Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 07:44 PM

191 posts, read 665,861 times

Advertisements

I put an offer on a house in GG Estates in Naples a month ago. It was accepted 10 days later for close to the offered price. The home is new 2007 and never lived in. I am dealing with the builder directly and the realtor. I even get to choose tile carpet and appliances. It seems like a great deal and a nice place to live,
However the problem is that the a/c compressor was stollen along with the well pump at some point and now that its time for the inspection the builder was to have a new one put back in and the electric and water turned on. We spend all last week dealing with the issue of the ac compressor being stollen again because they didnt even want to put it in til closing . I said it was agreed to that we have it in for the inspection. So long story short, they were willing to pay to have it put in, taken out , and put back in all to avoid it being stollen again.
This gave me great concern over the crime and stealing in that area. I thought Naples was supposed to be a safe and rich place. I chose it over cape coral or lehigh for that reason and because its closer to more things I like to do. Well I read lots of data and stats and looked into crime prevention and even called the sherrif there. I am still waiting to talk to him. ok so the day came , today, for the inspection and I was looking forward to getting it done and being positive about my new house based on the findings. It looks immaculate from the inside and out.
Today I find out that the inspection did not happen and was posponed til new tue because why? The electric meter outside the house was stollen last night. Great. well now I am really concerned if this is a safe place to live.
I am a single parent and have an elderly mother as well. we will all be in the home. Its in the NE part of the Estates and yes its pretty rural. The area has big expensive homes and does not look run down but I know there are many forclosures in Naples and other places that seem to be a big business for thieves. when I talk to the realtor I am told , dont worry all will be fine. I am told that homes that are lived in are not targets but only vacent homes. I dont know if I believe this. How does a theif know its not lived in? How do I feel safe if I leave my home for several hours or days and leave my son or mother? How do I know these people wont steal the ac compressor again or worse break into the home/
Please give me some honest input as to what to do. I dont know if I should try to get out of the contract or find a different house in Naples or just forget it all and stay in Ca.
I love San Diego where I live now but I cant afford to buy a home here. So aside from all the other relocation factors I am dealing with, safety has now become my prime concern

Thanks for any input you can offer.
Debbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 08:53 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner View Post
I put an offer on a house in GG Estates in Naples a month ago. It was accepted 10 days later for close to the offered price. The home is new 2007 and never lived in. I am dealing with the builder directly and the realtor. I even get to choose tile carpet and appliances. It seems like a great deal and a nice place to live,
However the problem is that the a/c compressor was stollen along with the well pump at some point and now that its time for the inspection the builder was to have a new one put back in and the electric and water turned on. We spend all last week dealing with the issue of the ac compressor being stollen again because they didnt even want to put it in til closing . I said it was agreed to that we have it in for the inspection. So long story short, they were willing to pay to have it put in, taken out , and put back in all to avoid it being stollen again.
This gave me great concern over the crime and stealing in that area. I thought Naples was supposed to be a safe and rich place. I chose it over cape coral or lehigh for that reason and because its closer to more things I like to do. Well I read lots of data and stats and looked into crime prevention and even called the sherrif there. I am still waiting to talk to him. ok so the day came , today, for the inspection and I was looking forward to getting it done and being positive about my new house based on the findings. It looks immaculate from the inside and out.
Today I find out that the inspection did not happen and was posponed til new tue because why? The electric meter outside the house was stollen last night. Great. well now I am really concerned if this is a safe place to live.
I am a single parent and have an elderly mother as well. we will all be in the home. Its in the NE part of the Estates and yes its pretty rural. The area has big expensive homes and does not look run down but I know there are many forclosures in Naples and other places that seem to be a big business for thieves. when I talk to the realtor I am told , dont worry all will be fine. I am told that homes that are lived in are not targets but only vacent homes. I dont know if I believe this. How does a theif know its not lived in? How do I feel safe if I leave my home for several hours or days and leave my son or mother? How do I know these people wont steal the ac compressor again or worse break into the home/
Please give me some honest input as to what to do. I dont know if I should try to get out of the contract or find a different house in Naples or just forget it all and stay in Ca.
I love San Diego where I live now but I cant afford to buy a home here. So aside from all the other relocation factors I am dealing with, safety has now become my prime concern

Thanks for any input you can offer.
Debbie
I don't know anything specifically about the area but the type of opportunistic crime you describe happens every where. Your not talking about home invasions just property theft. They have targeted the house because it's empty. Once a car is in the driveway and there is activity going on it will end, you will be off the list. There are so many empty houses thieves are on the look out for them and your house meets the profile. You could try talking to neighbors or get the stats on the area and see what the crime rate is. Where I live we have a monthly news letter and it has the crime reports. I am always surprised at how many things happen in my little area and I live in a pretty nice area. There is always a lawn mower or patio stuff disappearing.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:35 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
I live in GG Estates. It sounds like you are having a run of extremely bad luck.

This area is attractive to both good and bad people because the houses are spread out and the rural nature of the area. Plus there are a lot of obviously vacant homes.

While unfortunate I would not let this deter you unless somehow it is costing you more.

I cannot imagine what value an electric meter is. FPL supplies them so they are "free" in a sense anyway.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:21 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
I've heard this is a problem in the SW part of the state. With massive amounts of foreclosures and high unemployment there are many vacant homes for the plundering and the economic need. I'm glad Im in Orlando we don't have it bad like much of the rest of the state.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:55 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Maybe others who know more can chime in here, but I've been advised to insure temporarily through TAPCO if the house is going to be vacant for longer than two months. That insurance is very expensive, but you shouldn't have trouble with a claim if the house gets vandalized or a fire starts while the house is vacant.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:34 AM

128 posts, read 648,258 times
I seem to agree, once the house is occupied I think the thieves will go elsewhere. We have had the same problem here in the Fort Myers and Cape Coral area. Somebody makes a cage that goes over the AC unit outside to help prevent this I think I saw it on Craigslist or somewhere. As far as the meter goes I'll bet somebody that had their power turned off and was in need of one to restore the power for themselves. Kind of crazy to be messing with the power IMO but desperate people do desperate things. All in all I think you will be OK once the home is occupied you will have homeowners ins. and there is always a security system. Being in a rural setting I think I would have one not as many neighbors to keep an eye on whats going on. Good Luck

Old 05-18-2009, 11:53 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Welcome to South Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida