Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 09:33 AM

846 posts, read 683,481 times

Advertisements

Are half of the threads on here really going to be Politics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2022, 09:34 AM

56 posts, read 39,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
In my County, the County gave tax breaks to developers who built at least 15% of any new community as "affordable housing"

"Affordable" was defined as some percent below the median single family home sale. I dont know the exact %.

The tax breaks were taken by a few developers, but not many.

I am seeing wider price gaps in new communities though. I'm seeing new $1.3M sfh's, in the same community as $450k multi-family dwellings...quite a price gap.

The only other solution is low-income people will need to move to places like North Port, & Parrish, or Arcadia, & possibly drive further to work. They called them bedroom communities, & they've been around for decades.
Hi Beach:

I was more concerned about Florida employees who are NOT considered “low income” - just underpaid for the area they “live/work in”.

That is AWESOME about the tax breaks!!!

Hmmm, I wonder why only a few took it?

Old 11-12-2022, 09:34 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
Quote:
In my County, the County gave tax breaks to developers who built at least 15% of any new community as "affordable housing"

"Affordable" was defined as some percent below the median single family home sale. I dont know the exact %.

I am seeing wider price gaps in new communities though. I'm seeing new $1.3M sfh's, in the same community as $450k multi-family dwellings...quite a price gap.

The only other solution is low-income people will need to move to places like North Port, & Parrish, or Arcadia, & possibly drive further to work. They called them bedroom communities, & they've been around for decades.
Best When those million dollar homes have a rental or subsided apartment complex in the same community as a small percentage of the total community.
The homeowners will insist that it stay nice and safe. The residents benefit from better community schools and services. Maybe even a kookbaya moments are possible. I’ve seen it!
When you create a situation where all the poors live in certain neighborhood, you create the need to build walls to keep the “riff raft” out.

Old 11-12-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Best When those million dollar homes have a rental or subsided apartment complex in the same community as a small percentage of the total community.
The homeowners will insist that it stay nice and safe. The residents benefit from better community schools and services. Maybe even a kookbaya moments are possible. I’ve seen it!
When you create a situation where all the poors live in certain neighborhood, you create the need to build walls to keep the “riff raft” out.

The other solution is the create centers of subsidized housing with some big draw. An example would be transit hubs, where everyone needs to go to get the train and there is a compelling reason to keep it safe and clean. It mixes up the populations as a necessity. I’ve also seen some success with major university neighborhoods.

Old 11-12-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
Hi lair8:

What do you mean?

I guess some do get moved and some get to stay. I have not figured that one.

Personally I do not do Politics but respect the members that do.

Anyway, I am not a mod and have zero interest in being one/lol.

Interesting question…..

Old 11-12-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaRetired2020 View Post
Hi Beach:

I was more concerned about Florida employees who are NOT considered “low income” - just underpaid for the area they “live/work in”.

That is AWESOME about the tax breaks!!!

Hmmm, I wonder why only a few took it?
There is such a thing as moderate income housing. It is usually based on the average income in the county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
1. Stop having tyrant governors running blue states so that everybody wouldn't want to move down here.

2. Stop inviting illegal aliens into the United States.

3. Stop sending our jobs to China.

4. Stop raking college students over the coals financially.

5. Stop having so many college students to work jobs that do not need college degrees.

6. Stop taxing middle income people to pay for all the poor people you created by doing most of the above.

7. Stop stealing tax dollars from the poor and the middle to give to the well-off to buy their Teslas...WHICH ARE IN NO WAY GREEN.

There's a lot more, but that's all I'm going to write for now.
Hi Pookie:

Yes, as more jobs head out of Florida to other countries, we will suffer more. Investments do go down sometimes. So we do need a “back up” plan for our Florida Workers = good-paying jobs and affordable housing for them.

Great points!

538 posts, read 732,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post

How else do you think we are going to solve the problems?

Old 11-12-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
There is such a thing as moderate income housing. It is usually based on the average income in the county.
Hi foodyum:

Yes, you are correct.

I was thinking of housing that is not “controlled” by the state of Florida.

You can move in with no “limits” to how much you earn.

In my opinion, that is not working and honest hard-working Florida Workers are living in awful situations.

Lol, it would be nice to keep our “honest” Florida Workers instead of being a “magnet” for scammers.

Great points!!!

Old 11-12-2022, 10:10 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
I live in the Sanford-Lake Mary area northeast of Orlando. Over the past few years around a dozen large new rental communities have been built here by varying developers/management companies and every single one of them is in the "luxury" category with upgraded interiors (granite/stainless kitchens) and hotel like amenities (saltwater pools, fitness centers) and services like valet trash. They all synchronize their rentals rates with a two-bedroom apartment going for around $2300-$2500 per month. Existing older properties responded by upgrading their interiors and are in the $1900-$2100 range now. Bottom tier properties are the subsidized housing apartments which are in short supply and something anyone on a moderate income would try to avoid given their condition and relative danger crime-wise. The answer in my opinion is NOT for more subsidized low-income housing, it's for more moderately priced housing. Apartment communities can be built that are modestly equipped with decent materials, energy efficiency and minus amenities most don't utilize anyway while keeping rental cost affordable. There's an evident aversion to it however and not sure why/how it continues. I only know as I have said repeatedly that it's not a sustainable practice to continue with stagnant wages that are already well below the national average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida