Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Civil Unions in Florida?
Yes 12 60.00%
No 8 40.00%
Maybe / Unsure 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:22 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times

Advertisements

I know many in the state are opposed to Gay marriage but I was wondering how many would or wouldn't support Civil Unions in our state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 08:27 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
After the last election I don't think state wide there would be a majority of support. You may find CD posters with or without a majority. CD is not a good gauge of how the state votes.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:24 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I know many in the state are opposed to Gay marriage but I was wondering how many would or wouldn't support Civil Unions in our state?
Marriage is just a contract between two people. I can't see any reason the same contract can't exist between two people of the same sex. I find the whole conversation silly. Who cares if two people, any two people, want to have a contract between themselves.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:54 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post

There's no legitimate reason not to permit gay marriage, whatever you want to call it.

Equal protection mandates it. Not permitting a man to marry a man, because he is a man, is sexual discrimination.

Moreover, it really should not be a matter for referendum. Constitutional rights are not subject to the whim of the majority - that's the whole point in having them. Think about Loving v. Virginia or Brown v. Board of Education: both decided in a context where the local popular vote would have been in favor of outlawing interracial marriage or in favor of segregation, respectively.

This is why we have courts to rule on constitutionality. I believe legalized homosexual marriage is a legal inevitability, nationwide.

So we all might as well get used to it, because it's going to happen, sooner or later.

The Moderator cut: People will get over it, just like they learned to live with Loving and Brown. Or not. Why should anyone care if they don't?

Last edited by doggiebus; 03-12-2010 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: You don't have to use that word!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:33 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Marriage is just a contract between two people. I can't see any reason the same contract can't exist between two people of the same sex. I find the whole conversation silly. Who cares if two people, any two people, want to have a contract between themselves.?
The Creator who made us. He said One man and One woman ; that settles it . You dont want to live in a society where people do as they wish...even though that sounds like it would offer alot of freedom. It isnt in the least.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:25 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
I'm not for civil unions; rather, I am for full marriage. Like previous posters have mentioned, marriage is just a contract between two people. I don't care what other people do. Someone's lifestyle is of no business to me. There's simply no good reason to prevent homosexual couples for marrying. It's not like marriage is still some sacred institution...it's been cheapened beyond belief for years.

And you can't use "Well God said so!" as a legitimate reason for why homosexuals shouldn't be able to marry, as it's a logical fallacy.

Will Florida allow civil unions or, for that matter, full marriage? I doubt it, at least for a few more years.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
The Creator who made us. He said One man and One woman ; that settles it . You dont want to live in a society where people do as they wish...even though that sounds like it would offer alot of freedom. It isnt in the least.
Then leave it between them and their God, whatever form He make take for them.

Do you think it shoud be your business, or better yet, the governments?

Old 03-12-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I'm not for civil unions; rather, I am for full marriage. Like previous posters have mentioned, marriage is just a contract between two people. I don't care what other people do. Someone's lifestyle is of no business to me. There's simply no good reason to prevent homosexual couples for marrying. It's not like marriage is still some sacred institution...it's been cheapened beyond belief for years.

And you can't use "Well God said so!" as a legitimate reason for why homosexuals shouldn't be able to marry, as it's a logical fallacy.

Will Florida allow civil unions or, for that matter, full marriage? I doubt it, at least for a few more years.

Equal protection mandates civil unions, IMHO.

As for calling it marriage or not, I think eventually they will have to on First Amendment grounds. Where is the compelling state interest in making people call their relationship something other than what they understand it to be?

Old 03-12-2010, 11:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
You think it's OK to push your religious agenda on the rest of us, although my guess is that you'd be the one screaming the loudest if a Mosque went up in your neighborhood.

The constritution references "God" but it doesn't reference the Baptist/Catholic/Methodist/Pentacostal/etc. God. It references God ONLY as a supreme being with Agnostic intentions, not in that any particular religious rhetoric should serve in teh creation of law in this country.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:25 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:

If it does not cause negative effects for others, then that freedom should be allowed.

Lead your life the way YOU see fit according to YOUR God, but do not expect others to follow suit. The Amish have the best philosophy. They live according to THEIR interpretation of the Bible, and do not try to recruit others to their lifestyle choice.

Live by example, and keep your dogma out of the laws of the land. Someday, "Christianity" may not be the dominant religion in the country, and I'd be damned if I let someone tell me "Sharia" was "God's will" and that we shouldn't afford freedoms to women, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida