Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 12:40 PM

18,469 posts, read 8,292,857 times

Advertisements

no surprises here......

Flight from big cities INCREASES despite end of pandemic with record numbers of homebuyers relocating from coastal cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles and Seattle to more affordable areas to beat inflation and work from home

The top cities people are looking to leave, according to their data, are San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Washington DC and Seattle.

Florida is an especially popular destination for people looking to leave both New York and Chicago.

Redfin suggests that 'sunny, relatively affordable' areas are often the most popular places to move, but Miami's at six times the number of searches for people to move than it was two years ago, while Tampa's numbers have tripled.

Last year's trend generally saw residents of more liberal 'blue' cities and states move to conservative 'red' states, and could lead to traditionally Republican areas turning Democrat thanks to the influx of newcomers.

Those blue cities have also been in the headlines for the wrong reasons in recent years, thanks to soaring levels of violent crime blamed on progressive district attorneys and slashing of police budgets.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...le-Boston.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 01:47 PM

25,777 posts, read 12,840,301 times
I reject the notion of "Republican areas turning Democrat thanks to the influx of newcomers". The facts do not show that.

https://florida.gop/governor-desanti...registrations/

In fact, Republicans have activated 363,000 new Republican voters, so now Pubs outnumber Dems by 100,000 in FLA for the 1st time ever.

I think the first people fleeing the "coastal cities", are Republicans who can't take living there anymore.

If they still work, & can work from anywhere, they leave, & come to FLA. If they're retirement age, they come to FLA too.

The coastal cities they are leaving, suffer from high; taxes, cost-of-living, crime, homelessness, school failures, traffic, & suffocating regs & laws restricting personal freedoms.

They prefer to live in the free state of Florida that follows science, & ditches masks, & they're feddup w/ being told to ignore science, & mask up.

These people were lied to about so many things in these coastal cities up North & out West, they are rebelling w/ their own personal reset.

Many of these people moving to FLA are bringing great wealth w/ them, & plan to spend it all here instead. The economic impact is huge.

Old 04-15-2022, 02:08 PM

18,469 posts, read 8,292,857 times
^ truth

these writers don't know everything

Old 04-15-2022, 04:41 PM

17,538 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I reject the notion of "Republican areas turning Democrat thanks to the influx of newcomers". The facts do not show that.

In fact, Republicans have activated 363,000 new Republican voters, so now Pubs outnumber Dems by 100,000 in FLA for the 1st time ever.

I think the first people fleeing the "coastal cities", are Republicans who can't take living there anymore.

If they still work, & can work from anywhere, they leave, & come to FLA. If they're retirement age, they come to FLA too.

The coastal cities they are leaving, suffer from high; taxes, cost-of-living, crime, homelessness, school failures, traffic, & suffocating regs & laws restricting personal freedoms.

They prefer to live in the free state of Florida that follows science, & ditches masks, & they're feddup w/ being told to ignore science, & mask up.

These people were lied to about so many things in these coastal cities up North & out West, they are rebelling w/ their own personal reset.

Many of these people moving to FLA are bringing great wealth w/ them, & plan to spend it all here instead. The economic impact is huge.
I agree with your post. Florida will experience growing pains for sure, but the amount of wealth coming will elevate it to a level it has never seen before. I am gobsmacked at what is going on in Sarasota right now in terms of building in and around downtown and elsewhere despite shortages or pandemics or what-have you. And there is a market for it or they wouldn't build it. So glad we kept our little house there. Plus I can't believe what its current value is. At any rate I can't blame people for wanting to come here - Florida is pretty hard to beat despite what the "naysayers" here have to say.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:15 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,348,166 times
Quote:

There is another reason too you forgot to mention. You see a lot of old Floridians, Southerners were registered for years as Democrats up until a few years ago. However in national and state elections would vote Republican in later years and also those old timers are dying out now and the remaining ones are switching their registration status to Republican because the democrats went too far left.

Gotta factor in that as well.

I'm from Missouri and the same thing up there. For years many identified as Democrats, but wouldn't dare vote for a Democrat the last 25 years in an national election. Little Dixie in central Missouri, and Southeast Missouri more identified as Democrats due to being pro Confederate areas and were raised that way.

In Florida many of these "crackers" southerners are registered as Democrats and never bother to change their status since they only vote in the Nov elections. Most of these people are in their 80s and older now and are now dying off. The new generation wasnt raised on the civil war voting mentality.

Notice the last couple elections were still close for governor and President in FL despite more registered Republicans which supports my theory.

Overall the FL GOP sucks. They have way too many RINOS in the state senate and house. They have anti gun Republicans. Half the Republicans in Tally wouldn't even win a Primary in Missouri or Tennessee for example.

Do you think the Florida RINO problem is because of the Northeast influence and more moderate Republicans?

When I was in Naples before the 2020 election driving around my old neighborhood I saw yard signs "Republicans for Biden" and "Republicans against Trump." Probably New England Republicans. Granted Trump is pretty moderate for a Republican to begin with.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
no surprises here......

Flight from big cities INCREASES despite end of pandemic with record numbers of homebuyers relocating from coastal cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles and Seattle to more affordable areas to beat inflation and work from home

The top cities people are looking to leave, according to their data, are San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Washington DC and Seattle.

Florida is an especially popular destination for people looking to leave both New York and Chicago.

Redfin suggests that 'sunny, relatively affordable' areas are often the most popular places to move, but Miami's at six times the number of searches for people to move than it was two years ago, while Tampa's numbers have tripled.

Last year's trend generally saw residents of more liberal 'blue' cities and states move to conservative 'red' states, and could lead to traditionally Republican areas turning Democrat thanks to the influx of newcomers.

Those blue cities have also been in the headlines for the wrong reasons in recent years, thanks to soaring levels of violent crime blamed on progressive district attorneys and slashing of police budgets.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...le-Boston.html
That Could be true for TX as TX the last 6 years has been a bit more blue. That's because many moving to TX are working age from places like California and moving to cities like Austin, Dallas, and Houston and are more liberal. They're moving due to cheaper living cost and the advanced jobs there. Young ones from those cities tend to be liberal.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:43 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,631,008 times
Quote:

^^^^^This, 9 out of 10 people from NJ that I know who moved to florida are republican voters.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:59 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,665,695 times
Miami has become a magnet for international capital and business, particularly vis-a-vis Latin America. Lately, Mayor Suarez has been pushing Miami to be the new center for tech entrepreneurs and cryptocurrency innovators.

https://www.city-journal.org/miami-s...-startup-haven

Old 05-13-2022, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 3,526 times
We recently wrote an article on this. The pandemic made the rich even wealthier. Wealthy folks from out of state will continue to value Florida's below-average tax rates, being happy to gobble up South Florida's high-priced homes.

With the ever-increasing shift towards remote work, countless Americans won't be forced to live near their workplaces. Also, tech interests are leaving Silicon Valley en masse due to restrictive laws and high operational costs in favor of cities like Miami — as well as Austin, Houston, and Denver. Financial institutions are also headed to South Florida for similar reasons. You can read more here: https://www.manhattanmiami.com/blog/...market-in-2022.

Old 05-13-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thericardomello View Post
We recently wrote an article on this. The pandemic made the rich even wealthier. Wealthy folks from out of state will continue to value Florida's below-average tax rates, being happy to gobble up South Florida's high-priced homes.

With the ever-increasing shift towards remote work, countless Americans won't be forced to live near their workplaces. Also, tech interests are leaving Silicon Valley en masse due to restrictive laws and high operational costs in favor of cities like Miami — as well as Austin, Houston, and Denver. Financial institutions are also headed to South Florida for similar reasons. You can read more here: https://www.manhattanmiami.com/blog/...market-in-2022.

The Scamdemic made tech related fields as well as major online retailers and the likes of Wal-Mart richer.

Tech related because during the lockdowns more people were doing shopping and corporations needed bigger servers. I have a relative who was a VP at a tech company which he'd sell servers and such to companies like Amazon and Microsoft. During the lockdowns and early days of Covid they made a killing from them because there was such a high demand . Which btw is why he retired a couple years early I think. Big bonuses from all these large companies needing to upgrade their server capacities.

Tech made a killing from Covid as well as bigboxes like Amazon and Wal-mart.

And still, anything tech is good. Notice even now big retailers are still pushing online sales, curbside ordering, etc.

I only see the demand for the tech industry to get larger and in return making a select few very rich.

I'm sure Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos wouldn't mind more lockdown$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida