Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 05:55 PM

39 posts, read 220,297 times

Advertisements

Hi:

Can anyone recommend some of the best places to snorkel in the Keys?

I am looking into John Pennekamp, but have heard mixed reviews. What about Dry Tortugas National Park? Is the expense worth it?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated including other attractions that are a must see!!!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 06:14 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
John Pennekamp is okay but what you might want to try is going out on one of the diving tour boats. I don't dive buy my husband does and i was allowed to go out just for the ride but was able to get out and snorkel if i wanted to. I tried it and it was crystal clear 30' down beautiful coral reef and fish. The boat we went on left from Islamadora and went out to the sunken boat that was recently sunk a few years back. I'm sure if you ask about that boat, they wil know what your talking about.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:57 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times
The Dry Tortugas is SOooooo worth it. The best snorkeling experience you can get off the US mainland IMHO. We took the boat, we left early in the AM, I think it takes about 90 minutes to get there. We snorkeled for about 2 hours, they provided a delicious lunch, we relaxed and then snorkeled for another 90 minutes or so before leaving for the trip back. It cost about $60.00 per person. For $100 or so per person, you can fly over and that gives you more snorkling time.

We were able to snorkel around most of the island. The fish and the coral are like something on the Discovery Channel in living color. We did everything there was to do and see in Key West.....this was the best ever!

Old 08-12-2007, 02:09 PM

39 posts, read 220,297 times
Default Snorkeling Ideas

Thank you for the insight!!!!!

Do you know of any good campgrounds for tents with clean restrooms?

Thanks!

Old 08-12-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcoko View Post
Thank you for the insight!!!!!

Do you know of any good campgrounds for tents with clean restrooms?

Thanks!
Check Reserve America...there are 3 very nice state parks in the keys. However, they stay booked up. We've never been able to get a reservation...I guess it depends on when you're going.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:24 AM

326 posts, read 470,843 times
I have snorkelled in/around; John Pennekamp Coral Reef state park, Looe Key national marine sanctuary, and the Dry Tortugas and never had any problems whatsoever.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:00 PM

66 posts, read 313,121 times
As far as campgrounds go, Bahia Honda State Park has always looks good to me. But, I don’t think there is many snorkel spots nearby. It’s only 36 miles from Key West and I have taken snorkel tours from there out to 7 Mile Island & a couple of other locations off-shore. If the water is clear there is a county park off the east end of NAS Key West that is assessable from shore.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:17 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
We stayed at Bahia Honda in a tent. The sand fleas or whatever bugs they are were terrible. Just standing outside they were covering our legs and they were so small you could hardly see them but they sure made me itch a lot. Maybe it was just the time of year we were there which was in October but not sure. We only spent one night there. Other than that, it was a very nice park. This is the view from our tent site. [IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-13-2007, 07:23 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,591 times
Blow the budget ... take the seaplane from Key West for snorkeling at Fort Jefferson. The flight's altitude reaches only a few hundred feet and you'll be able to see shipwrecks, sea turtles and schools of dolphin and sting rays. When you get there, the snorkeling is awesome -- best I've ever experienced. I think the flights are close to $200 a person now, but it's something you have to experience at least once.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
Blow the budget ... take the seaplane from Key West for snorkeling at Fort Jefferson. The flight's altitude reaches only a few hundred feet and you'll be able to see shipwrecks, sea turtles and schools of dolphin and sting rays. When you get there, the snorkeling is awesome -- best I've ever experienced. I think the flights are close to $200 a person now, but it's something you have to experience at least once.
Oooooo..we took the boat. Next time we'll plan to do just this one excursion and blow the whole wad on the plane! Yahooo!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida