Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 12:29 PM

6 posts, read 75,486 times

Advertisements

For those of you moving and relocating to Florida...how is it so? Not everyone can move without a job, but I have been informed that most companies ignore you unless you have a Florida address. Im not looking for an executive field just customer service/call center in the mid 20's for salary. What are my chances of finding employment first?? How did you do it?? How long did it take you?? TIA for any responses at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2006, 12:42 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,212 times
This does not apply only to Florida. Any employer in the country will not take you seriously unless you have a local address. With the Internet job postings, employers are getting hundreds of applicants from out of town. Most of them are not serious about relocation so the employers prefer to ignore them all than sift through to find out who is serious and who isn't.

Of course there are exceptions.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:55 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times
Default it's tough ---

i know first hand. i am trying to find employment and i am having trouble too. good luck to us trying fo find employment before moving. i may actually go down to fla before we move, and get in front of hiring managers.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:34 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
You need to save up money, move there and then find a job. Nine years ago we moved from Michigan to Nevada. We didn't have jobs, we saved a lot of money, rented an apartment before arriving, and drove into town with our things. We got settled in our apartment a week or so and started looking for work. You need to save up enough money to live in for about a month or two. You need to have the apartment money too, as some places may require several months up front since you don't have a job (although in NV they didn't).

Now in Sept. we are moving to Florida. We have plenty of money in the bank so that we don't have to worry. We will move there, set up in an apartment, find jobs, then buy a house (we also have money from selling our current home).

You just have to apply for a transfer (if you work for a company that is national) or save money to live on until you find a job.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:49 PM

6 posts, read 75,486 times
Wow Redwings, that sounds harsh. People find jobs and move all the time, are you saying its 100% impossible?

Old 06-14-2006, 02:10 PM

110 posts, read 689,211 times
We agree with Redwings. While our first 2 interstate moves were company-paid, our move to Florida was on us. Too many people want to move here and they won't pay much attention to you before you are here. Not to say that we didn't have some phone screens back in the boom. But 3 years ago, we had to come down first. We landed in Orlando first but found a job in Tampa. So 7 weeks later we had to move again. Thankfully, the Tampa company reimbursed us for that move.

R&K

Old 06-14-2006, 05:26 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
I'm not saying it's impossible at all... but it's not practical for most people. There are some that get jobs lined up, can get transfers, etc. But there are many more people that need to go with saving money and making the leap. It's wonderful if you can line up a job first, but not always do-able.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:46 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,054 times
Wink jobs plentiful

There are lots of vacancies for all types of positions in the bigger cities all the time. Of course you can move here and find a job, unemployment in my area is at a low. Not enough people for the jobs here in Sarasota. Granted, some higher level or very specific kinds of jobs will be harder to land, but that's true anywhere. It should not take long after arriving to find something. But trying to line something up prior to arrival is usually done by specific careers. ie:medical profession, high level executive types, etc. What's the worst that can happen, you don't like it wherever you go, you move somewhere else. If someone wants to work, it's out there. Go for it!

Old 06-15-2006, 07:02 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,212 times
I would think that trying to find FL jobs in the IT / Computer software area would be a bit more challenging, is that right?

Old 06-15-2006, 07:45 AM

566 posts, read 2,058,255 times
Anything related to computer tech./programming jobs in S.FL are in high demand...so, are nursing jobs. I was reading the other day they are looking for workers from other parts of the world to fill the void.

Go and search the Classified section in the local paper (thru the web), of whichever county you choose, and see what they are looking for & call 'em up or fax your resume.

Last edited by lulu; 06-15-2006 at 07:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: