Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 09:25 PM

606 posts, read 1,234,924 times

Advertisements

My best friend has breast cancer that runs in her family, her mother died of the age 38 of breast cancer. I need your help as to where to she can go for a free mammogram in our city (we live in Orlando Florida) OR any city that is closest to Orlando as possible. She desperately need to get one done for she has not gotten one done in 2 years, she is 35. We both have been trying to do some research on this topic and she is trying to get in contact with the Susan Komen foundation to help with this. Please let me know where is a GOOD clinic/hospital that does free mammograms. I told my best friend that I would sell some of my clothes to pay for gas and any tolls to get to any city in this state if we have to, that has a GOOD clinic/hospital that will do the free mammograms, for low income people. She told me that she is in debt with the Florida hospital so she does not know if that will work. Also another note, I have been worried about her because she told me when I asked her if she does her regular BSE she said not in a while because of mild depression, that worries me that she has not done her BSE either. You have got to understand my best friend is like family to me (litterally), I have known her for almost half of my life (I am in my mid 30's).
Anyway, thank you in advance for your help on this matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 12:37 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8palmtrees View Post
My best friend has breast cancer that runs in her family, her mother died of the age 38 of breast cancer. I need your help as to where to she can go for a free mammogram in our city (we live in Orlando Florida) OR any city that is closest to Orlando as possible. She desperately need to get one done for she has not gotten one done in 2 years, she is 35. We both have been trying to do some research on this topic and she is trying to get in contact with the Susan Komen foundation to help with this. Please let me know where is a GOOD clinic/hospital that does free mammograms. I told my best friend that I would sell some of my clothes to pay for gas and any tolls to get to any city in this state if we have to, that has a GOOD clinic/hospital that will do the free mammograms, for low income people. She told me that she is in debt with the Florida hospital so she does not know if that will work. Also another note, I have been worried about her because she told me when I asked her if she does her regular BSE she said not in a while because of mild depression, that worries me that she has not done her BSE either. You have got to understand my best friend is like family to me (litterally), I have known her for almost half of my life (I am in my mid 30's).
Anyway, thank you in advance for your help on this matter.
Here is some information but I would just have one and pay for it if you can't get it for free. It is only around $175.00. It is cheap enough it is not worth screwing around if it is a real concern. The catch 22 is, what if they find something, the person doesn't have any insurance for the treatment.

To locate a FDA certified, accredited mammography facility in your area, call the National Cancer Institute at 1-800-4-CANCER. If you do not have health insurance, you have a number of options:

****Call your local chapter of the American Cancer Society (number in your phone book) or the national toll-free number, 1-800-ACS-2345. The ACS will be able to tell you about any low-cost or free mammography programs offering screening to women unable to pay for it themselves.
****Call your State Department of Health (number in your phone book). Every state now has a Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program funded by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This program offers screening to qualifying women unable to pay for it themselves.
****Call the YWCA's ENCOREplus Program for access to low-cost or free mammograms. To find which YWCA facilities offer this service and if you are eligible, call 1-800-95EPLUS or your local YWCA.
****Call the National Cancer Institute at 1-800-4-CANCER for the names of FDA-certified, accredited mammography facilities in your area. If you explain your financial situation, some mammography facilities are willing to work out a lower fee or payment schedule that will make the test more affordable. Ask the facility if they are willing to discuss these options with you.
****October of each year is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and many mammography facilities offer special fees and extended hours during this month. If you are unable to schedule a mammogram another time of year, you may wish to call in September to reserve an appointment.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 11,736 times
I hope you have already found a place for your mammogram but if not please visit libbyslegacy.com
The foundation is called libbys legacy breast cancer foundation and offers free mammograms for qualifed recipients. Please Please get in touch with them , I hope they can help you

Old 04-21-2010, 06:04 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
www.chcfl.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: