Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 03:28 AM

2 posts, read 1,826 times

Advertisements

I'm a single remote worker in my early 30s and I'm moving to Florida early next year. Trying to decide between Downtown St Pete and Downtown Orlando specifically. Have been to both places. My general sense is DT Orlando felt cleaner, safer and preppier and DT St Pete felt more picturesque and more alternative/artsy.

I'm into live music especially alternative rock, japanese video games, weird artsy psychological movies and I'm writing a sci-fi novel. Just a little background info about me and my vibe. I'm a tattoos, long hair, band tank tops kind of guy. I liked that St Pete seemed more artsy and alternative, and I liked that Orlando seemed geekier. Really split between these two spots. Loved them both. Just can't decide, so I'm resorting to gathering other people's opinions.

Which place do people think is better to live, or where a guy with my interests might be happier? Which has a better dating scene? Also, this is somewhat of a weird question, but I'm from LA originally where there's a heavy asian presence, wondering also which city has a more noticeable asian population or at least better japanese/korean food which is a staple for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 03:55 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,701,592 times
Sr Pete of course and right by the Bay Side !!!!

Old 11-29-2020, 04:42 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,942,401 times
It sounds like you are slightly more a match for St. Pete, but this is not a slam dunk. You could be just as happy in Orlando. One thing to consider is that St. Pete is only about 15 minutes from the beach, Orlando is about 45 min to an hour if this is important to you. Another difference is the Asian population difference. Orlando is much better with this requirement, and it's not close. The Asian population in the Bay Area is tiny. Both are great places though, and considered by many to be the two best Downtown's in the State. Your personal assessments of both are pretty spot on!

Good luck!

Old 11-29-2020, 07:16 AM

747 posts, read 498,892 times
Love both downtowns but St. Pete is better. Downtown Orlando continues to improve but it aspires to be what downtown St. Pete already is. Not sure if I’d consider either unsafe but I wouldn’t say Orlando is safer. Lake Eola is really nice and picturesque and there are a bunch of other great spots but too much of Orlando’s downtown is under massive construction at the moment. For that reason, and because of St. Pete’s great shopping, dining, and the (admittedly overrated) Pier, I’d pick downtown St. Pete. Easily the best large downtown in Florida, although Orlando’s continues to ascend.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:25 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggles999 View Post
I'm into live music especially alternative rock, japanese video games, weird artsy psychological movies and I'm writing a sci-fi novel. Just a little background info about me and my vibe. I'm a tattoos, long hair, band tank tops kind of guy. I liked that St Pete seemed more artsy and alternative, and I liked that Orlando seemed geekier. Really split between these two spots. Loved them both. Just can't decide, so I'm resorting to gathering other people's opinions.

Which place do people think is better to live, or where a guy with my interests might be happier? Which has a better dating scene? Also, this is somewhat of a weird question, but I'm from LA originally where there's a heavy asian presence, wondering also which city has a more noticeable asian population or at least better japanese/korean food which is a staple for me.
Definitely Orlando. While St Pete is more artsy for sure it's more high brow and definitely not the grungy artist look kind of crowd. Orlando also has a sizable Asian community (predominately Vietnamese, Korean and some Chinese) with lots of restaurants/markets close to downtown.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:55 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,421,256 times
They're my two favorite "downtowns" in the state, and both have pros and cons. Cons in Downtown Orlando would be lack of shopping options outside of specialty boutiques, which is odd, and annoying.
Cons in St-Pete would be that it steers a bit on the "bougie" side.

The two above posts (Uncommon and Kyle) sum it up quite well.

In the end, I'd pick based on area preference (Tampa Bay vs Metro Orlando) and probably not so much just their downtowns, as it's pretty close.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:49 AM

747 posts, read 498,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
They're my two favorite "downtowns" in the state, and both have pros and cons. Cons in Downtown Orlando would be lack of shopping options outside of specialty boutiques, which is odd, and annoying.
Cons in St-Pete would be that it steers a bit on the "bougie" side.

The two above posts (Uncommon and Kyle) sum it up quite well.

In the end, I'd pick based on area preference (Tampa Bay vs Metro Orlando) and probably not so much just their downtowns, as it's pretty close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Definitely Orlando. While St Pete is more artsy for sure it's more high brow and definitely not the grungy artist look kind of crowd. Orlando also has a sizable Asian community (predominately Vietnamese, Korean and some Chinese) with lots of restaurants/markets close to downtown.
To an extent, I disagree. Beach Dr is definitely bougie, but that doesn’t represent the entire downtown. Central is definitely not bougie. It can get pretty rowdy and not “high brow,” whatever that’s supposed to mean. The great thing about St. Pete is if you want cool, grungy, or hipster bars, you can go to Central. If you want high-end dining, Beach Drive is available. Downtown Orlando doesn’t really have that option, unless we count Eola and Thornton Park as downtown, and even then, I don’t know if I would consider it upscale.

Old 11-29-2020, 12:20 PM

119 posts, read 122,453 times
This one is tough. I think the vibe in St. Pete is more what you’re looking for, but Orlando isn’t bad.

How much do you value good Japanese or Korean? St. Pete and Tampa don’t really have any good Korean. St. Pete doesn’t really have a centralized Asian area either, Tampa has a couple very small ones. Orlando by comparison is far better with Little Saigon on E Colonial and a number of good Korean places. If that’s important to you it might tip the scale in Orlando’s favor.

Old 11-29-2020, 01:16 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
To an extent, I disagree. Beach Dr is definitely bougie, but that doesn’t represent the entire downtown. Central is definitely not bougie. It can get pretty rowdy and not “high brow,” whatever that’s supposed to mean. The great thing about St. Pete is if you want cool, grungy, or hipster bars, you can go to Central. If you want high-end dining, Beach Drive is available. Downtown Orlando doesn’t really have that option, unless we count Eola and Thornton Park as downtown, and even then, I don’t know if I would consider it upscale.
High brow meaning a more legit/noteworthy art scene with a national reputation versus Orlando's which really isn't there much at all. I disagree regarding grungy in St Pete's Grand Central District. Yes, it's younger than Downtown overall but you don't get that Seattle, Portland or even Asheville grunge level. It's up there for FL but that's not saying a whole lot on that topic.

Old 11-30-2020, 03:27 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,785,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

Plus just jump on the train to Winter Park for a LOT of good restaurants and then take it back. Easy and cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida