Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 03:09 PM

988 posts, read 1,830,435 times

Advertisements

In spite of my generally conservative stance on many things, I (at least half-a@@) indulge my inner hippie and do much of my grocery shopping at Trader Joe's - so picked up a TJ brand turkey there that is "all-natural, vegetarian fed". The turkey was probably also lovingly messaged and treated to aromatherapy before being sent off into that good night...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 03:39 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,835,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
In spite of my generally conservative stance on many things, I (at least half-a@@) indulge my inner hippie and do much of my grocery shopping at Trader Joe's - so picked up a TJ brand turkey there that is "all-natural, vegetarian fed". The turkey was probably also lovingly messaged and treated to aromatherapy before being sent off into that good night...
I don't know if it was a one off, but a few years ago I did get a TJ turkey and it was not good. Dry, tasteless and just not good. And it was the exact same recipe I always did too, nothing new. I returned the half eaten carcass and they refunded me all my money back and plus offered something else. They were really nice about it.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:54 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,003,960 times
I always get a fresh turkey. I order it from a local farm and pick it up the day before Thanksgiving.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:06 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,942,268 times
Our family's favorite has always been Jaindl. (I had no idea until just Goggling that they provided White House turkeys). But we live locally and I got out to the farm store each year with my mom and get one.
Jaindl Farms | Whole Foods Market

Old 11-22-2014, 11:33 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,708,963 times
You should have seen the look on my dad's face when we served prime rib for Thanksgiving.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:05 AM

988 posts, read 1,830,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I don't know if it was a one off, but a few years ago I did get a TJ turkey and it was not good. Dry, tasteless and just not good. And it was the exact same recipe I always did too, nothing new. I returned the half eaten carcass and they refunded me all my money back and plus offered something else. They were really nice about it.
Hmmm...well, I'm all in now so hopefully yours was a one-off (not that I wish you ill...). I'll still try it and see what happens. I'm actually serving it for Christmas but wanted to make sure I have a turkey so I bought it now.

That said, their signs all say "if you don't like it, bring it back". I'll have to keep this in mind. I don't think I have my receipt (how often do you really expect to return groceries?) though used a card this time instead of cash; maybe they can look it up. I suppose if I walk in with a half eaten turkey and the bag with their label it will be a little tough to dispute it theirs, right?

Not to mention, I usually go each Sunday and try to check out with the same cashier; maybe she will remember my turkey purchase. I'm old enough to be her very young father, but she's cute and it's still fun to have innocent, harmless chat while she rings me up before I go back to the humdrum world...

Old 11-23-2014, 02:17 AM

15,130 posts, read 32,358,765 times
I buy a store brand turkey every year, and they taste just fine to me. I do the same with a ham for Christmas. It's just me, and I share with my cat. I like to eat leftovers, so I freeze meals in plastic storage containers for when I don't feel like cooking.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:48 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,398,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
That last sentence gave me all warm fuzzies to read

Old 11-23-2014, 03:59 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,398,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Turkey Taste Test - America's Test Kitchen[/url]
I am a huge fan of America's Test Kitchen. If you are into cooking subscribe to their magazine, always amazing articles to read.
Normally I try to get a local farm turkey. I did not order one this year, but most of the time I have luck getting one at the last minute. I just call the farm and usually they still have some.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:18 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,036,575 times
I have always found Kosher Turkeys for whatever reason to be the best so this year I'm trying a Kosher Valley Turkey which is available at Whole Foods, you can also find another company's (Empire Kosher) turkeys available at most supermarkets. There's a marked difference in my opinion between the mass produced-Butterballs and the turkeys that are raised humanely in terms of their flavor/texture, probably due to their diet and access to the outdoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink