Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2021, 07:32 PM

63 posts, read 34,835 times

Advertisements

I have visited Miami and Miami Beach before so I have an idea for that area, but I wondered how does everything change from city to city, up the coast beginning at Miami and ending at West Palm Beach.

These are the cities on my radar:
Miami
Miami Beach
Fort Lauderdale
Boca Raton
West Palm Beach

These are the key factors that I consider while comparing these cities:
Is it adaptable for a single New Yorker transplant with no kids yet?
Is it adaptable for New Yorkers pace of life in general?
Does it have too overwhelming of a retiree population?
What are the current employment prospects and outlooks?
Can people who really need to live there without a car, live there without a car?

Questions:
Is Fort Lauderdale built up large enough that it’s okay for single New Yorkers with no kids? (Or is there mostly family oriented people and retirees)

Is Boca Raton just pure mega-bucks or is there a middle class? (Is it all just ultra wealthy in mansions and then poor people serving the rich)

Is Miami and Miami Beach the only feasible place for single transplants? (I’m not suggesting a party atmosphere at all, just not dominated by families raising kids and more settled down people)

Is West Palm Beach just a small town? Is it entirely too small or slow for a New Yorker with things going on (Not sure how else to word that, but WPB must be on the slow side)

Is Miami the only city that has a youth culture that is not that full-on retirement community? (I think the retirement culture can effect even younger crowds of people but the Miami metro area seems like the only exception)

Are wages low across the board, or is Miami slightly higher wages? (I would think Fort Lauderdale also has some unique opportunities to make decent money)

Can you live in any of these cities without a car? (Like to live in a downtown neighborhood that is walking distance to a grocery store, and has some buses or just riding bikes, taking taxis and other means, occasional rental cars, or a moped or something)

Is Florida building a high speed rail system? (If yes, how well is it connected to the areas from Miami to WPB)

What is the name of the coastal area from Miami to WPB? (Is that all considered South Florida)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 09:23 PM

647 posts, read 415,178 times
Lots of questions! I assume based on your desire for a walkable area you are from NYC? Also I didn’t get your age...This may play a role in the areas I would suggest.

I could probably sum up my post by just saying that the Brickell area of Miami will be the most urban experience (walkability, Uber/Lyft scooters etc)in pretty much all of Florida and make your NYC transition easier. That said, I will address those other cities.

Fort Lauderdale: Broward Blvd downtown, Las Olas and FAT Village area (especially if you’re artsy or into “counter culture”) may suit your needs. Lively strip, great restaurants, walkable and Ft. Lauderdale beach has a great “seen and be seen” culture if you’re into that. Has a real downtown and good, relatively diverse economy as well.

Boca Raton: Typically affluent, lots of NY, NJ transplants and has a high Jewish population. Mizner Park has seen better days, but is making a comeback. The FAU student body keeps the area young...although they hang out quite a bit in Delray Beach. Good paying jobs in this city too.

West Palm Beach: I’ll try not to be biased as I live here. The island of Palm Beach is very affluent...WPB itself is a mixed bag. Great up and coming downtown (Clematis St) that gets pretty lively from Thursday night on to Sunday night. Decent economy, but if you add Palm Beach Gardens & Jupiter as well then I’d say good economy. This city also hosts SunFest.

Delray Beach: You didn’t mention this city, but it should be on your radar. The east Atlantic strip probably has the best restaurant scene outside of Miami especially since adding the food hall. The city is small and is essentially just a strip, but punches way above its weight for nightlife around the Pineapple Grove Arts District.

As far a wages go, what field are you in? If you’re expecting NYC wages you’ll be disappointed, but if you’re in a high demand, high wage field it isn’t that bad. My wife and I are mid 30s and do very well in regards to HHI. Also South Florida does have the Brightline train that connects MIA, FLL, and WPB and will soon connect to central Florida so it may not matter which city you ultimately choose.

Last edited by silverct9a; 05-18-2021 at 10:14 PM..

Old 05-24-2021, 06:36 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,064,004 times
Did you happen to see Hollywood on the map? It's worth a look too. The east side around Young Circle is a desirable area.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:22 AM

1,049 posts, read 964,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Did you happen to see Hollywood on the map? It's worth a look too. The east side around Young Circle is a desirable area.
Yeah the area around Young Circle and Harrison Street is really picking up in development. There are new condos going up all around there. It's also close to the beach and broadwalk area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida