problem letting someone hold it in and account but dont want get scammed/have trouble when it comes time to get my deposit back.

Old 07-28-2020, 12:16 AM

10,402 posts, read 8,640,581 times
So you are asking a landlord to trust you after being evicted and you don’t trust him? Seems like he holds the cards. You’re telling the landlord he has access to the deposit if you don’t pay, but he doesn’t since you aren’t giving it to him but holding it in a separate account. I’d tell you to take a hike. Too many renters out there with no issues to consider putting up with your situation.

Old 07-28-2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
So you are asking a landlord to trust you after being evicted and you don’t trust him? Seems like he holds the cards. You’re telling the landlord he has access to the deposit if you don’t pay, but he doesn’t since you aren’t giving it to him but holding it in a separate account. I’d tell you to take a hike. Too many renters out there with no issues to consider putting up with your situation.
No I'm not saying hold the deposit in my own separate account. I'm saying I dont mind giving a potential private LL a large deposit. Just dont want to give it to him and he spends on a car or whatever (being a private LL and not a business) and now I'm screwed out of a few thousand dollars if that makes sense. I know this isn't always the case but more likely when dealing with a private owner vs an actual complex. And I know that a private owner is an option better suited to my situation but my question is could have a shot at a larger complexes with what I'm offering.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:57 AM

480 posts, read 423,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickfl86 View Post
I know beggers cant be choosers, but my concern with a private owner is that when offering a large security deposit you never really know what they're doing with the money. I have no problem letting someone hold it in and account but dont want get scammed/have trouble when it comes time to get my deposit back.
You're not being realistic. What does it matter what happens to your deposit as long as you get it back in the end (provided you've met the qualifications to get it back). It the same thing when dealing with a bank: You deposit $100 and go back in a year to withdraw it...you're not getting that same $100 back...it's been loaned out to another customer and they're paying it back with interest. That's how they make money!

Old 07-28-2020, 09:11 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,288,656 times
You have to look at it not just from you point of view, but also the landlord's point of view. If the landlord has been burned before, or knows other landlords that have been burned before, why should they select you as a renter, when you may be a high risk tenant, in their viewpoint? If they can just as easily rent to someone with good credit. There's no reason that they would select you as their tenant. If I was a landlord, which I'm not, I would never rent to someone who was evicted in the past. Why would I risk getting burned? My in-laws have rental homes, and I hear lots of stories about all the problems that they have. That's why I decided to never buy rental property. Just too many hassles with bad tenants.

When I was growing up, my parents had several rental properties. Many tenants would quit paying the rent, and they had to be evicted. Sometimes the police would have to stop by and physically remove the deadbeat tenants. They always left tons of garbage that we'd have to clean up. They damaged the property, which would have to be repaired. The tenants had endless complaints that they would try to use to extend their freeloading to fight and delay the evictions. There are two type of tenants. There are good tenants, and there are bad tenants. The landlord does not want to risk having a bad tenant. A bad tenant makes the landlord's life miserable and costs them money and time.

I also suggest that you find a smaller landlord, rather than a large corporate landlord. The larger corporate landlord are going to have policies that do not allow them to rent to perspective tenants with a history of problems, usually no exceptions. You might also have to find a landlord who is more desperate to rent their property, which might be located in a higher crime area, or there are problems with the rental property that you simply have to accept as a tenant. That's the price you have to pay if have a bad tenant history or bad credit history.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:23 AM

10,402 posts, read 8,640,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickfl86 View Post
No I'm not saying hold the deposit in my own separate account. I'm saying I dont mind giving a potential private LL a large deposit. Just dont want to give it to him and he spends on a car or whatever (being a private LL and not a business) and now I'm screwed out of a few thousand dollars if that makes sense. I know this isn't always the case but more likely when dealing with a private owner vs an actual complex. And I know that a private owner is an option better suited to my situation but my question is could have a shot at a larger complexes with what I'm offering.
Honestly I think you are worried a landlord is going to do to you what you did with the last landlord. A private landlord is most often a business. Uses the same legal forms, same laws, etc. I own over 20 rentals and it is a business, gets reported on my taxes etc.
A larger complex will probably tell you no. A private landlord might give you some leeway.you might find something. But honestly you are in the worse position and don’t realize it.

Old 08-01-2020, 10:24 AM

285 posts, read 230,698 times
keep looking, move on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida