Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2021, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 951 times

Advertisements

Hey y’all! Moving from Colorado to Florida due to my and my husbands sensitivity to the dangerous air quality and looking to purchase a house in Florida (450k max). Looking for areas with a little land/big yard and not hoa cookie cutter (.25 acres or more) for our 2 working dogs and possibly horses, chickens or mini cows someday and good to raise kiddos (safe and good schools). We are very health conscious so having somewhat reasonable access to Whole Foods (under 30 min) or similar is important as well as access to nature or beaches as our spare time is spent either fishing, skateboarding or taking the dogs to lake, river or beach. Ideally would love to not be crowded like Miami/south beach, though I love it there. We are far removed from drinking, bars and nightlife, though we appreciate good food. Curious on recommendations for areas. We’ve been considering Naples, Melbourne, st Augustine, Vero beach and Gainesville. Any other suggestions or comments about the places I mentioned?!

Last edited by Mk83; 12-20-2021 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2021, 05:45 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,660,795 times
Limited experience on my end, but St. Augustine and Gainesville would suit you well. Ocalla as well.

Old 12-20-2021, 05:57 PM

2,381 posts, read 2,366,080 times
Gainesville is a good match.

Last edited by FL_Expert; 12-20-2021 at 06:59 PM..

Old 12-20-2021, 06:55 PM

3,318 posts, read 3,269,489 times
Gainesville checking in here; your price range should get you into an older (early 90’s or older) home that is a 3/2 or 4/2. 1/4 of an acre should not be a problem. Look south of Archer Road (that would put you less than 30 minutes to Whole Foods) or the northern part of the city (where Gainesville borders the city of Alachua). This will put you less than 30 minutes to a Fresh Market.

Also check the town of Newberry (lots of new builds—big horse farm area, lots of agriculture too) and the city of Alachua. These are both right outside of Gainesville. Living here, you’ll also be able to visit lots of farmers markets with local produce, prepared foods and hand-crafted items. I love seeing what’s available.

As for swimming with the dogs, we take our dog to St. Augustine or Jacksonville Beach and more often than not, we spend the night there, but you can make a day trip out of it. The rivers have bacteria problems and the lakes have gators, so beaches are your best bet.

Schools in Gainesville are good; the city that has the best reputation for schools is High Springs, 30 minutes north of Gainesville. Fresh Market would be a bit farther from you but you’d still have fabulous farmers markets and your budget should go even further.

Health care is fantastic and lots of opportunities to enjoy nature with the various wetlands and preserves. We moved up from SFLA about 6 years ago and I am still not used to seeing hawks, woodpeckers, cardinals and other birds in my backyard. See deer, foxes, owls—and I live in a subdivision, not even out in the official country! Good luck with your search.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:05 AM

17,586 posts, read 39,296,473 times
I agree with above suggestions; however I doubt you can have horses or cows on such a small lot. Usually it is a minimum of 2 acres per horse, but this can vary by locality. Also rural areas will tend not to have access to Whole Foods.

I would also suggest looking in the Myakka area east of Bradenton/Sarasota, basically east of Lakewood Ranch This is only about 45 minutes into the city where there is Whole Foods and other amenities.

Another suggestion would be to look at the smaller towns in Polk County where there are a lot of lakes/nature yet easy access to Tampa or Orlando for Whole Foods, etc. (depending on the town)

Good luck!

Old 12-21-2021, 02:51 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,157,184 times
Tallahassee could fit the bill. Surrounded by farms and local farm to table. It’s the right size without being crazy or busy.

Old 12-21-2021, 03:41 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,804,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk83 View Post
Hey y’all! Moving from Colorado to Florida due to my and my husbands sensitivity to the dangerous air quality and looking to purchase a house in Florida (450k max). Looking for areas with a little land/big yard and not hoa cookie cutter (.25 acres or more) for our 2 working dogs and possibly horses, chickens or mini cows someday and good to raise kiddos (safe and good schools). We are very health conscious so having somewhat reasonable access to Whole Foods (under 30 min) or similar is important as well as access to nature or beaches as our spare time is spent either fishing, skateboarding or taking the dogs to lake, river or beach. Ideally would love to not be crowded like Miami/south beach, though I love it there. We are far removed from drinking, bars and nightlife, though we appreciate good food. Curious on recommendations for areas. We’ve been considering Naples, Melbourne, st Augustine, Vero beach and Gainesville. Any other suggestions or comments about the places I mentioned?!
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...48028298_zpid/

Old 12-23-2021, 05:24 AM

43 posts, read 21,684 times
If you like skateboarding, you can find an area with a skate park nearby. Skate parks are city-approved and equipped with bank ramps, vert ramps, stair sets, and quarter pipes that are all ideal for an unadulterated skateboarding experience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida