Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:29 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times

Advertisements

I've tried for many years but I've come to the conclusion that I'm absolutely ungifted at cooking. (And I'm too lazy plus fatigued after coming home from work.)

And I'm completely sick of pretty much all the restaurants out there, at least the ones I can afford.

So I figure I'll just survive on a diet of just fresh fruits, vegetables, cheese, etc. (preferably organic) and maybe some eggs/bacon/spam, etc. thrown in for proteins.

Can a person survive on a diet where maybe 80% of all food is only the following:

- Uncooked vegetables (like lettuce, tomatoes, brocolli, carrots, etc.)
- Nuts
- Uncooked fruits
- A little bit of cheese, eggs, and or bacon.. or any animal products that don't require extensive preparation.

I don't eat that much junk food, at least the super sugary kind. Never ever really liked it in the first place..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 10:51 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,815 times
I'm sure you could live on that okay, but if you're looking for a no cook solution, I make wraps all the time.

I keep containers with thin strips of red, yellow & green bell peppers, tomatoes, avocado & thinly sliced cucumbers. Take a tortilla, add your veggies & cheese, pour on some dressing (I like balsamic vinaigrette), you can add meat if you like. I slice & dice everything in advance so all I have to do is put on what I want & wrap the tortilla. Voilà. If that's too labor intensive I'd suggest a bowl of cereal or oatmeal every now & again.

Courtney

Old 10-12-2010, 11:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Get out the biggest cooking pot you have. Throw in:

-- a pound or two of meat (a chicken leg quarter, or a chunk of roasting beef or pork).
-- a pound of carrots
-- a few big onions
-- a couple of green peppers
-- a few stalks of celery
-- some tomatoes.
-- a couple pounds of potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled.
(all those things except the meat will have to be cut up, and the onions peeled.)
Put in a lot of coarse-ground black pepper and a pinch of salt.
Fill the pot the rest of the way with water, put a lid on it, and let it go for several hours on medium heat while you're watching TV or something. If you're a worry wort, check it once in a while to make sure the water hasn't boiled away. If it does, just add some more.

There. Wasn't that easy? When its done, put it in the fridge. (If you used chicken, pick the meat off the bones, and throw the bones away. If it was beef or pork, cut it up into pieces.) Every day, ladle out as much as you can eat, bring it to a boil in a sauce pan, and eat it with a nice loaf of french or italian bread and butter. It will last a week.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:22 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,597,475 times
In addition to the cereal Courtney suggested, I'd add...

canned tuna
canned beans
starches of all kinds - bread, potato, rice, couscous, crackers
peanut butter

You can get a little rice cooker at walmart for $20. To me it's well worth it. Half a cup of rice, half a cup of water, push the button down and it pops up when it's done. Easy peasy.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:16 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,355,097 times
At some point I think you will get tired of the no cooking/eating out routine. If you have a farmer's market near you, many of them have home-cooked foods that you can pick up for the week. Really good and you always have a good hot meal for dinner. Even though I like to cook when I have time, we went to one of the farmer's markets in our area yesterday and picked up chili, mac and cheese, and sliced turkey that they roast. We added veggies and dessert and will eat for the next 5 days. Our other farmer's market has a local caterer who prepares family and single-sized meals. Of course, there is nothing healthier than veggies and fruits.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:20 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,494,501 times
your diet sounds fine--in fact better than fine...untill you get to your proteins...
you cant have bacon and eggs and spam every day.
if you really think its too much for you to grill up some chicken or turkey breasts on your stove about once a week, then i would definately go with some low sodium deli meats, canned beans, canned tuna or canned salmon. just something to change it up...

Old 10-13-2010, 07:33 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Get a crock pot and use it - it is sooo easy just to throw a roast and a few veggies in there, or do a pot of chili, or some cheap Boston butt and make "faux barbecue." And by making a large roast or whatever, you can have meals for a few days - meat for sandwiches, tacos, wraps,etc.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:55 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,917 times
For some variety, try some preserved fish such as smoked salmon, pickled herring, kippers, anchovies, etc. The fatty acids found in these fish are important to your diet.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:03 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,548 times
nobody has mentioned that most supermarkets these days have precooked meals, like the ones near the deli meats. All you have to do is heat them up. Also buy a couple of those rotisserie chickens and use them for protein. I can sympathize with you; I too am exhausted and drained after work. Remember too that pasta is so easy and you can add frozen meatballs and jar sauce (Barilla is really good) for a quick meal. I know it's cooking, but it's really not COOKING.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,837,069 times
There is a growing trend of "cooked for you" meals. Place an add looking for a home cook to make you "cook to order" freezer/fridge meals. The home cook can take $5 and make a materpiece. and you have a vast variety of dishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink