Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2006, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 8,350 times

Advertisements

Found out yesterday that we are moving to Orlando. We are excited and looking for some info. It is hard to really know anything just looking at statistics over the internet. We will be working in Orlando near the airport and are kind of looking at Seminole county for the schools. Yet the realtor says there are many good schools in Orlando you just have to be in the right neighborhoods. We are also looking at Clermont (Lake county) as another relocated employee chose this location and says it was because of the good schools there. Also if you go to Kissimmee you can get more house for your money and it would be closer to work. What about the schools down that way? Any help about these areas will be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2006, 01:05 PM

10 posts, read 66,716 times
Moving to Orlando: There's good news and bad news...

It's a boomtown with typical boomtown problems.

Schools: We don't have children but the schools seems to emphasize reading and math in order to pass the FCAT to the detriment of other subjects. That problem is nationwide. As everywhere else, neighborhoods with good schools are pricier which leads to...

Homes: Unless you're from California you will be in for a shock regarding home prices. My $100,000 house in 1996 will hit the market next week for $425,000. It has lake views which drive up the price considerably.

Lake County is a county chock full of subdivisions and the building there isn't stopping. Typically, thousands of homes will be built without road upgrades or the infrastructure to support the homes. Growth in central Florida is causing many people to relocate. Lake is a very popular county for British emigres.

Lake county and Clermont are far from the airport. The commute would be a quite long even on the toll roads. I suggest you look in Seminole for easier access to the the airport. Good schools in Seminole. My former neighbors with kids moved there. A lot of people opt for private schools. Kissimmee is largely Hispanic as is much of South Orlando. Conway, near the airport, was/is a popular white enclave but has been encroached by a wave of Puerto Ricans. I'm only being descriptive. I've lived in Puerto Rico twice and liked it. (I'm a white guy from the South.) I would not recommend any schools in Kissimmee. I live not far from the airport but in an "F" school district. Like I said, we don't have kids.

Much white flight has caused the northern suburbs and exurbs to explode. Closer in, Winter Park north of downtown is quite expensive around Park Avenue but some of the neighborhoods built in the '50's and 60's are more reasonable. Generally, intown postwar built neighborhoods contain small homes/cottages for exorbitant prices and high property taxes or - at the other end of the spectrum - rundown streets populated by the lower middle.

Most white folks opt for a suburb in a large crescent swath way north of downtown around 434 and 436 all the way up northeast to DeBarrry, Deland, Eustis which is pretty far out. If you choose that option you will use I-4 to the airport and the commute will be unpleasant (he typed diplomatically). It will be a long, congested, bumper to bumper ride at almost any time of the day to almost anywhere.

So, Orlando is a victim of it's own success. Governments here have come under a good deal of recent criticism for allowing unchecked development to clog the two lane roads of once outlying areas. By the way, there are about 26 different goverments in the counties in the "four corners" area where Lake meets the corners of the other central Florida counties.

You might want to look at Windemere, which is pricey, but some neighborhoods near there are affordable and commutable to the airport.

Last edited by deanhubb; 06-29-2006 at 01:54 PM..

Old 06-29-2006, 01:48 PM

128 posts, read 641,097 times
DEANHUBB hit it right on! Listen to him (or her? sorry!) We live in Seminole County and yes, the schools are GREAT but the homes are pricey!!! Your typical 1800 square foot home here can run you over $280,000. My friend is selling her home with 1900 square feet for $318,000. The market is s-l-o-w now, so the good news is people are dropping their home prices. Ours is for sale, but we are one of the few people that are not greedy and actually selling our home at a very decent price! Good luck!

Old 06-29-2006, 01:50 PM

128 posts, read 641,097 times
Also...i LOVE Clermont, it is one of the few areas in FL that is actually very hilly, but again, the area is pricey there, too!

Old 06-30-2006, 07:27 AM

13 posts, read 194,321 times
I would try St. Cloud. Good schools, small town charm yet close enough to the parks/airport.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:51 AM

894 posts, read 4,348,998 times
My SIL and her five kids live in Clermont. I am not really impressed with the area. The houses are cookie cutter, and she had many problems with the builders. Her schools were re-zoned several times and yes it is hilly, but overrated in my opionion.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 8,350 times
Thanks for all of the info! Schools are good in St Cloud? I will check that out as it is close to where my husband will be working. I think we have decided against Clermont. We had the same concerns about builders just
"throwing em up". But maybe an older home? We will be visiting the area in a week and all of your suggestions will help us narrow down where we need to look. Thanks and keep it coming.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:45 PM

24 posts, read 242,756 times
We bought our home in Seminole County in 1989, and have been glad that we did every single day since then.

Your realtor is technically correct about looking for the "right neighborhoods" in other areas. But Seminole County happens to have a whole lot of "right neighborhoods", all next to each other.

Remember, this is your investment and your future (not your realtor's).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida