Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2007, 12:54 PM

34 posts, read 159,269 times

Advertisements

Hello: Does anyone know anything about Jasper Fl Had family there I use to visit but haven't been back down in many years now. Heard some parts of the town have blighted areas. Wonder why? What's going on? Thank you for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lynn View Post
Hello: Does anyone know anything about Jasper Fl Had family there I use to visit but haven't been back down in many years now. Heard some parts of the town have blighted areas. Wonder why? What's going on? Thank you for any information.

I visited Jasper with my husband 3 years ago. He has family there. Jasper, in my opinion is a dying city. Mostly all the white people there were old and seemed as though they and their families had been there for generations, and most of the black people there seem like they have no options to expand their horizons except for leaving the city for bigger and better things. It seemed like a hopeless little hick town in my opinion. BUT you know what they say about opinions, dont you?! Overall, everyone there was nice and welcoming, but bottom line is there is nothing to do there but drink and eat. NO recreation, no night life, no culture, very few jobs.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,139 times
Post Jasper--A Dying City

The assessment that was made by Taylor2000 about the city of Jasper was a very valid one. I have lived in this small rural town for many years. Many of the white residents do act as if they own the town and due to this thinking many businessess have been denied access to the city and therefore it is dying or has already died and no one has realized it yet. Additionally, many of the Blacks who live here have relagated themselves to a position of going along with the status quo or they have left to ensure their success and upward mobility elsewhere. The city needs GOD to breathe a breath of life into it as HE did Adam in the BIBLE or it will surely die.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:31 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,241,620 times
Its a nice small town. I have some friends that live there, and for recreation and such, they visit valdosta, lake city, or live oak.

There is a new development there called Hamilton Jai-Alai & Poker. They've got, obviously, jai-alai and poker, but also dining and racing.

Welcome to Hamilton Jai-Alai and Poker. Whether it be Jai-Alai, Thoroughbred Racing, Greyhound Racing or Texas Hold'em...we've got your game!

There are people from valdosta and around jasper that travel down there just to go to this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida