Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 01:56 PM

135 posts, read 515,081 times

Advertisements

Hi. My father is living with his wife on about 1400 month retirement. He's lived in New York for most his life. He had to retire early because of a stroke and that is why his payments are low. He is living in Puerto Rico but has sold his house there because the neighbors are horrible (have pulled out a gun on him on 2 occasions), it is noisy and not where he wishes to live anymore. He is thinking of moving to Guatemala (his wife's homeland) and believes his money will go farther there. I am trying to convince him otherwise (to move back to the states closer to me and his grandchildren). I've lived in Florida for about 4 years. He thinks he might not be able to afford living in the states.

THIS IS WHAT HE IS LOOKING FOR:

Lots of land (where he can have horses, etc) and plant lots of vegetation.
Mixed enough that there are at least a certain percentage of hispanics.
Hot but not constantly stifling weather
Decent sized home could be 2 or 3 or 4 bedroom.
Friendly community.
Hurricane safe (at least not in a high probability zone).
Low cost of living and not too far from interesting places to visit and things to do.

His price range is about 100-150K.
He is more country than beachy.

Just want people to throw some places out at me so that I don't miss out on any areas to research. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 02:41 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,684 times
The answer is yes he can afford to live in FL if he has $1400/mo income and wants a home for $100-150k. There are homes in Charlotte Co. near the beach (15 min) but they won't have acreage like PR.
You have to go inland to get acreage but I wouldn't recommend it to a senior citizen since he'll be too far from hospitals, police, services, etc.

Guatemala would make his monthly income go much farther, probably be able to get a cook and weekly maid. I've heard that real estate has gone up there but he'd have to look and see.
The bigger problem is that he wouldn't have Medicare there and that's a BIG freebie for American seniors. He could purchase a health insurance policy there but that would be added expense.

If it were me I'd head to Florida and rent for a year, decide if I like the town before buying.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:07 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
I did a quick search in Hernando County but only came up with one listing over 5 acres with a decent house. It was $142,000.

Sumter County you may have some.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:25 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Try Northeast Florida.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:05 PM

225 posts, read 644,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepawsinn View Post
1. Lots of land (where he can have horses, etc) and plant lots of vegetation.
2. Mixed enough that there are at least a certain percentage of hispanics.
3. Hot but not constantly stifling weather
4. Decent sized home could be 2 or 3 or 4 bedroom.
5. Friendly community.
6. Hurricane safe (at least not in a high probability zone).
7. Low cost of living and not too far from interesting places to visit and things to do.

His price range is about 100-150K.
He is more country than beachy.

??Poinciana?? South of Kissimmee area?? That would satisfy 1,2,4,5 and the country part.

??Somewhere in Lake County??

#6 is iffy. #7 depends on what he likes to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida