Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 20,267 times

Advertisements

I have Family member living off of student loans to afford the high living in Florida, they were in Orlando and now they live in Miami off of student loans there rent is over $1,000 a month can it be done or can that be wise for me to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 05:47 PM

737 posts, read 1,649,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herezaquarter View Post
We are looking to relocate our family to Florida from the northeast. Our criteria are mild weather, very good schools, family community, low crime, access to cultural activities, and good sports programs for the children. Coming from the northeast, our price range for a home is 600 - 900k. We looked at Weston and areas near Orlando. Please provide your thoughts for a great place to raise our family. Thank you.
Check out Winter Haven, Fl near the toll road that they recently build. Easy access to Orlando and tampa with the express way they just build not long ago. Winter Haven is also the spring training for the Cleveland Indians or use to be the Cleveland Indians unsure if they are still here if not we have another team. We also have lots of sports in the area for the youths to join. The school's are good to my understanding. My sister's kid was here for a few years from Orlando which is where I grew up and she was way behind the schools here. I was born in a small town here in Florida Avon Park. Moved to Orlando when I was younger then on to St. Pete now in Winter Haven.

The toll road also makes it easy access to go see the Buc's play football.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:04 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Best Place to raise kids is easily Tallahassee, FL.

Good schools, great weather, nice city, great parks, high quality of life.

Too cold up there for me. <g>

Old 09-15-2009, 10:50 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
Children's Health Magazine : Parents : The 100 Best (and Worst) Places to Raise a Family

Old 09-15-2009, 12:32 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
^^^Florida didn't do to well, many of us knew this.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 11,397 times
Weston florida!! best place ever!!!!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:36 AM

6 posts, read 16,764 times
Default Wanting to Relocating from Nashville, TN to Tampa, FL

I'm looking relocate from Nashville,TN To Tampa, Fl. I'm originally from Michigan and I'd like to know more about the area of New Tampa. School is important as I have a 16 yr old daughter. Other things of importance would be cost of living/safe area to reside in. I currently pay mortgage of 1200.00 monthly for a 4bdrm 2.5 bth home so I'm looking to keep right aound that amount for renting a Condo or Townhome less is always welcomed. I'm in the Healthcare industry and most of my work is contract. We're both seeking to be near nice beaches, resturants and shopping (not needed but desired). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm also seeking to join motivated organizations assisting people in need.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:49 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
As a woman who has lived here from the age of 17-22, I wouldn't want to raise a school-aged child in Florida.

More than half of the people in their 20s I have met who were raised down here used to have drug problems and are not the most intellectual of folk.

In a state where one of the biggest industries is the sex industry, pill clinics are popular, and intellect isn't valued, HELL NO!

I understand that many people were raised here I don't want to offend anyone, but Florida is just not a good place to raise kids.

Maybe up until the age of 7 or 8, but once you pass that move to a more liberal state that has good schools on a national level not on the Florida level.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:12 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I understand that many people were raised here I don't want to offend anyone, but Florida is just not a good place to raise kids.
What an absurd thing to say. Sure, Florida has plenty of odd news stories and appearances on shows like COPS, but the normal people vastly outnumber the creeps.

How can one whole state be "bad" or "not good" for children?

Old 02-24-2011, 02:40 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
Normal people..yes, but if you want your children to have opportunities on a world class level while attending public schools, Florida is not the right place for you.

I'm not saying there aren't "normal people" in Florida, but if you want your child to have the most opportunities to flourish creativity, intellectually, with exposure to well-educated people from diverse backgrounds, where being unique/different than the masses is a plus and not a minus, where superficial things are frowned upon etc. you may want to live in a liberal area with quality schools and safe neighborhoods/not Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida