Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 AM

910 posts, read 2,333,229 times

Advertisements

In the process of researching state (public) and private universities for my kid to attend. I found that Florida's state universities (UF, FSU, and UCF) are some of the most reasonable, but reputable schools to attend. I'm finding that many out-of-state folks are sending their kids to go down here and willing to pay out-of-state tuition because the out-of-state tuition these Florida schools charge are either the same or even more reasonable than in-state tuition on other states.

Also, Florida has Bright Futures program where even a decent B+ high school kid can get at least 50% tuition assistance (used to be around 75% until recent state cutbacks), and if you have a kid who earns A's and took AP or IB courses in high school, he/she can get 75-100% tuition covered.

If you're willing to deal with the other negative aspects of living down here, then yes, Florida is a great place for kids to go to college, and even their public school system is improving considering my kids went through and yes, one of them did get tuition covered through the Bright Futures program because of the good high school education he received.

The next question is, how long will these benefits last with Rick Scott as the new governor who's making cuts in education and other government-sponsored programs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 08:41 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
The degredation has already begun on the academic side. Not the quality of classes, but the access to the classes you need in order to graduate can be spotty, and some schools have a reupation that you'll be lucky to get the classes for your major in five years, including the odd summer term.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:48 AM

817 posts, read 2,252,251 times
oy....I mean no offense to the OP, but I hope the state schools aren't favoring out of state applications over in-state just to get more tuition money...if so, we need to raise out of state tuition.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:04 AM

910 posts, read 2,333,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
oy....I mean no offense to the OP, but I hope the state schools aren't favoring out of state applications over in-state just to get more tuition money...if so, we need to raise out of state tuition.
No offense taken. I think FL schools have a penchant for taking in-state students first simply because of the programs I mentioned, which is what I liked about FL's system, everyone has a chance to go to college. However, will that change if the new governor's initiatives cut or set back programs such as Bright Futures and other incentives for in-staters to go to school here? Hence the influx of out-state students whose parents want an excuse to visit and vacation down here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida