Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 10:30 AM

183 posts, read 1,133,645 times

Advertisements

I want to continue my education once I move to Ocala. Where is the closest place to do that? I definetely want to earn my master's, and I am considering going after my doctorate after that. Do you know where most people from that area go? Also, do you have any idea if that is something the district will help me to pay for? Here in NJ, schools value education enough to help finance continuing ed. for teachers, and I am hoping it is the same there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 11:57 AM

39 posts, read 53,581 times
ha, no way!!!
i have never heard of a teacher getting their master's paid for anywhere. that would have been nice

and UF is not far from Ocala

Old 06-02-2007, 04:40 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,762,288 times
I know that here in SC if you mentor a student teacher from the local university we get 3 graduate classes each time. This is how many of us have earned our Masters' Degrees without paying for them. You might inquire about this at your closest college/university.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:00 PM

183 posts, read 1,133,645 times
Thanks! I'll look into that, but since I am a brand new grad. of a teacher ed. program, and this is my 1st year teaching, I don't know if I'm qualified ot take on a student teacher just yet. I also heard about a "loan forgivness" program for teachers with student loans that is funded by the state. I was wondering if I took out a student loan for graduate school if I could pay it down every year that I teach through this state-wide program.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:16 PM

262 posts, read 937,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newteacher View Post
Thanks! I'll look into that, but since I am a brand new grad. of a teacher ed. program, and this is my 1st year teaching, I don't know if I'm qualified ot take on a student teacher just yet. I also heard about a "loan forgivness" program for teachers with student loans that is funded by the state. I was wondering if I took out a student loan for graduate school if I could pay it down every year that I teach through this state-wide program.
In Hillsborough, there are programs offered in some graduate programs where you get a certain amount "forgiven" from your student loans for each year you teach in lower-income schools. I believe this is the case in many areas, but the best thing to do is to check with the graduate school you are planning to attend. Ask the Financial Aid Director of the school for the specifics; I don't think all graduate programs offer loan forgiveness and am sure it varies in different locations.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:54 PM

54 posts, read 317,373 times
Depends on your speciality, science and math masters degrees were subsidized when they were short, now special ed. Depends on county and what Suncoaster said.
Good Luck, Florida is going to have a shortage of teachers for a long time. They couldn't pay me enough to go back into teaching, even if they did pay for my master's, well NSF did, but that was years ago.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:35 PM

101 posts, read 358,934 times
UF about 45mins. from Ocala, check out cfcc website they have classes there on-campus from UF or UCF, cfcc is in Ocala.

CM

Old 10-02-2009, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,390 times
I know that Gilchrist County paid for a selected number of teachers to pursue their masters a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if they have the same funding now. It might be worth looking into...it is not too far from UF or Ocala.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:03 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,049 times
No, because a master's degree is not even required, as it is in other states. Actually, you can sub teach with only a 2 year degree in Florida. In other states, you cannot even be a TA without that 2 year degree.

Florida standards are very LOW in comparison to other regions of the country. I will not say where. Two years ago when I moved here, there had program called, "Home Grown Teachers" where they would pay for current TA's to get a degree and become teachers in Florida. That was eliminated last year.

Last edited by TANaples; 10-02-2009 at 05:18 PM..

Old 10-02-2009, 05:36 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,395 times
Florida doesnt want Master degreed educators. They require more pay with each
step. Since they are only getting kids ready for FCATs, higher or advanced teaching
skills arent really required. I think if you want to stay employed in FL, a Masters
might actually hurt you in certain situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: