Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:21 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
You might want to check your facts. John Travolta lives in Ocala...actually a small town outside of Ocala. He also is into Scientology not End Times Ministries. So he does not live in a "compound".
OOPs. My bad. You are right. I knew he lived up thar somewhere...... He is a favorite of mine. I love every movie he ever made and wish him the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 05:27 PM

210 posts, read 665,018 times
Florida will always be the South...it just has occupied areas like Miami, West Palm Beach, Key West. You can compare these places with other places in the South inundated with yankees and transplants: Atlanta, Birmingham (founded by yankees), Charleston proper(many yankee transplants), Nashville (many yankees from Ohio and further north. One area that is the exception is BelleMeede), Franklin TN, Ashville, Ralieigh, Richmond.

Here is a list of towns in North, Central and even South Florida where you will find the DEEP SOUTH!

Marianna FL, Live Oak FL, Plant City FL, Fernandina Beach FL, Daytona BEach FL, Lake City FL, Brooksville FL, Fort Pierce FL, Okeechobee FL, Apalachicola FL, Panama City FL, Chiply FL, Quincey FL, Bonifay FL, Defuniak Springs FL, Milton FL, Wewahitchka FL, Homestead FL, Stuart, Clewiston FL, Bartow FL, Floral CIty, HOmosassa Springs FL, St Augustine FL, ORmaond Beach, Lake Butler, Cross CIty FL, Madison FL, Monticello FL, Jasper FL, Havana Fl, Mexico Beach FL, Port St. Joe FL, Detin FL, Ft. Walton Beach FL, Perry FL, Chiefland FL, Lamont FL, Blountstown FL, Graceville FL, Crestview FL, NIceville FL, Miramar Beach FL, Gasparilla Island FL, LAguna Beach FL, Carabelle FL, Alligator Point FL< St. George Island FL, Steinhatchee FL, Starke FL, Palatka FL, Dunnellon FL, Inverness FL, Fish HAwk FL, St. Cloud FL, Immokalee FL, Belle Glade FL, Labelle FL, Wauchula FL, Lake Placid FL

Old 07-06-2010, 05:34 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeFloridan View Post
Florida will always be the South...it just has occupied areas like Miami, West Palm Beach, Key West. You can compare these places with other places in the South inundated with yankees and transplants: Atlanta, Birmingham (founded by yankees), Charleston proper(many yankee transplants), Nashville (many yankees from Ohio and further north. One area that is the exception is BelleMeede), Franklin TN, Ashville, Ralieigh, Richmond.

Here is a list of towns in North, Central and even South Florida where you will find the DEEP SOUTH!

Marianna FL, Live Oak FL, Plant City FL, Fernandina Beach FL, Daytona BEach FL, Lake City FL, Brooksville FL, Fort Pierce FL, Okeechobee FL, Apalachicola FL, Panama City FL, Chiply FL, Quincey FL, Bonifay FL, Defuniak Springs FL, Milton FL, Wewahitchka FL, Homestead FL, Stuart, Clewiston FL, Bartow FL, Floral CIty, HOmosassa Springs FL, St Augustine FL, ORmaond Beach, Lake Butler, Cross CIty FL, Madison FL, Monticello FL, Jasper FL, Havana Fl, Mexico Beach FL, Port St. Joe FL, Detin FL, Ft. Walton Beach FL, Perry FL, Chiefland FL, Lamont FL, Blountstown FL, Graceville FL, Crestview FL, NIceville FL, Miramar Beach FL, Gasparilla Island FL, LAguna Beach FL, Carabelle FL, Alligator Point FL< St. George Island FL, Steinhatchee FL, Starke FL, Palatka FL, Dunnellon FL, Inverness FL, Fish HAwk FL, St. Cloud FL, Immokalee FL, Belle Glade FL, Labelle FL, Wauchula FL, Lake Placid FL
Where did you get that list.? I would not call places like Mexico Beach FL, Miramar Beach FL, or Daytona Beach FL along with a few more as "Deep South". A few may be deep south New York.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:46 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
And the Ft. Walton Beach-Destin-Niceville area south of Eglin AFB is inherently not Deep South because there really weren't any Southerners there to begin with. There were only about 5,000 people total in the county before local leaders lobbied to turn Choctawhatchee National Forest over to the Department of War back in the 1940s in the hopes it would bring economic development to the area. The resulting population is pretty diverse in terms of place of origin and what they consider to be cultural heritage. (The two most followed pro football teams down here are the Saints and Steelers)

I'd still call Crestview somewhat southern; it was an actual moderately thriving city in its own right before the Air Force showed up.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:50 PM

109 posts, read 439,915 times
I have a hard time with that extensive list. Not only do some of the areas listed smell of northern influx but come on, "Belle Glades" is Southern Charm.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:46 AM

122 posts, read 181,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Vineyards View Post
I have a hard time with that extensive list. Not only do some of the areas listed smell of northern influx but come on, "Belle Glades" is Southern Charm.

Agreed. as is clewiston, la belle, and pahokee. and they all happen to be in south florida

Old 08-02-2010, 08:50 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,836 times
Is Okeechobee, FL a southern town?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:17 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I suppose what is "progress" to one person is destruction to another.

Progress to me is NOT building cookie cutter developments all over FL. If people think that is progress, then their heads are in the wrong place. I think FL should have the city and the country without any of those inbetween stale places that kill culture. It only looks good on paper to be far from the city, yet closer than people an hour or more into the bushes.. the life is not sustainable and people drive even more and pollute the air even more. Neighbors are close yet you are located far from any major urban center.
Progress, I dont think so. Progress to me means becoming more tollerant of others, not building through nature and building all kinds of chain stores where all those con men and *******s are attracted to moving to.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:05 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoKC View Post
Florida is the most southern state in the country. By geography.
Well, the second-most, anyway. There is Hawai'i, after all, which is well south of Florida.

But the OP asked about 'Southern', not 'southern'.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:49 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Is Okeechobee, FL a southern town?
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida