Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 05:22 PM

251 posts, read 885,700 times

Advertisements

There is suppose to be a big Town Hall Meeting broadcast on Bay News 9 tomorrow at 8pm for those of you who live in Pasco, Pinellas, Hernando, and Hillsboro Counties. They are going to discuss the high homeowners insurance premiums. It is to feature the state insurance commissioner, the president of Citizens Insurance, and some other experts. I for one want to hear what they have to say about all the increases we are getting, my moms insurance went from 860.00 three years ago to $5800.00 this October!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 09:02 AM

566 posts, read 2,058,328 times
Gosh darn it...we had one down here, at the Coral Gables high school, with state representives & even ins. people, etc. Seems there was a simple ad in the local paper & I missed it!!!

Old 10-12-2006, 11:30 AM

598 posts, read 2,268,419 times
Thanks for the reminder! I certainly don't want to miss it. Have you been watching the special commision meetings on tv? It's rather disapointing and frankly p*sses me off when I hear these insurance companies say how "spoiled we've been" and we "need to get real and realize our rates are still way too low"... what the hell???????????? *sigh* We need some help here!

Old 10-12-2006, 12:44 PM

96 posts, read 457,774 times
Default Insurance revolt

If you want up to date info and resources to help you fight this bunch of racketeers (the insurance monopoly) check out the website of hacfl.org (Homeowners Against Citizens). They have been working hard to mobilize people to get changes enacted to help all homeowners in getting rates reversed and laws changed. They will be on the panel tonight on Bay News 9.
Their web site is loaded with helpful info..

Old 10-12-2006, 01:23 PM

810 posts, read 3,305,504 times
Just curious if any politicians running for election next month accepted any contributions from the homeowner insurance industries? You'll know which side they are on!

Here in Michigan you can find out who contributed to which candidates via the net. I'm sure Florida has a similar system in place.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:01 PM

ok so did anybody get ANYTHING out of that tv meeting besides: 1. we have to make our homes stronger and 2. an increase in sales tax? *sigh* Didn't seem particularly productive... except to make me more nervous about what the future holds.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:14 PM

713 posts, read 2,669,350 times
Default Nuts! I missed it.

Our mortgage guy got us another quote and it was $600. less than another co. Look, look, look around so'more. I do like the idea about the group formed against the ins co. and looking into what officials get support from the gouger. The posters who offered that info and advice are to be thanked IMHO.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:49 PM

If ya missed it...

It will be available on demand on channel 342, starting tomarrow they said. And it will be the entire program including the Q & A from the audience.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:54 AM

251 posts, read 885,700 times
Default I went to the show!

Hi All,
I got the day off from work yesterday and went to see the live show that was on Bay News 9 last night and I also went to the Reform Committee Meeting that was held in Clearwater earlier that day. As for the Reform Committee I thought they were set up by the Governor to find solutions to the insurance crisis and increasing rates. The last thing that I heard Leut. Gov. Jennings say is that the hight insurance rates are here to stay and are only going to get worse. I also heard that in next years rate increases for Citizens Insurance they will include the cost of re-insurance...so does that mean another double or triple increase?
The Bay News 9 thing that made me mad is when Sam Miller (who represents the insurance industry) said that in fact the insurance is not pricing people out of their homes...What State is HE living in?? Aslo not broadcasted (it was after the tv spot) sam Miller told some lady who was asking why she couldn't get Statefarm to insure her in Clearwater but just insured a home she just bought in Pensacola (also hard hit by hurricanes) He said if you can still get insurance in Pensacola maybe you should sell you home and buy a 100 homes in Pensacola....He was SO rude to her??
I heard the girl from HAC (person for the people in Florida) was upset because she did not get to say the list of good "fixes" to the insurance crisis. I am going to check out their website today and see what they have to say. We need someone fighting for the people....Theses insurance companies are out of control....they make MILLIONS and we suffer.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:18 AM

I agree Sam Miller is an arrogant and rude SOB. That idiotic comment about us not being priced out of our homes made me so mad as well... and when the audience gasped and booed, he had the nerve to ask for their/our respect??? I was apalled by they way the HAC representative was treated. Not being allowed to speak and being cut off everytime she tried to make a point. They really need an aggressive man to be their rep. so OUR voices get heard. I'll watch it again tonight to see the Q & A part. What the hell is wrong with that Sam guy? I guess he doesn't have an answer to the woman with homes in Clearwater and Pensacola. Geeee it's no wonder they are getting nowhere with these committees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida